PDA

View Full Version : Abalone?

damkid85
07-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Headed out tomorrow for my first time with a friend that has been a few times what do I need to expect or take never done this type of thing

untalan1
07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Just to let you know that abalone diving or rock picking is closed in the month of july ,opens up again in august.Efren

CRABBY
07-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Ck. the regs first!!Just a thought!!:oregonian_winesmile

damkid85
07-05-2013, 07:45 PM
This sucks no abs in July

Katfish
07-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Just to let you know that abalone diving or rock picking is closed in the month of july ,opens up again in august.Efren

Might want to give a heads up to your buddy as well. Just a thought ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

striperking13
07-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Hate to you see you guys all excited about being the only one in the waters only to find yourself with fat ass tickets.... Check regs check regs... its your responsibility.... FISH ON

damkid85
07-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Ya I looked it up no abs in July but did do some fishing and he was able to hit a striper on the american

N.O Xpl()de
09-22-2014, 07:17 PM
I don't see much abalone diving or rock picking. is it that dangerous? i want to start.

dsa2780
09-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Currents are an issue from what I'm told. That, and the Landlord. :). The man in the grey suit, the tax collector, I'm sure there's another name for him lol.

FTB530
09-23-2014, 06:27 AM
Yes it can be dangerois.. My advice would be to read the regulations and when you get done reading them read them again and then maybe one more time because if you get caught by fish and game and you're dpnt every every T crossed and every I dotted you're going to get a ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockit73
09-23-2014, 07:38 AM
It's not too dangerous. I used to take my son starting at 13 yo. Just be super comfortable in the water and be able to breath hold to 25' for a minute or so. Riptides can be pretty sketchy sometimes and I definitely prefer to dive off a boat in those areas. A boat is always nice if available. Long surface swims suck and its nice to be able to get out of the water for a break.

Make sure you follow the regs to the letter. Wardens are serious and the costs are high.

I've never seen a gw while diving. Breath hold or bottle. Only time I've ever been creeped out; I was spear fishing near Mendocino and had a seal with fresh (still gushing blood) bite wounds try to hide under me. The thing was frantic. I was in heavy kelp with about 3' vis. I hugged the bottom until I was virtually out of air as I high tailed it back to shore. Fears got the best of me on that dive! Didn't drop my ling I had gotten though.

bassmaster415
09-23-2014, 08:33 AM
I rock-picked for abalone when the tide is really low (-1 or lower) and dove when there was good weather and the tide was high. There are many things to consider, otherwise you risk LOSING your life. Below are some of what I observed from my experience assuming that you have all the necessary gears.

For rock-picking:
Make sure you read the weather/swell forecast before going. If the swell is above 6-7 ft and above, I personally won't go. When you are looking for abalone, make sure you watch the swell. This is very IMPORTANT. Once in every few minutes, a big swell will be built-up which will be very dangerous if you aren't aware. On one occasion, my friend was hit by a wave that threw him a up in the air hitting the rock when he came down. He severely injured hit back. We all stopped picking and carried him to the car before taking him to the ER since there was no phone service to call 911.

For diving:
Most people think about the landlord and current. Well, the chances that you get bit a shark is as little as winning the lottery I would say, unless you dive somewhere 40+ ft deep. As for current, it could be dangerous, so be sure to watch the direction of the swell and the wind/water condition for at least 15-20 minutes before entering the water. Very important, make sure you know an alternative exit if there is a rip current where you want to exit. And most important, many people overlook this. When you are in the water looking for abalone in the kelp bed (where abalone are), avoid entering areas that are too thick although that may produce a trophy ab. Try surfacing before you are out of breath to give you more time when your fins or anything get snagged. I once got wrapped around in kelp when my head was only two feet from the surface. I was scared as hell, and fortunately, I was calm enough to pull out my knife and get my head above the water. It took me over 30 seconds to break free. This is why i said try to resurface before getting out of breath, this extra 30 plus seconds may very well cost your life. I haven't dove much after this incident, it still kind of haunted me. Now when I dive, I and my buddies are always one-up-one-down, no exception. This way, if i don't resurface after a certain time, they know that i am in trouble and will immediately try to find me and vice versa.

suckmyling
10-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Ab diving is the best. My advice: get good equipment. 6/5 Wetsuit, gloves, booties, Correctly wieghted weightbelt, good mask/snorkel. Also watchout for sharks:1fishshark5rv::biggrin: