PDA

View Full Version : Hell Hole res

tinytrout
06-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I heard some news from a work partner that the Hell hole dam was going to be dismantled and returned to a river. I sure hope this is not true. anyone heard anything about this?
Tiny

SalmoClarki
06-07-2013, 06:35 PM
It has to do with the re-licensing of PCWA. Don't worry, HH isn't going anywhere. They said the same thing about French Meadows. On the other hand if they drained Hell Hole I could find all my DR weights that have been lost to the rocks over the years. LOL

catchayou
06-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I have always wanted to try Hell Hole. Dam removal should be viewed positively though.

SalmoClarki
06-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Be prepared for a very LONG drive in. It takes over 3 hours from Sac. The potholes are epic but that's what keeps the yuppies away.

calamari
06-08-2013, 12:21 PM
When I was a young boy, before they built French Meadows and Hell Hole, my neighbor would go to where Hell Hole Res. is now and fish for several days. It took him two days in a surplus WWII jeep to get there. Removing the dam wouldn't result in much since it wouldn't be restoring critical spawning habitat. It was just a big rocky valley with nice browns and bigger Pike Minnows.
French Meadows on the other hand was a beautiful fern covered valley and meadow stream with huge trees. That couldn't be restored with that dam's removal either.
Placer County is about to start making a lot of money off the American River Project's power production. They aren't going anywhere for at least another 50 years.

tinytrout
06-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info Calamari that is such a relief.
Tiny