PDA

View Full Version : Rigging for halibut?

SLOfisher
06-09-2006, 08:23 PM
How do you guys rig up to drift for halibut? Friend of mine just got a new Trophy, and he want's to try drifting in the bay one day next week. I've never done this before, so I'm looking for any information that you think might be helpful.

Thanks.

bigworm
06-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Congrats to your buddy on his new boat. I bought its brother the striper. I was wondering the same. Where are you guys going to go? I heard SF Bay was good for the buts but where? Going to San Pablo Bay tomorrow but would rather be fishing for hali's ;)

SLOfisher
06-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Bigworm:

We're going to Morro Bay. We both live just on the other side of the bay in Los Osos, and wanted to get his boat in the water and check it out. We'd really like to try for some 'buts, however we're both new to that kind of fishing. They have been catching a few small ones in the bay, but if we don't have any luck there, we'll make a short run to the kelp beds and catch a mess of rockfish.

bigworm
06-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I thought you could'nt rockfish from the boat yet... your like me a rookie to the boat thing and rules? From shore its open all year from boats their are closures. I'll be out i think by treasure island - between both bays. trying a little striper, shark and hali action. Yeh, were rookies too but your not born natural fishermen... gotta work real hard all of the time as much as your girl will let you and the gas card can hold. :'(

keciga1
06-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Get a 3way spreader, tie your main line to one end about a foot of 10-15lb leader to a snap swivel for the weight, and about 4-5ft leader to your hook to tie the hook use the rapala knot or any kind of a loop knot. For the hook you can use anywhere between a 2/0-4/0 live bait hook, get yourself some live bait and when you put it on the hook, hook it from the bottom jaw through the nose. Good luck and keep us posted. Try over by west side of Treasure Island, by the end of the Alameda rockwall or the Berkeley flats. Hey SLOfish how is the rockfishing down there? I was donw at Morro bay about 2yrs ago and the fishing was awsome. Went out of Virg's landing.

superx2
06-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Do any of you guys use plastic sinker slides instead of a three way swivel to a dropper? just wondering

rplcmint
06-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I've used a egg sinker, a bead and a hook (dropper) back in the Florida waters for Flounder. The bead prevents the egg sinker from sliding all the way down to the hook.

Back there we used live finger mullet.

I can't wait to try it out here for halibut! Going to Monterey tomorrow!!

SLOfisher
06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey SLOfish how is the rockfishing down there? I was donw at Morro bay about 2yrs ago and the fishing was awsome. Went out of Virg's landing.[/quote]

They've been catching limits of rockfish every day for the last week, or so - even with the wind blowing them off of the water by early afternoon. *Talked to a couple of guys yesterday, who had been out on one of Virg's boats. *They were supposed to be out until 3:00pm, but all 12 people on the boat had their limits by noon.

By the way, Bigworm, rockfish has been open down here for a while, but I don't think it opens up north until July 1.

fitz22
06-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Slofisher, *pre tied halibut/striper live bait rigs are available at all the local shops and if not KEGICA gave you the skinny. *After you have decided whereto drift the next step is choosing how much weight? *enough so that your line stays vertical under the boat wth your weight suspended 6 inches off the bottom constant adjustment on certain drifts is a must. *If you see the bite pull out line 3-6 feet (so he can eat it ) wait for your rod to load and set hook. *After playing the fish boatside gaff or net ( I prefer to gaff because if its close to 22 inches wont keep anyway just shake off and netting is harder on the fish removes slime and cuts fins ) be sure to keep head in water they go apes**t if you dont. *Smack on head with bat pull gill throw in dead box and repeat, 3 times for each fisherperson on board. *PS the fish are in pods so really work any area you catch or see fish caught in . *good luck *and the locals are usually on 67 68 69 vhs ;) ;) ;)

whiterhino
06-24-2006, 07:36 AM
What up dude?
Keep it as simple as possible.....

Tie a dropper loop.....since you will be in the bay, all you really need is maybe a 4 oz. torpedo sinker. Leave about 2ft. of line for your hook. If you don't know how to tie a dropper loop, you might wanna check it out.. Don't really know how to explain on how to do it on a forum, but it is really simple. And for buts, live bait is always best, but since we live up hear, it is hard to come by at times.. So what I would do is buy a bag of frozen squid and chovies.. Drift w/ the squid for a while and if nothing, on to the chovies....I work at a local tackle retailer, and I had a guy come in earlier this week and told me on his first drop in the bay, he hooked a legal. All together in his day of fishing, he claimed that there were 4 legals on his skiff and a bunch of shorts....Makes me very happy...I came from the South Bay, so I grew up driftin for buts...And yes, I will be on the hunt for them in the Bay as well....So good luck to all....Maybe we will run across one another...Later

whiterhino
06-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Oh yeah, that dude claims he was using live smelt....So if you can catch some, might wanna give it a try....