PDA

View Full Version : Any good trout rivers up here? (southern California transplant)

BassNoobRob
04-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Hello Fishsniffers… My dad is coming into town in about a week and he wants to go trout fishing. We are both pretty experienced trout anglers, but we need advice on where to go. My dad regularly fly fishes down south, and I practically grew up pulling trout out of the mighty Kern near Bakersfield. But, I just moved here pretty recently, so I’m not really sure where we should go.

Neither one of us wants to soak powerbait or sit in a boat all day and troll. (only have one kayak anyway) We are looking for a relatively accessible river with some trails boulders, riprap, trees and pools…in other words, good wading and fly water…

What I have looked at so far is the upper upper Feather River, or some of the other rivers above Lake Oroville… I’m in Sacramento, so I would really like to explore a little closer to home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My only other option is to just drive to Oroville, go into the fist fly shop that we see, and ask them where to go!

IronClad
04-10-2013, 06:07 AM
There is not much up this way that is open. The north fork feather isnt as good as it used to be anyway. PG&E drops the flows inbetween the power houses to make it easier to fish but all it did was promote an extreme amount of alge and tons of hardheads started to show up. The middle fork feather is open but ive never fished it. Havent really been able to figure out where else to go =\ ive been looking as well and ive lived here all my life lol !

Captain Compassion
04-10-2013, 06:31 AM
You are a couple of weeks early. Many of the stremes in the Sierra are closed until April 27. The American can be quite good. but have to check regs to mane sure the the area you are fishing is open. The Eastern Sierra waters such as the Carsons and W. Walker are closed. The Truckee in California east of Truckee is open in spots but is special regs. Flows are increasing due to spring run off.

CC

Shoreman
04-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Like CC said, the season doesn't open until the 27th. If your Dad will still be here, you can try the South Fork of the American from Crystal Basin Road upstream to Echo Summit. Up Oroville way is the feather and I know for a fact that there are some big fish if you get up Highway 70 around Belden. You might also head out Highway 20 and go up Marysville Rd past Browns Valley. There should be some small streams up there. If you want to head back the way you came, Angels Creek in Angels Camp is stocked on a regular basis although it is tight quarters when you fish. Good luck.

OYD
04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
There are some places to fish artificials only with barbless hooks this time of year with zero take. You will need a copy of the 2013 regs to be sure you are in the correct areas that are open. Some sections of the Truckee river are open with special regs. The little Truckee between Boca and Stampede is open with special regs. Putah creek is open with special regs. Much of the Sacramento river is open with special regs. These areas would seem to fit into your criteria of wading and fly fishing. Just need to be artificials and barbless and all trout must be released. I stress again-get a copy of the 2013 regulations and search the special regulations section for open waters. Good luck.

M_C
04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
The Sacramento in the Redding area is producing quite a few nice fish.

BassNoobRob
04-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Okay, rivers and streams with special regulations I have seen; rivers being completely closed is totally new to me. I am reading 2013 regulations as I type…

Thank you all because this is very helpful information

ktmquad
04-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I should have a report for the east walker and possibly the east carson as well by this weekend. I'm heading up there today

BassNoobRob
04-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Okay, after a few days of using my magic crystal ball (Google Earth), I think that the South Fork of the American River will absolutely hit the spot. Tons of laydowns and boulders, it’s perfect! The regulations will not be a problem because we always catch and release everything. I get lectures for even taking trout out of the water…

I will be researching tactics in the next couple of days, but if anyone wants to offer some suggestions (location or flys/lures) I would not turn them away. Also, If anyone knows of any hatches that we should be aware of, that would be helpful…

Thanks for all the help/advice, I do appreciate it very much. Hopefully I will have a good report to share. I will try and document the day and post it all here.

Thanks!

Shoreman
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I was by the South Fork of the American yesterday and it still looks good. These pictures were taken on Tuesday on the Highway 50 bridge. In this area I've only fished it with Panther Martins. Further up I've used dry's and had pretty good luck. You can stop in any time at my blog or email me at mkautz@volcano.net.

http://www.northerncaliforniatrout.com/

Mark