PDA

View Full Version : Want to get girlfriend on some Shad -- Paradise Beach?

baustin
05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
I got my girl hooked on fishing about a month ago catching blue gill and small bass in some ponds behind bannister. Now I'd like to get her on something slightly bigger with a bit more fight as she saw me catch a striper and wants to "go big".

I've never caught a Shad before and hear they fight great and are plentiful when the bites on. I'm going to try somewhere up from discovery today I think, maybe paradise beach area. Has anyone had luck there? I want to find a decent spot and take her out Sunday, I may head up to the Feather Sunday If i can't find a decent spot on the American yet.

Thanks for any help!

BIG_ONE
05-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Welcome aboard! Discovery Park or Paradise Beach...both of those spots will work wonders. Good luck do post some pictures! If you don't mind.

:cool2:

baustin
05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Thank you, I'll definitely post any pictures from today and Sunday.

As I haven't fished for Shad I haven't rigged for them before either. I've done some reading and I'm going to try some 1/32- to 1/16 ounce jig heads on probably yellow and red/white mini grubs. I've also read that some shad darts with a bubble work well too. Any tips on these or does that sound about right?

WhopperStopper
05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Thank you, I'll definitely post any pictures from today and Sunday.

As I haven't fished for Shad I haven't rigged for them before either. I've done some reading and I'm going to try some 1/32- to 1/16 ounce jig heads on probably yellow and red/white mini grubs. I've also read that some shad darts with a bubble work well too. Any tips on these or does that sound about right?

Try some flourescent colors if down my discovery. For some reason darts work better at discovery and jigheads and grubs on the American imo. I've had good success at discovery using Orange/chartreuse darts.

WhopperStopper
05-02-2013, 08:38 AM
If u r going to fish the American using a float, keep adjusting the depth until u find how deep they are. Start at about 5'and adjust shallower or deeper until you can figure out the depth theyre holding or travelling.

WhopperStopper
05-02-2013, 08:46 AM
If u fish at discovery and are casting and retrieving, try the countdown method to figure out the depth. For example you would cast out and start immediately retrieving for a number of casts. If nothing then cast out and count to 2 when it hits the water Then sstart retrieving for a numbrt of cast. If nothing cast out then count to 3 then start retrieving and so on

baustin
05-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Great tip on the adjusting the depth with the float. Think I'll try the same with maybe a couple splitshots if I'm jigging to get that nice tick tick on the bottom without hanging.

The more I read, the more likely it is I'll actually head to the Feather today. It sounds like the AR flows are just too low right now and I'd like the best chance to put her on some fish as possible. Maybe give shanghai and star a shot.

Thanks for the tips pictures will follow.... pending fish! :)

WhopperStopper
05-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Btw, carolina rig with 1/2- 1 oz egg weight is the way to go if casting from the bank at discovery

baustin
05-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Btw, carolina rig with 1/2- 1 oz egg weight is the way to go if casting from the bank at discovery

For jigs I assume? Not darts right?

WhopperStopper
05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
For jigs I assume? Not darts right?
For darts at discovery. U can use the same rig with jigs and lighter weight on the American or if u go to feather
Adjust wieght according to currrnt on the american or feather. In the past 1/4-1/8 egg sinkers have been good or maybe just some splitshot.

striper slayer
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Shanghai is hot. But on the other side.

baustin
05-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Well went out yesterday, saw about 5-6 caught by one guy between 3:45-4:30. Then wasnt much till some others showed around 6:00, saw about 15 more caught between 6:00 - 7:30. I didn't hook up but will be going out again today. Hopefully get my first Shad today.

djkurisu1
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Well went out yesterday, saw about 5-6 caught by one guy between 3:45-4:30. Then wasnt much till some others showed around 6:00, saw about 15 more caught between 6:00 - 7:30. I didn't hook up but will be going out again today. Hopefully get my first Shad today.

where did u head out too? I havent seen anyone catching anything, would be nice to see something get pulled in. Yesterday I caught a baby salmon on a size4 panther martin. Of course it was released promptly and the little giant to be swam off with great gusto. So awesome to see the little guys thriving.

baustin
05-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I was at paradise, might be going back today around 3:00. Wasn't able to get out there Sunday, still searching for a good spot to take my Girl. She's pretty novice so lookin for something easy. Search continues!