PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to get sand out of clams?

ngt
07-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Read online to clean them in cold water, put a 1/2 cup of flour in, mix it all around a lot, then stick it in the fridge for an hour. Then put them in cold water again and rinse them off. Well, 75% of my clams tasted like a mouth full of beach. Only the biggest clams were clean. Very frustrating after all of that work digging this morning on my first clamming trip :(

Anyone have any tips or tricks to clean these things out? I hate wasting food, especially food I catch/get on my own.

Line Stretcher
07-06-2013, 06:17 PM
That method should work I just put them in cold water and then put them in the fridge overnight. You can ice down the water if your at the beach and want to cook them up. The fresh water should make them spit the sand out. The ice/fridge is just to keep them fresh it's the fresh water that makes them spit the sand.

ngt
07-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Sounds like maybe I just didn't soak them long enough. Next time it's overnight in the fridge.

Seon
07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Yep, soak for a couple of hours minimum in cold water where the clams spit the sand out.

Toxic_Waste
09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I haven't gone digging for years (once in Canada), but all the live clams I buy are gritty and I haven't ever been able to get it all out. My clam chowder always has some sand in the bottom. I asked many seafood restaurants at the coast how they manage to serve sand-free chowder, but none have ever responded. Guess they want to keep it a secret? This happens to me even when I buy canned clams! I always soak them (fresh, not canned) at least 24 hours, and some sand comes out, but there is still just as much on the inside. :wallbash:

GAMFISHIN
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Each year we go to Birch Bay, Wa. for clams and crabs. I soak the clams in buckets changing the water (from the source) every couple of hours for approximately 24-30 hours to flush the sand. Cooking on the BBQ with butter, garlic and cilantro.

GNappers
09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I have heard to add cornmeal to the water. When clamming I would add new salt water to the bucket and the clams would filter out some sand. At home I threw them in the sink and changed the water several times. Still had sand in the bottom of the bowl after I steamed them but I imagine it would have been worse.