PDA

View Full Version : rock fishing up north

fishhogg
04-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey yall, new to the board but expierenced fisherman, just wanted to share my latest outing:
Fish above fort ross on thrusday during the minus tide, caught 2 green ling, 1 cab, 1 black and yellow, 2 kelp bass, and 1 eel! Pretty good fishing considering low tide and the amout of time i spent! All released except 1 for dinner.
Anyone else fishing saltpoint area??
good luck, "u find em, ill catch them!

rockbass
04-22-2006, 01:02 PM
nice variety from the rocks. I have fished at Fort Ross but not further north but hope to change that in june will be up there for a week and hpoe to fish Salt Point . What area is off limits to fishing at the state park?

rockbass
04-22-2006, 01:04 PM
And which fish did you keep for dinner??

fishhogg
04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
The cab of course!! One of the best eating fish out there!
As far as salt point, gerstle cove is off limits, there is a yellow colored marker, north and south that is supposed to be the off limits boundry, but its poorly marked! figure a half mile either side of the cove is off limits, the rest is all good! Carefull they do patrol the cove alot!
Good luck, let me know how you do...

MB_Kevin
04-23-2006, 12:11 AM
hey fishhogg
welcome to the boards. sounds like a good day. I hope to see more posts from you good info and I like to hear about rock fish ;)

wading2fish
04-23-2006, 12:41 PM
welcome fishhog and thanx for the report. from one rockfisher to another, good job on the fishing and hope to see more reports from you in your area up there.

vgreg
05-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I thought the rockfish season started July 1st - Confused.

vgreg
05-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Oops -- shore fishing! What a dork --didn't read post closely enough. (It was my inaugural post, so naturally I need the mulligan.)

AllFishNoWork
05-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Can't wait till the rock season opens up down here [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

CenCoast_Angler
05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
You can catch rockfish from the shore everywhere in Cali right now. I've been shore rockfishing every wknd since steelhead season ended and its been awesome!
I fish mostly around Monterey and Carmel but I'll venture down to Big Sur every now and then.
I hadn't done much shore rockfishing until this year. It takes a couple trips to get it down and even now I still snag up and lose lots of gear.

I was gonna go rockfishing after work today but I just heard a report of stripers at wharf 2 so I'm hitting that action instead. I'll post a report if the school is still there.

Until then, enjoy these rockfish pics from the past month or fishing: http://photos.yahoo.com/370hillcrest@sbcglobal.net

Sorry for jacking the thread,
(-:
PK