PDA

View Full Version : Half Moon Bay 6/8

skunk_monkey
06-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Debut trip out of HMB. It was a little too sloppy for my small boat--17' --so we didn't run far. Got out to about 180', just NW of the harbor, saw birds and decided to try there. Within 10 minutes we had a beautiful, feisty 6# coho we had to release, and a fat 22" king, which we also had to turn loose. Just as we were thinking we were at least in the fish, we started snagging jellyfish left and right. We tried for over an hour and even moved a couple times but they were everywhere. Looking back I'm not sure how we even hooked those two salmon. Finally, that, combined with an increasing chop, sent us in. Not sure how the majority of guys did. For a first time trip it was still beneficial and will definitely go back but under calmer conditions. I know it's not much of a report but thought I'd at least check in. One thing for sure: the guys who fish out there, at least the ones I spoke to, were super-helpful and generous with their knowledge. It's appreciated!

untalan1
06-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Glad to see you made it out , talked to a friend who runs a six pack out of hmb and said things have sloed the the last couple of days.Also another friend fished out the gate at n buoy and caught six nice fish up to 20# and lost a few slugs.He said the jellies were everywhere.We're you able to try any of the places to eat I pm you?Efren

JB14
06-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I think I know you! Heard the same report from your bro in Oregon. At least you got on a couple. We wimped out.

Nice talking to you. We'll have to try and get out there again in the future.

skunk_monkey
06-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Untalan1: no, couldn't quite get to the coordinates you gave me. Wasn't comfortable running that far in those conditions. I need a bigger boat!! But thanks for the info. JB14...that's me!

JB14
06-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah I heard it was a mess out there. The good news (I guess) is that at least today is even worse and you didn't just get the bad day of the week. Nice to meet you via text. Lol!! I'll keep you updated on what's happening and hopefully when your bro comes down it will be better weather.