PDA

View Full Version : Video: How to make a spinner

ktmquad
06-26-2013, 01:44 PM
How To Make a TROUT LURE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_188574&feature=iv&src_vid=gL8r0cti4KE&v=Jbnd6J47ghA) Not sure if anyone else is interested but thought I'd post anyways. Think I might give it a try and make some of my own custom lures

IronClad
06-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Cool video, Here's another way to make deadly little trout spinners. These i keep in my fly box for when im fly fishing since you never know but all they are is just a colorado blade a couple split rings a couple swivels and a trebble. Can make them ridiculously cheap, In fact im about to run down town and grab some larger colorado blades to make some bigger ones for steelhead.

Btw all 4 of those lures are older than i am and have caught hundreds of fish ;)

http://i.imgur.com/qSo4yZe.jpg

iggybabble
06-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Ive thought about doing this for years, retirement will allow me the time for it. it would be nice to fish with low priced lures! Kinda hurts to bust off a $4 bill

OYD
06-29-2013, 09:50 AM
How To Make a TROUT LURE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_188574&feature=iv&src_vid=gL8r0cti4KE&v=Jbnd6J47ghA) Not sure if anyone else is interested but thought I'd post anyways. Think I might give it a try and make some of my own custom lures

There is a lure making forum on this site. This should be posted on that forum so we can get a variety of lure making ideas going.

SteelHunter
06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
@ IronClad

I'm really digging those colorado bladed spinners you got there.

I make my own spinners too and use the traditional set up like that video. But I'm thinking to try out some of those spinners like yours.

thanks for sharing.

tight lines!

iggybabble
06-29-2013, 10:11 AM
after posting an hour or so ago, i decided to go online..........Janns Netcraft, BAM! $275 or so later, got the makin's for at least 150 spinners and 40 or 50 trout spoons

ktmquad
06-29-2013, 05:09 PM
There is a lure making forum on this site. This should be posted on that forum so we can get a variety of lure making ideas going. True. Forgot about that section.

after posting an hour or so ago, i decided to go online..........Janns Netcraft, BAM! $275 or so later, got the makin's for at least 150 spinners and 40 or 50 trout spoonsSweet! I think I'll be ordering from them soon as well

IronClad
06-29-2013, 06:52 PM
@ IronClad

I'm really digging those colorado bladed spinners you got there.

I make my own spinners too and use the traditional set up like that video. But I'm thinking to try out some of those spinners like yours.

thanks for sharing.

tight lines!

No problem ! they are super simple to make. You could even skip one of the split rings if you run a siwash hook which is my plan for my larger ones im going to make for steelhead

SteelHunter
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
@ IronClad,

when using these light spinners for steelies....you would use a fly rod?

sounds like a blast.

IronClad
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I fish the little bitty ones on my flyrod for trout but for bigger ones for steelies im not sure what id use. I have been using my 9foot 8wt as my float rod but i just broke it the other day... so not sure now

IronClad
07-01-2013, 02:03 PM
So i actually had a fishing dream last night where i made these and caught a 20lb chromer... So i decided to make them for real today lol im not sure how well the double blade will work for real but we will find out !. Just some quick and dirty swivels and split rings with some yarn tied on

http://i.imgur.com/7DKSPMb.jpg

ktmquad
07-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Looking good! I'm going to start acquiring parts in the next week or two. Will post some pics when they are done!

iggybabble
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
biggest potential problem with the split ring/swivel style spinners probably relates to the lack of weight, obviously in small streams and ultralight this isnt an issue, or if your trolling with them.

IronClad
07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Ive seen steelhead guys run them with a float and you could also do what alot of guys do with bluefoxes and an egg weight in junction

sent from my boat out on the water

SteelHunter
07-01-2013, 08:47 PM
I like the idea of putting those under a float, IronClad.

maybe a split shot or two to get the spinner down deep....and let that thing flutter through a nice deep salmon hole.

let me know how you do with those. they look great.

IronClad
07-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I like the idea of putting those under a float, IronClad.

maybe a split shot or two to get the spinner down deep....and let that thing flutter through a nice deep salmon hole.

let me know how you do with those. they look great.

Yup thats the idea! I will for sure post up on how they do. Going out tomorrow morning

SteelHunter
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
out tomorrow morning....

damn I hate having to do this 7to4 thing 5 days a week.

I need a job with mornings off...so I can get my fix of chrome!

good luck!

IronClad
07-01-2013, 09:02 PM
If it makes you feel better i hooked (but didnt land) 4 salmon tonight while steelhead fishing a new spot tonight :P

SteelHunter
07-02-2013, 07:39 AM
If it makes you feel better i hooked (but didnt land) 4 salmon tonight while steelhead fishing a new spot tonight :P

ahhh, man....you're killing me!

man I miss fishing the Feather river. I remember back in the day going up there in May and getting my springer catch on. That was fun. bring a few cold ones...wet wading...and bringing home a chromer for the BBQ.

easy fishing too...just a box full of Blue Fox #6's and you were in business.

BeefCakeScout
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I have been making mine for a couple years now for salmon. I'll post some up when I get a chance

luckylundy
07-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Started making my own salmon spinners for this season... I don't know if the cost of getting all the parts and pieces makes it cheaper but I sure enjoy doing it.
Dan,15412

SteelHunter
07-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Started making my own salmon spinners for this season... I don't know if the cost of getting all the parts and pieces makes it cheaper but I sure enjoy doing it.
Dan,

Those look awesome Dan. Salmon Slayers, for sure!!!

predator
07-19-2013, 01:00 AM
ahhh, man....you're killing me!

man I miss fishing the Feather river. I remember back in the day going up there in May and getting my springer catch on. That was fun. bring a few cold ones...wet wading...and bringing home a chromer for the BBQ.

easy fishing too...just a box full of Blue Fox #6's and you were in business.

I miss fishing the Feather too! May was great time for springers. They were fiesty! But now the regs cut Salmon fishing on most of the low flow area and the outlet. Now I only have memories of the great fun days I had on the Feather. :o

I make spinners too with a Hagen machine. I can't get good parts to make spinners that will work as good as the Blue fox and Mepps spinners. I try to match the wild river's flow with my spinners. For a heavy river flow, I want to be deep near the bottom with the blades spinning. The Blue fox and Mepps can't get deep enough either in a heavy current. Most of my spinners are not catchers.

Recently I've become a Spoon fisherman when spoons were out doing my spinners for salmon. http://fishsniffervb.thefishsniffer.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon11.png

predator