PDA

View Full Version : Need help on rigging for shad fishing

Striper
05-17-2013, 09:30 AM
I was wondering how you all rig for shad fishing on the AR? I plan to drift with splitshot and bobbers. If drifting with splitshot what ounce size jig head should be use and leader length? Should I feel it bounce off the bottom?

If using bobber for drifting. How long of leader should be used and jig head size?

Thank you.

AnglingWes
05-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Use a 1/32 or 1/64 jig head with a couple of shot 18" up. You want it slightly off the bottom.

Striper
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Has anyone try using just a small regular hook and a curly tail with splitshots attached 18" up from the hook? Will this method work?

pulper80
05-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Has anyone try using just a small regular hook and a curly tail with splitshots attached 18" up from the hook? Will this method work?

In short, yes it can, but.. "it depends" :-)

Check out WhopperStopper's post here:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/american-shad/104972-painting-plain-jigs.html

FolsomFishing
05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Use the 1" curl tail on the jig head. Like Wes said a split shot 18" up from the jig head, then put the bobber 5-7' from the jig head. You want to drift about a foot off the bottom. If I'm in new water I take a few practice casts and move the bobber up the line until the jighead is hitting the bottom, then move the bobber up a foot or so down the line.

You when using a bobber you shouldn't feel the jighead hitting bottom. Watch the bobber close for any action, the strikes can be really light and easily missed. Or you can take Banker916, aka "bobber babysitter", with you and he will watch the bobber for you. (You have to fish with him once to get the joke, but then it will be crystal clear)

Here's a pic of the jighead setup http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/18/e4yga5e2.jpg

westcoastdave
05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
You can put the split shot 18"-24" above the dart/jig for drift fishing. The 1/32oz jig and 1" grub is the best size to use for AR Shad.

buckman78
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Do Shad hang out in deeper slower water, or riffles?
And do they ever just hangout, or are they constantly moving thru the river.

SHM
05-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Do Shad hang out in deeper slower water, or riffles?
And do they ever just hangout, or are they constantly moving thru the river.

I noticed that shad down deeper in slower water are more aggressive and bite more often compared to those hanging out in the riffles.

They do hang out in deeper water during the day, and tend to move upstream during the evening.

pulper80
05-19-2013, 09:19 AM
I was wondering how you all rig for shad fishing on the AR? I plan to drift with splitshot and bobbers. If drifting with splitshot what ounce size jig head should be use and leader length? Should I feel it bounce off the bottom?

If using bobber for drifting. How long of leader should be used and jig head size?

Thank you.

Also, check out Ant's post here:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/american-shad/102740-how-go-about-catching-these-shad.html