PDA

View Full Version : Where to start....

pned100
04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
I am really interested in beginning to build my own rods tonot only to have the exact rod I like but also I think they are pretty damncool. I have looked up several books to begin learning about the process butwanted to open it up here and see if any of you that have experience have anysuggestions of the best way to start learning this skill? Also, any suggestionsof local places to get supplies? I checked at Sportsmans this weekend and they didn’thave anything…Im guessing Fishermans Warehouse might be a good bet?

AnglingWes
04-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I have built 10-12 rods over the last couple of years. I started at MudHole.com. They have a very good Rod Building 101 section with tons of tips, techniques, and videos to guide you. Its a great resource to see the basics and get an idea of the overall steps and processes involved.

pned100
04-22-2013, 10:54 AM
I have built 10-12 rods over the last couple of years. I started at MudHole.com. They have a very good Rod Building 101 section with tons of tips, techniques, and videos to guide you. Its a great resource to see the basics and get an idea of the overall steps and processes involved.

Awesome- thank you, that does look like there is LOTS of info on there.

vdub
04-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Mudhole is a great source, make sure you order as much as you can when you order from them because they will charge you a boatload for shipping.

I also have a lot of loyalties to C&M/Acidrod.com. They put your order together and make sure everything fits together properly.

In terms of local stores, the answer is none. The community for rod building up here is relatively small and the only store that had an inventory was The Rod Rack, but they unfortunately closed their doors a while back.

My first piece of advice for you in your first rod is to make it a cheap one. No point in screwing up a nice blank.

johnyee1
04-22-2013, 12:05 PM
I know they sell blanks, epoxy, and wrapping thread at FW. Their blank selection isn't huge though and I don't remember seeing any grips or handles.

pned100
04-22-2013, 03:36 PM
good insight, thank you. I figured I would start off (like you suggested) with a basic low end blank to play with and experiment on before I get anything to pricey. I will have to check out FW first and see what stuff I can pick up in person....

dennis l
04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
You might also check out Angler's Workshop they have a great selection of blanks, supplies, tools and some helpfull info. The blanks are priced reasonably for glass too through the roof for the more exotic stuff. One of the first investments you should make is for some type of rod wrapper, my advice is buy the best you can afford if you plan on doing more than 5 or 6, look online and get instructions on how to build a drying motor, a rotessire motor off a BBQ and some pvc cap and and a couple of other items will fit the bill. If you have specific questions or or not sure of the process pm me Hope this Helps Dennis

AnglingWes
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
You can get a drying motor and rod chuck on eBay for a few bucks.

Look at this on eBay:

Fishing Rod Drying Motor w/ Rod Holder and Coupling

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=171025818803

I have a couple of these and they are just fine for getting started. I still hand wrap all my thread.

pned100
04-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Hey $10 aint bad! I was also looking at one of these "start up kits" as a possibility to get the basics. My question is, are these any good? I don't want to waste $ on junk....RAK2 Complete Accessory Kit with Drying Motor (http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Complete-Accessory-Kit-w-Drying-Motor)

AnglingWes
04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Those Kits are not bad. However, you can build the same thing for $20, and spend the $160 you saved on a bunch of blanks and rod parts. There is a ton of stuff there that isn't necessary for rod building.

I hand wrap my thread using a dictionary as a tensioner. Just run the thread somewhere between pages 400-600 to keep it tight.

vdub
04-23-2013, 08:07 AM
This may be out there, but if you live in the south bay (or are willing to drive to San Jose) and I'm not currently working on any rods (which i currently am) then my rod wrapper is open to borrow. I only ask for a deposit, which I will return in full when you return my rod wrapper, and a six pack of beer (i like craft stuff).

I have a Pac Bay wrapper with the Aluminum chuck which allows you to power wrap and dry:
Power Wrapper + Deluxe Chuck Combo (110v) | mudhole.com (http://www.mudhole.com/Specials/Cyber-Monday-Sale/Power-Wrapper-Deluxe-Chuck-Combo)

And you have to understand rod building isn't for everyone. A lot of people realize how many much material and time it takes and they drop the hobby after a rod or two, so investing in a wrapper/dryer right off the bat might not be the way to go.

BeefCakeScout
04-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Jannsnetcraft.com has all the rod building stuff you need also. They don't have a lot of the really high quality stuff mudhole has, but if you are just starting and wanna knock one out for a good price, they are reasonable

Line Stretcher
04-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Mudhole has always been good to me.

Don't go buy a blank for your first rod, use that rod that's never been right. What you'll learn when you take it apart will take hours off your first build.

It's a well known fact that most inexpensive rods are machine wrapped with little or no regard to where the true spine is or what the true action is.

You can take that one apart and using the skills you'll get from reading, you'll be able to improve it substantially.

A wise man once said "As to rod building, my first is still my best". Translation: You'll never spend that much time on another rod nor be as proud.

Paisano
04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
There is no greater thrill than catching a fish on a rod that you built yourself. I have built hundreds of custom rods for clients, but now work only on my own stuff. Lots of good advice has already been given here. To begin with, I would not recommend spending a lot on rod building equipment. Visit your local thrift stores! If you are handy enough to wrap rods, you should also be able to rig-up your own rod wrapping lathe using an old sewing machine motor with foot pedal. For drying the epoxy coating, an old barbecue rotisserie motor works great. Best advice I have read here is to practice by rebuilding some old rods first. Mudhole is tops for supplies and info, but check-out some of the videos on Youtube as well. Have fun!

pned100
04-24-2013, 08:39 AM
There is no greater thrill than catching a fish on a rod that you built yourself. I have built hundreds of custom rods for clients, but now work only on my own stuff. Lots of good advice has already been given here. To begin with, I would not recommend spending a lot on rod building equipment. Visit your local thrift stores! If you are handy enough to wrap rods, you should also be able to rig-up your own rod wrapping lathe using an old sewing machine motor with foot pedal. For drying the epoxy coating, an old barbecue rotisserie motor works great. Best advice I have read here is to practice by rebuilding some old rods first. Mudhole is tops for supplies and info, but check-out some of the videos on Youtube as well. Have fun!
Again, lots of great advice. Now its off to doing it. Got a rod with a few busted eyes anyway that can be my take apart learning curve. Paisano- that is exactly why I have an interest in starting to build my rods. Catching fish (or even better, helping others catch fish) on gear you have either made, prepared, leaders tied, bait cured, or bc of research you did on or off the water gives me an unprecedented amount of satisfaction. thanks again for these words of wisdom here everyone.

ghostfish_slayer
04-25-2013, 05:58 AM
for rod building parts there are a few rod building suppliers unfortunately not many local..the ones that are are kind of tucked away.. besides mudhole i used to use batson/utmost enterprises.. if you look at the batson site or their rod building forum and find their rep. list you just might find one in sac/town if he is still on it...

iggybabble
04-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Look up an author named Dale Clemens......he wrote at least a couple books, one called "Custom Rod Building" i believe.........its been 15 years since ive built a rod, and i did it all using a dictionary to tension the thread, and rolled the blanks on my lap