PDA

View Full Version : Whats goin on in Santa Cruz?

Striperman
03-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Im going surfing with some friends on sunday to santa cruz. I want to do some fishing by pleasure point. What is biting there right now and what woud i be using? Any gear recomendations? Rod, Reel, Line, Bait/lures? Thanks in advance.

Striperman

CenCoast_Angler
03-07-2006, 04:46 PM
If you're fishing near the rocks, try a hi-low surf rig with frozen calamari or market shrimp for rockfish-types. If you're going for surf-perch types, throw a carolina rig (3/4oz egg sinker w/barrel swivel and about a 18inch leader) with 2inch Kalins MORF (motor oil red flake) plastic grubs....or bloodworms/pileworms/market shrimp. Those surf perch are a lot closer than most people think. Concentrate on the whitewash inside the breakers~2feet deep or so.

Dude, the way you slay steelies on the A, you should probably be giving me some tips... ;)
I'm gonna be in Sactown this wknd for the boatshow or I'd probably join ya...or show you a better spot.

Like this one: http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=200507017&mode=big&lastmode=sequen tial&flags=0&year=2005
See that finger on the left side of the pic? Cast from the shore/beach towards the head of that finger...or just fish right off it. There are plenty of spots just like this where you could catch a wide variety of fish---from rockfish to perch.
Good luck,
PK

UPDATE: Haha! I just noticed the two guys fishing off the rocks on the big point in that picture. I think the lower guy has a fish on because the other guy has moved away, down the rock from his bucket and gear.
Also, I'd use spinning gear---like an 8 ft med-hvy action rod spooled with 15-25lb line, depending on what type of fishing you're gonna be doing (15lb for perch and 25lb for rockfish).

Striperman
03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks!!! That helps me a TON!!!!

Striperman