PDA

View Full Version : argetina doves

buzzardsluck
03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I live in the foot hills between Auburn and Lincoln. We have these birds that are twice as big as a morning. They make the same sound except they sound like they have a cold. Some one told me they an invasive dove from Argentina. Any body confirm.

Buzzard

crawdaddundee
03-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Eurasian Collared-Doves conquering America | Project FeederWatch Blog (http://projectfeederwatch.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/eurasian-collared-doves-conquering-america/)

Yes.......They are called eurasian collared doves. Last dove season Sept 1,2013 my partner and I killed 3 on opening day. I understand that there is no limit on these doves but don't quote me on that. I really don't see any problem with them being in the area. The regular morning doves that have always been here come and go in the usual numbers they always have. The eurasians tend to get into an area and stay. They are beautiful birds, great eating and hell of easy to shoot since they don't fly as fast or eratically as the morning doves. Hope this link helps you........

buzzardsluck
03-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Yes that is the bird. Thanks. This fish sniffer is just like my local cigar shop, you find just about any thing you want here.

buzzard

Hof
03-23-2013, 07:31 PM
They are non native and There is no limit in them during the season because they fear they may over take the mourning doves. Seeing more and more of them where I hunt.

Hof

BigUnInDaBoat
06-10-2013, 11:15 AM
They are non native and There is no limit in them during the season because they fear they may over take the mourning doves. Seeing more and more of them where I hunt.

Hof

Can you show me the section in the regs where it says there is no limit on them? I couldn't find it.

tonsofun
08-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Ok. So I had the pleasure of running into a game warden last opening day. My friend made a comment about wishing we got some eurasian doves so we could get more. We were promptly informed that they are bigger but still count towards your bag limit. I asked about hte no limit and he said that the regs never stated so. He had heard that from other hunters but didnt know where that came from. I couldnt believe it so I went home and pulled out the book. It listed off all these types of doves includeing euarasian were all counted towards a daily bag limit of 10. Better to air on the side of caution.

D Fish
08-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Ok. So I had the pleasure of running into a game warden last opening day. My friend made a comment about wishing we got some eurasian doves so we could get more. We were promptly informed that they are bigger but still count towards your bag limit. I asked about hte no limit and he said that the regs never stated so. He had heard that from other hunters but didnt know where that came from. I couldnt believe it so I went home and pulled out the book. It listed off all these types of doves includeing euarasian were all counted towards a daily bag limit of 10. Better to air on the side of caution.

-Eurasian collard doves, spotted doves and ring turtled-doves-(NO BAG LIMIT) -Morning Doves and white winged doves(10per day) Read the Regs it states it clearly on the DFG website.. Im afraid to say, but I think the warden you spoke to was wrong:posteroops2lu:

GUSANO
08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
take a copy of the upland game booklet with you. Sometimes a warden needs to do his/her homework and forgot it to actually do it and needs to be taught by us "law abbiding hunters" about new regs. lol...

Species
1. Seasons
2. Daily Bag and Possession Limits

(B) Doves (Mourning doves, white-winged doves, spotted doves, Eurasian collared-doves, and ringed turtle-doves)
September 1 - 15 and from the second Saturday in November extending for 45 days
Bag Limit:
Spotted doves, Eurasian collared-doves, and ringed turtle-doves: no bag limit.
Mourning doves and white-winged doves: 10 doves per day in aggregate
Possession Limit:
Spotted doves, Eurasian collared-doves, and ringed turtle-doves: no possession limit
Mourning doves and white-winged doves: double the daily bag limit in aggregate

GUSANO
08-05-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm not down talking wardens or LEO's, they are great informers but when you stump'em at their own game, the looks on their face is priceless... lol...
Always carry a reg booklet with you to make your case and show them you're right! It only weighs a couple ounces and saves you a court date! I got out of a ticket from a BLM ranger this way hunting quail with a pellet gun on BLM land. There are other LEO's out there that don't know the full hunting regs.
~

Jetspray
08-06-2013, 06:52 AM
I feed close to 25 to 50 in my backyard feeders everyday. During the winter I have up to 200 quail as well. 4 thistle feeders, 1 sunflower feeder, 2 regular bird seed feeders, 2 humming bird feeders and 4 bird baths.I go through about 40 lbs of birdseed, 1 10 lb bag of thistle, 20 lbs of scratch chicken feed, and half gallon of hummer food " A WEEK".........Jetspray