PDA

View Full Version : lawson's landing needs our help

65whaler
02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
i was shocked, angered and saddened to see the following at the bottom of lawson landing's website yesterday. please take a moment to sign and send the petition posted at their site:
http://www.lawsonslanding.com/wheelhou.htm

here's a snippet from the bottom.

COASTAL COMMISSION TO DENY COASTAL ACCESS

After 49 years of operating as a campground, trailer park, marina and coastal access point the California Coastal Commission has suddenly decided that Lawson's Landing has no permits and needs to cease all activities. This decision was made based on some postcards delivered to a Commission meeting by members of the Environmental Action Committee of West Marin and the Sierra Club, Marin Chapter. Apparently these postcards are more important than the fact that the Lawson family, at great expense, have been working since 1967 with the Marin County Planning Department to obtain the necessary permits in a manner consistent with county, state and the Coastal Commission's laws. Since postcards seem to impress the Coastal Commission staff more than their own laws and regulations, we ask you to fill out the form below and send it back to Lawson's Landing. We will collect all your letters and present them to the Coastal Commission at one of their public meetings. Also, letters, phone calls and emails to elected officials would help. Feel free to copy this for friends. Your help will make sure that your coastal access remains open.

vito
02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Just faxed it. Why does it seem like everything that I like to do seems to get taken away?? If Lawson's closes we will all be losing a fantastic place to play, camp, fish and relax. This sucks!

wolfden
02-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Is it public land leased to Lawson's ???

Know_Excuses
02-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I always thought it was owned by the lawsons.I hope they dont close it we have been going every labor day for like 7 years.And we always meet people there that have been coming every year for ALOT longer.

fence_man
02-15-2006, 08:01 PM
the state wants it and will get it one way or another you can't beat the old mighty pencil the state has. the tree huggers want to stop all fishing in tomales bay as it is now and boating

65whaler
02-16-2006, 02:55 PM
don't give up. lawson's is critical habitat for fishermen. if we lose lawson's, we lose our tomales bay fishing community. lose that community and there is no counterbalance to the so called environmentalist agenda poluting our habitat. public opinion matters. i've made and posted a pdf that you can download, print and fax to lawson's. please take a second to do it - thanks:

http://derek-fairchild.com/lawsons_letter.pdf

Sea_Snake
02-16-2006, 06:31 PM
What the Heck does the county of Marin want to do with the property.They must want to turn it in to a state park so they can collect the fees at the gate. I`ll get some of these things signed and faxed bak also. PS: Sieria club kiss my a$$.

65whaler
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
from what i gather environmental laws have gone into effect regarding septic, fuel waste, litter etc. in the past couple years that have required lawson's to draw up a plan to address these environmental concerns. lawson's has dilligently presented plans to the coastal commission, but can't do anything without their written approval. the coastal commission, after a long delay finally came to the conclusion that lawson's plan met the legal requirements of the new legislation and put the APPROVED stamp on their plan. however, local environmental orgs, including but not limited to: the tomales bay association, the marin conservation league, the EAC (environmental action committee of west marin), the sierra club (marin division), the marin chapter of the native plant society picketted the coastal commission and succeeded in forcing them to reverse their aproval. they succeeded in doing so on the grounds that lawson's plan was large enough to require a full environmental impact report (EIC).

i'm getting seasick trying to reiterate all the legal b.s., so if you would like to learn more about how the groups listed above have cut their lawyers loose on lawson's and the coastal commission, check out this pdf:

http://www.eacmarin.org/newsletters/Fall2000.PDF

it's over five years old, but it's the same battle - except now they've actually won.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
02-17-2006, 09:18 PM
WE MUST PROTECT THE FROG POND!!!!!!!

or is it

people vs cows

or maybe it was a

plane

TSL

Uncle_Sam
02-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Check out Article I, Section 25 of the California Constitution. This provision guarantees the right of the people to fish from any public land and prohibits the state from transferring any land without reserving the right of the people to fish. Because of Article I, Section 25, a subsequent measure had to be passed to enable Fish and Game to take necessary action for conservation. However, the Coastal Commission is prevented from closing an area because they are against fishing.

Stop bad mouthing environmentalists. If there are still salmon to be caught it is because environmentalists have been somewhat successful in preventing the logging industry from causing the spawning streams to be deforested and filled with silt. The big issue with Tomles Bay is pollution from the run off from cow pastures. The only people trying to solve this problem are environmentalists.

I fished Tomales Bay for halibut three times last summer and got skunked. I am aware of only one guy catching a halibut there last year. Where are they? I hunger for BBQ halibut.

donzitroller
02-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Sad to hear bout this.. I've only fished out of Lawson's a few times, but it sure makes for a short trip to 10 mile. When I was active in 4-wheeling, Sierra Club was always a thorn in the side. Glad to find another hobby that they are trying to take away. As was said above, they can kiss my you know what! Not that it matters, $$ and power will win most of the time, and it's us that will pay the ultimate price. Mine is faxed. I sincerely hope that we can make a difference on this one! Faxed my copy off just now. >:(

FISH ON!

basil
02-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Lawson Landing will only be closed if they don't want to go to the expense to clean up their act. They have been operating outside their permits for many years now. The bone of contention is the cost to do it. Lawsons says it will cost too much to meet the permit requirements because there will be a limit on the number of people that can camp there and so on.

I believe it has to do with the amount of garbage, and sewage the land can handle. What good is a launch if it is polluting the water you fish in?

I don't think they should close Lawsons, but if that happens then we need to force the county to fix the sucky boat ramp near Nick's cove. You pay five bucks then can't launch at low tide because you are sitting in mud.

Oh, and I believe Lawsons Landing is private land. Otherwise the State or County could wait for the lease to run out and then say scram.

Team_Sheryl_Lee
02-18-2006, 01:32 PM
i am not here to attack anyone
with that said

there are 7 different families in my little town of 2000
that i know use the dillion beach area every year
when i first saw this post i printed out 2 dozen copies for these people to fill out
5 of the families have been mailed already (along with mine)

if lawson landing goes down what camping area will be next on the hit list

as for halibut in tamales bay...sometimes you fish and sometimes you catch fish
not to get into global warming or any other fanatic cr*p
could the poor halibut fishing in tomales be associated with the elnino off shore?
it seems to me that there were more things going on than a couple of people or cows urinating on an area above sea level

early warm water
late salmon catches
few to no tuna
late crabs
excellent halibut off ten mile beach for some folks
not to mention the incredible instant recovery of the ling cod

and then i guess it is who you have do the testing

to hear the famous words of

"AND THE SURVEY SAYS"

well the motor is in and bolted, now just all the bolt ons
and a test run before i go to tomales and leak over the side

i am not trying to say p*ss on anyone
but maybe p*ss on everryone ::)

TSL

Fat_Freddy
02-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Lawson's is a great place - if you like camping in the middle of a cow pasture with a million kids running around.

65whaler
02-21-2006, 11:28 PM
tsl - i think i'm on the same picket of the fence you're on.

nobody wants tomales bay to be clean more than nancy and mike. if you look at the hard work they've put in over the last five years and the expense they're bracing to endure it would be hard to guess otherwise.

the environmental agenda is important. i'm behind it a full 80%. but it's an agenda that - at it's core - is discriminatory against the poor. everyone has a constitutional right to access the coast.

yes, halibut fishing has sucked in the bay for two years. three years ago was one of the best on record. lawson's has been in business for 49. do the math.

i've dug up the minutes from the marin co. planning commission and edited it down to a three page pdf. if you can suffer through a bit of board-speak, you can get a sense of who the players are and what the issues be.

http://www.derekfairchild.com/deadbin/marin_co_lawsons.pdf

dbass
02-22-2006, 08:41 AM
With all money the Laswon family has made out there, they could have corrected the problems. I've been going out there since 74 and they havn't done anything out there. If bodega area parks can have nice restrooms with hot and cold water, they could have done somethin. It shame to lose an area like that, but like they say big brother been after that piece of realestate for a long time. The lawson have made millions, it used to be a place to go campingn, now they just packum in like sardines and collect the money, no improvements at all. :-X

Rock_Hopper
02-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm with Basil on this one.

They have been operating outside of the permit process for years now and it finally caught up with them.

I'm not biased in either direction because I've never launched out of there.

Seems like a lot of peeps are on Lawson's side just because it's a place to launch from and nothing else. Seems like MOST (I said most - not all of you) people are just being selfish and thinking of the launch and nothing else.

I'm also with Uncle Sam on the whole environmentalist bashing mindstate. But that's a whole other thread...lol.

Uncle_Sam
02-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Hey Rock Hopper! How did you get that fish (a ling?) on a sandy beach as shown in your picture?

I wonder how the environmentalist bashers would like it if there were no land use regulations and no fishing regulations. What do people think that Marin, Sonoma, San Mateo and Santa Cruz counties would be like if the government stopped telling people what they cannot do with their land? Suppose that the free market was the only control on abalone harvesting. There would be a nuclear power plant on Bodega Head. I can't believe these environmentalist bashers are fishermen. Environmentalists are responsible for the continued existence of fish for the bashers to catch.

Rock_Hopper
02-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Agreed. But I don't really want to get into Environmentalist Basher bashing. ;D

The ling was actually caught from a pretty rocky shoreline. There's large rocks surrounding the whole area, but my buddy and I set up the picture so there would be no identifying landmarks in it.

That ling actually was a hitchhiker that was latched onto a ~20" ling. The first ling hit the top hook of my Hi/Lo rig, but was snagged in the rocks by my weight. I set my pole in the sand to see if it could work itself free, then a few moments later it got slammed. Luckily my leader broke right under the top hook and I was able to bring both fish to the surfline, then my mainline broke under the weight of the two fish (it was only 14lb test). My buddy literally jumped on the two fish, partly in the surfline, getting soaked in the process. The big ling spit the little ling, then wiggled from my friend's grasp. My other buddy then ran and grabbed it under the gill cover - cutting the s**t out of his hand in the process. He managed to get it a little further up the beach, and I ran and got my foot under the fish enough to heave it up to a safe area.

America's Funniest Home Video ordeal, for sure.

Sorry for the hijack...