PDA

View Full Version : American River Flows

crawdaddundee
06-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Well, right on cue. As of June 1 at 2:00 AM, releases from Nimbus dam increased from 1000 to 1500 CFS. If you look at history, this is when the SO-CAL thrist begins and will increase in the next month. It could reach 3000 CFS depending on demand and it will have nothing to do with the needs of fish. Then as things begin to wind down on the demand end, they will again cut the flows to pathetic levels just in time for the salmon to arrive. Folsom is now at 75% and it will prob drop a half to a full percent per day for the next couple of months leaving little water for local use. Guess that's the way things are for us pee-ons who have nothing to say about how our water is allocated. Sure would be nice if some day we could have one of those decision makers actually take in to account the needs of all different kinds of fish. For those who are currently fishing the AR, these increased flows should really help things.

Also, I know some of you fish the AR all the time and there is something for you to look out for when you are out there. If you happen to run across anyone spear fishing for stripers, try to take a few minutes and talk these people out of targeting the big ole boys and girls that do most of the reproduction. Personally, I think this was a real bad decision by f and w. I mean really, who targets little fish? Those fish didn't get so big in the AR because they were stupid but now they have no chance. I fear that once some spear fisherman of diverse ethninticities get on to this, it could be the end of the legendary monster AR stripers that exist out there. Good sportsman take a pic and turn them back and some are kept i'm sure but I am not equally sure about spear fisherman. Way to much of an unfair advantage over the fish for me to call it fishing. Just my rant.........jack

LURKER916
06-02-2013, 04:52 AM
No water, too much water, killing big fish. All bad.