PDA

View Full Version : German Brown Trout and rainbow trout meat.

stefanoflo
04-24-2013, 04:56 PM
13967I went fishing Tuesday and caught 2 browns and a good size rainbow.
The On Brown ave me a fight like a steelhead and took a good amount of line. but still was able to get her . all i Can say is Thanks for the battle and the meal. The Other a Normal Planted trout , form the looks of the tail . It must of been
While i was cleaning it. I noticed the brown had a darker Orange / pink meat compared to the white meat of the rainbow. Ids this due to the nature of the fish?? I know that the brown had to be a native of the stream that the rainbow was of the pens.
Granted the river where it was caught , they do have Kokanee in late season of October.
and we know Browns love Kokanee eggs and rainbow eggs.
if anyone has any input on the difference of the meat color . chime in

Thanks Stefano Flo

Captain Compassion
04-24-2013, 07:36 PM
There are no Native Browns in the Western Hemisphere. Those browns may have been wild. The color of the meat depends on the diet.

CC

stingray4540
04-25-2013, 01:43 AM
I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but with my family and fishing friends, it has always been understood that the darker meat fish are wild/holdovers and the white meat fish are planters.

Every once in a while I'll catch a dark meat rainbow along with a bunch of white meat 'bows. The dark meat fish generally tend to have cleaner/crisper fins and be slightly larger or fuller.

Like the other poster said, this may be due to the diet? The fish food at the fisheries produces the white flesh, and as they spend a year or longer in the lake on a natural diet, there flesh gets darker?

Or, perhaps it is like land animals where the more excercise certain muscles get, the darker the meat is. I don't believe stocked fish get near as much swimming time in at the fishery as they do in a lake/stream. Think: turkey legs = dark meat, while turkey breasts = white, but wild turkeys are almost all dark meat because they actually use their breasts to fly.

Or, maybe it's a combination of both?

Fishmeister
04-25-2013, 09:09 AM
It's the diet. Planter rainbows meat will turn pink or orange if the right diet is available and they survive for a few months to have time to change.

Marv
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Many agencies that stock, feed the fish food that's is laced with carotein (sp) which turns the meat orange/pinkish. I have caught plenty of wild/holdover bows that had the absolutel,y perfect fins with white meat. I have also caught dinky dfg planter with bright pink meat.

Carotien is the chemical that make shrimp or lobster turn red when cooked. If a wild fish is orangefleshed then he most likely is a crawdad eater. If a wild fish does not mainly feed on crawdads and prefers a fish or bug diet then he will remain white fleshed.

Any farmed raised salmon you have bought is dyed orange to look good foe the consumer. White salmon wouldn't be a hot seller. Wild salmon that eat krill will also turn orange, same as the trout, fish diet and they stay white.