PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo Squid, not Giant Squid

HookedForLife
03-02-2006, 06:55 AM
The squid that are being caught off Central California this year are jumbo squid, jumbo flying squid, or Humboldt squid, Dosidicus gigas, which are only about 6 feet long or less. *People keep calling them giant squid, which they are not. *Giant squid, Architeuthis dux, are much much larger, up to 60 feet in length. *There is also a colossal squid, which is shorter than the giant squid, but weighs more.

For more info., please check out these links:

http://www.tonmo.com/science/public/giantsquidfacts.php

http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=249

Blue_R70
03-03-2006, 09:11 PM
I think in this case, people are using the term "giant" as an adjective in their description of the Humboldts. And they are giants, relative to the smaller sized squid most folks are used to seeing/buying as table fare. I don't think people are inadvertently mixing up the squid varieties because they've probably never even heard of the genera you referred to...

"Giant squid" is an accepted term. Are you going to correct everyone who refers to largemouth/smallmouth/spotted/redeye/guadelupe/suwanee/etc bass as "black bass" when they aren't even bass? They're centrarchids, or sunfish. And I don't mean the Mola mola sunfish...

Know_Excuses
03-03-2006, 10:31 PM
LOL yea that ;D ;D We all know its not the archie toothes ;D or what ever the really big one is.We all just use giant squid as the generic term for it.Kind of like calling channel locks, channel locks.They are actualy called adjustable locking pliers, channel lock is just the brand name.But we all know it as channel locks.Thanks for the info though ;D wooo the beer is working :P

HookedForLife
03-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Blue_R70, you are not making any sense! If you want to call a Pacific barracuda a Great barracuda, or a bluegill a largemouth bass, go ahead!! A 30-pound jumbo squid is not a giant squid!

ghostfish_slayer
03-04-2006, 02:34 AM
it is to a flea.. ;D

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-04-2006, 08:21 AM
should we split the board in 2

make a site for all the educated college gradeates

and another for us surviving country boys

and if we call jumbos huge or giant or extra large or is it double xl
they sure aint those that come in a 1 pound *box of 5

when all you have seen in your life is those bait squid in the box
and then to haul some "GIANT" alien creature that weighs more than your biggest catfish or salmon, striper, halibut
or even carp over the side of the boat

i think "we all" can call 'em what we want

further more not all of us are english majors either

for those that can do = do
for those that can't = teach

TSL

triggerfish
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
YEA!!!! ;D

Blue_R70
03-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Blue_R70, you are not making any sense! If you want to call a Pacific barracuda a Great barracuda, or a bluegill a largemouth bass, go ahead!! A 30-pound jumbo squid is not a giant squid!

A bluegill = sunfish and largemouth bass = sunfish. They're both members of the sunfish family (family Centrarchidae); the largemouth bass isn't actually a true bass, but the term has become an acceptable description for that species. Or the peacock bass--that's not a bass either (it's actually in the Cichlid family). I was pointing out that some common names, although they may be wrong, become the generally accepted term. Like giant squid. Or channel locks, Kleenex and Xerox...

65whaler
03-05-2006, 04:09 PM
as soon as i catch a giant squid, i promise to start calling giant squid jumbo squid. ;)

blue_chrush
03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I still perfer the name
humbolt squid........
it covers any squid over 12"

and when you guys get one you'll know
why.
they kinda humbolt you....

I thought what a great time, after 4 of reeling in
from 1400ft...... it a young mans game....lol

just try cranking up your anchor from 100ft down
with your reel, now add another
1300ft and your in there....... [smiley=bananachaga.gif]

http://www.freephotoserver.com/v001/blue_crush/tm_squid=jpg.jpg *

HookedForLife
03-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Humboldt squid is fine... I like it, too!!

Great picture, Blue Crush!

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
:P

TSL

fishingphil
03-06-2006, 07:36 PM
HFL, do you honestly care about what people call them or are you just trying to start a fight? I see you've posted several places on the net; is it really that important?
-Phil

HookedForLife
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
fishingphil,

Of course, I am not just trying to start a fight, just trying to get folks to call something what it really is, a jumbo or Humboldt squid! I got a warm response to the suggestion on the only other website I posted the message, and it was not posted on several websites, only two - this one and one other. It's up to you what you want to call this squid.

Know_Excuses
03-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I think I will call it butter fluff ;D ;D

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-11-2006, 04:54 PM
are you sure it is not supposed be fluffed butter?

TSL

basil
03-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I agree with Hooked for Life, what are you going to call a 'Giant Squid' if you used the name already for a 'Jumbo Squid'.

Just because someone is not a college graduate doesn't mean they can't learn something.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
03-11-2006, 05:18 PM
in my opinion the big joke is that we already knew that they are jumbo humbolt squid
;D

TSL

Know_Excuses
03-11-2006, 08:50 PM
I would have to agree ;D ;D And I think I did mean fluffed butter ;) thanks TSL [smiley=beer.gif]

Imbigdave
03-19-2006, 03:06 PM
You guys crack me up ;D ;D
Those inkjets are just bait! you just are the predator or have to find one big enough to eat it.

IBD