PDA

View Full Version : Super Lines For Heavy Saltwater

drift
06-16-2006, 08:50 PM
*Does anyone here use braided or super lines like Power Pro or Spiderwire for heavy saltwater use? I've been fishing for bat rays a lot recently and have found that I need much heavier line and a lot more of it. These super lines seem to be the answer, and I'm thinking of picking up some 100# test braid, which is equivalent to the diameter of 20 pound test monofilament. I'm just worried that it will be hard to cast or be very abrasive. Any input is appreciated.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?rid=&indexId=cat600395&navAction=push& navCount=7&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&parentType=index& parentId=cat600395&id=0011779

rgp58
06-17-2006, 08:45 AM
I use 30# Power Pro braid for Salmon mooching on a Cabelas Depthmaster Gold DMG-30L with a Shimano Talora TLA-86M-2 rod. *Couldn't be happier.

drift
06-17-2006, 10:13 PM
thanks for the reply. I'm gonna go ahead and get the stuff then.

donzitroller
06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
For salmon I use Tuff Line XP 30. I'm going to use XP 65 for the rocks this year just to try it out. So far I've been happy with the 30 but that's been off the rigger, not mooching. I've heard some bad things bout braid, but I like less water resistance and the ability to go to a stronger line with a lower mono equivalent. My $0.02

keciga1
06-18-2006, 07:49 PM
That might be a little too heavy. You will need alot of weight to keep it on the bottom and it will be hard to cast with all that weight. I would go with 65lb at the most. I have tried 80lb and it was hard to keep the bait on the bottom. 50 or 65 would do just fine.

Fishbutt21
06-18-2006, 09:02 PM
I fish *Tuff line 35 but its not the XP for sturgeon and rockfish and it works great for both.the 35 works well for rockfish since its sensitive and still lite enough to break off if snagged.
65 seems to high to break if your snagged and not break a rod

keciga1
06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
There is a certain way you can break the line without braking your rod tip. If you tighten your drag to the max hold your spool with your hand or finger if you are using a baitcasting style reel and point your rod straight at the place you got snagged it will put all the preasure at the line and not the rod. 65# might be too much but sometimes the sinker is barely stuck on a rock and with the hevier line you can pull it from the rocks, thus saving your line, leader and sinkers.

donzitroller
06-19-2006, 03:32 AM
65 braid, 60 mono main leader, 50 mono on hooks, 20 mono sinker drop line. Sinker snagged up, pop it off.. keep the rest. ;D

keciga1
06-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Donzi, you tying them on a 3way right.

CaptainHolleywood
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
it trult depends on how proficient you are with your reel, once you backlash with braid you have to just cut it out and go buy more line :-/

ghostfish_slayer
06-19-2006, 02:02 PM
as for the casting part..my 50 lb power pro casts very good on my spinning reel and surf rod..much better than the 20 lb mono i used to use did..it lays down on the spool and doesn't spring off when i take it off the line roller bearing like the mono did.leaving a mess to hand wind back on.when it casts the line cone is much smaller and doesn't slap the rod before the butt guide either.i get longer more consistant casts every time..that is a spinning rod though..

donzitroller
06-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Donzi, you tying them on a 3way right.
When rockfishing, the sinker is on the bottom of the leader with the two hooks connected above, spaced apart a ways. Braid, swivel, leader, hook 1, hook 2, swivel, sinker leader, then sinker. This year I'm using knots about an inch apart with beads on the inside of the knots with a swivel between the beads. Then use the swivels to connect the hook/line and run tube jigs with a squid attached. This is a new setup for me, so in 11 days I'll see how it works!

Capt.HWood, so far I've never had a backlash with braid that I couldn't get out. Knock on wood..

My 30# braid casts way longer than my 65#, but I'm talkin bout jiggin so castability is a non-factor.

NOW DROP EM DOWN!

keciga1
06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh, ok I see, it's the ussual rock cod leader, the one with the loop knot, right? This year I am gonna try to tie my own shrimp fly's. Let you know how it came out.

drift
06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
thanks for all the responses. I just put an order in for 50 lb power pro braid. * * *:) :) :)