PDA

View Full Version : HMB Salmon Limits!!! 5/29/2013

The_Pond_King
05-31-2013, 06:23 PM
I don’t even know where to begin… well on Tuesday night my friend gave me a text and told me that he had room for one more person on his boat and asked if I wanted to salmon fishing with him. How could I say no? I was ecstatic to go since I’ve never been ocean fishing on a boat… let alone have I ever fished for salmon. Calling in sick for work was well worth it.

The plan was to meet up around his place at 3:45AM and leave at 4AM to get to Half Moon Bay by 5AM. The moment I was on board the boat was pretty effing cool. Even when we going 5mph in the harbor I was having a good time. Little did I know it was going to be just short of being as scary as a roller coaster ride when he went full blast out on the open ocean bouncing on the swells. You can feel the shock when the boat bumps and skids going 25mph on the water (trust me, if feels much faster than that.. in fact, it feels as fast as going 120mph+ on the freeway if you were driving in a car *cough* *cough* not that I’ve ever done that)

Anyways, we got out to the desired location about 15 miles offshore. No one else seemed to be around initially other than a few stick boats. We were trolling hootchies and a krocidile spoon at first. I was kind of sleepy and dozed off for a second then suddenly awoke to D. shouting “Hey were getting hit!!” He should rushes over and cranks down and pops the rod up to release the lure/dodger from the downrigger. It was decent sized 12lb salmon (coastside weight = 30lbs just kidding..not really). At this point, I was wide awake and didn’t get my eyes off the rod tips for the rest of the trip haha.

We proceeded trolling, but switched out most rods to anchovies rigged on FBRs. Bait got us the most action/fish throughout the day. At one point we had a double but one of the party boats was running straight at us when they saw that we were fighting fish so we had to speed the boat up so that we wouldn’t get hit and that resulted in losing our fish (guess they gotta put their clients on fish even if they have to be d-bags and try to run others over *shrug*). That sucked because they were big ones.

We limited out really quick, and we were done by 8AM!! 8 fish for 4 guys. In addition, we lost close to 10 fish that came off our hooks after getting them close to the boat since you have to use barbless hooks for salmon. Everyone else out there was struggling on Wednesday, but we came with a quickness and got the fish and left the like vandals. Non-stop action. Needless to say this trip was a blast!!! Just the boat ride and hanging out with friends alone made it worth it for me and catching fish was a bonus.

I have to give a shout out to my friend. Without him this wouldn’t have been possible. I’m really grateful for everything. He let me use all of his equipment including his rod and reels and lures and bait.

Rod: Lamiglas 9ft Classic Glass ¾-4oz

Reel: Tekota 500LC

Bait/Lures: Anchovies on FBRs, Krocidile spoons, Watermelon Apex, RSK, and hootchies (everything was rigged behind a dodger...leader was probably around 4ft)

Line: Not sure, but the mainline felt like 20lb mono and the leader probably was 30lb test

Actual fishing time (not including commute): Approximately 6AM-8AM

Launch site: HMB

Boat: 21 footer w/ an 200HP Evintrude engine

Here are some pics of our trip:

http://s16.postimg.org/nn2rcfdqt/13_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://i43.tinypic.com/30200o4.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qn49bt.jpg

I'll load the food pics later...

bassman408
06-03-2013, 10:22 AM
This report looks familiar.

Oh wait, it is. It was posted on 10 other fishing websites. LOL.

49erbassman
06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
That's great, he loves to share!

Fish on!

stonesfan
06-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Heck I would have called in Sick for a chance like that! Wait a minute, I can't call in sick,I'm Retired!!!! Well I would have called somebody.........:action-smiley-034:

Great Report and Pic's............................................. ......:bartsimpson:

Stoney:rollingstones:

The_Pond_King
06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
This report looks familiar.

Oh wait, it is. It was posted on 10 other fishing websites. LOL.

Haha, yeah you're not the first to mention this to me. Yes, and like 49erbassman said I do like to share.

Honestly, every forum that I post reports on I have benefited from each and every one of them. It's kinda like you give what you get. I'm only returning the favor. I'd rather not be an info leach or a lurker. If you have seen my other reports on the other forums, I suppose you're not a member....

And I have posted on one to two (but was pretty much exclusive to only one) for several years. It was only recently that I started branching out to other forums. Ever since I have been branching out I've noticed rather amazing benefits that I never expected. It was serendipitous. There's actually a big difference when you start posting on other forums than just lurking them. I've noticed that I really do like the benefit of networking with much more fisherman instead of being confined to just one and made more friends. In addition, you naturally get to know about the board members better than if you were just a lurker - there's a big difference. And it's also pretty cool when the posters you idolize (the really good fisherman) comment on your threads. Plus, I just love to socialize. You also get a lot more hate too, but I'm not here to make everyone happy.

Trust me, I'm not the first guy to belong to more than one forum and post the same report on different forums...I just might be the first guy to be a member on 8-9 forums that does that hahahaha. Take a look at Apple for example. They took what existed but did things just little bit differently. The Sony walkman dominated the market, but the iPod took it over by storm. The iPad is basically a computer in tablet forum, but they had a huge first mover advantage and filled in a space that no one ever sought or thought about before.

The "think different" slogan from Apple was based on this:

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Steve Jobs

"The minute that you understand that you can poke life and actually something will, you know if you push in, something will pop out the other side, that you can change it, you can mold it. That’s maybe the most important thing. It’s to shake off this erroneous notion that life is there and you’re just gonna live in it, versus embrace it, change it, improve it, make your mark upon it.I think that’s very important and however you learn that, once you learn it, you’ll want to change life and make it better, cause it’s kind of messed up, in a lot of ways. Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again." - Steve Jobs

salmonid
06-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Nice nooks!

what happened to the one with a hole in his side? sea lion grabbed him?

Best,

The_Pond_King
06-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Nice nooks!

what happened to the one with a hole in his side? sea lion grabbed him?

Best,

To be honest, I'm not quite sure myself. Sea lion would be my guess as well.

fishingfrieda
06-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a blast! And a good dinner.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2