PDA

View Full Version : santa cruz wharf fishing report 4/23/06

ianoji
04-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I went out fishing today, as it's the first chance I had with all this rain around. The day was cloudy, and we even had a 20 minute soft drizzle, but it was worth it in the end!

I have even begun to notice that although we get there at 900am, the fish don't really begin biting til about 11am through 1pm.

No perch or kingfish from the end of the wharf, but a school of smelt was right under the railing. They were 5" to 8", and tasted good deep fried and then coated with a curry and garlic salt paste :)

I love how everything off the wharf eats shrimp!

ghostfish_slayer
04-23-2006, 09:17 PM
good catching and eats but use those perfect size baits for stripers as they are starting to show..

ianoji
04-24-2006, 05:39 AM
Do stripers hit on the wharf? Should I cast out on the bottom, or with a floater?

Thanks!

ghostfish_slayer
04-24-2006, 06:15 AM
i use both ways.a sliding sinker with a couple foot leader from the swivel and a float with a good length leader under it..fish more towards the surf line for the stripers..there is a sweet spot behind the breakers you want to target.

Sardine
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Those smelt are one of the tastiest fish in the sea. That's a nice white meat they have. I don't know why they aren't more popular than they seem to be to me. They are a tad bony though, mabe that's it? :-?

ianoji
04-25-2006, 07:52 PM
maybe it's because they are such narrow fish, that are hard to filet. but i agree, delicious! the deep frying makes most of the bones chewable, so more calcium for us.

ghostfish_slayer
04-25-2006, 10:13 PM
they are good on the bbq also