PDA

View Full Version : How would you approach this pond?

HorizonWalker
03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Here's a little pond (500 ft long, 100-300ft across at sections) that I fish occasionally, it's on private land but my uncle was able to get permission from the owner. Apparently a few groups of people have trashed it and I've heard access might end up getting shut off entirely.

It's sad because I feel it's a perfect beginners/practicing spot that I would, eventually, love to take my kids to. All fishing here has been catch and release due to that idea. Plus, well, they probably aren't the cleanest or biggest fish you'd want to take home.

To compound the issue is that last time I went a mining company was doing a geological test of the area to decide if they wanted to buy it or not. I asked the team lead about whether they would open up the pond for the community and his response was "Maybe, yeah, we'd love to. Yeah. Totally. We'll have to talk with our lawyers. Maybe-ish." So not very promising.

I'm using it here as an example to get a better idea of how to hit bodies of water for different species.

So, we'll break down the three sections I've fished.

Blue Gill/Bass: This small area always has little Blue Gill swimming around together. Very popular spot for kids to catch something. The biggest I've seen is maybe 4"? Every now and then we'll see a big (for this pond, 6-7") bass checking out the fish. The last time my niece caught a Blue Gill and threw it back in, one hit it but didn't do anything with it and swam away. About 50 feet away, the grey star, is a big rock sticking up and out of the pond maybe 10 ft. I've gotten bites around the base of it but never managed to hook anything. We used gold colored spinner baits, but they mostly hit on the local grasshoppers you could find.

Cat Fish/Bass: This area is a small incline down to the waters edge. It's an easy place to fish off of but not much luck has been had. Fox tails and other water weeds can be found clumped sporadically along the bank, but for the most part it's cleared near the center of the yellow line. A 7" bass and a small catfish has been caught off of here. We caught the catfish and bass on powerbait.

Bass: When I first came here, this is where I had all of my luck. I was able to keep pulling out small bass (4-5") pretty routinely and it was a blast to see them swim as fast as they do by the bait. There was a small amount of water weeds, but nothing you couldn't fish next to or around. The last time I went, the weeds had exploded and taken over the small area. It was a hassle, but I still tried with no luck. Both times I used a soft bait segmented in two places that allowed realistic movement. It's one of my favorite types to use.

The water depth is perhaps between the 10-20 ft range near the center? Not really sure, doesn't really look like the type of water I'd want to swim in.

The edges above the blue line are pretty steep, but if you trek up and around you can find a few spots to cast off of. Right across the yellow line is a long straight bank with a decent incline. Combine this with a ton of weeds and it's almost impossible to fish from.

Behind that edge is a small land bridge which separates another body of water. I've never fished back in there, and a few of my friends have tried, but it's basically weed city.

--------------

I hope this is detailed enough to get some good responses.

I haven't been back to the pond in about 5-6 months. Not sure of it's current state or owner.

So, how would you approach this pond? What gear would you use where, when, and why?

Thanks.

- HorizonWalker.

49erbassman
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
My first thing is to find out what the forage is and use baits that imitate what the fish eat on a daily basis. When temps get warm I bet top water frogs would work well. For ponds I like bluegill imitation lures or something close to a mosquito fish since most ponds are stocked with mosquito fish

If all else fails I use a senko or other stick type bait.

Sent from my iPhone

GUSANO
03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
That place has to hold bigger fish. There's a lot of structure in and around the pond. Wax worms (panfish), nightcrawlers (bass and cats), even grasshoppers you find around there under a bobber over or close to the under water structure. Just get the fish away from the structure once its hooked. It does look like panfish heaven there.
~

dabalone
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Approach it and fish it is my approach. Small water which gets fished makes for wary fish, clearer the water the more wary the fish. Stealth can sometimes be the most important key to small clear water. Warm water species, approach it and fish it with warm water tactics use what you have most confidence in, every new water big or small takes putting in some time to figure it out.

Nor*Cal
03-06-2013, 03:36 PM
By no means am I an expert but I would say use night crawlers and blow them up with a worm blower. Aside from that since there are bluegill, I would use a storm wildeye live sunfish to get some of them big girls. You can also catch a small blue gill and hook it by its dorsal fin and try to get a bass off of that. Good luck to ya! Let us know how you do!

Trout Tracker
03-09-2013, 05:54 AM
Tackle box in one hand.
Fishing pole in the other.
And night crawlers.
Have a great time.

Marv
03-10-2013, 11:04 AM
If the fish are on the small side as you describe, you should try a grasshopper colored tube jig 1 1/2'' in size on a 1/32oz. jig head. You will catch everything in the pond on that. Bluegill also love the powerbait trout worms and gulp earthworms. Also a lure worth taking would be a SMALL in-line spinner (rooster tail).

allkokedup
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Ask the Guy From The Mining Company For Some Dynamite.........:osama2c6df: