PDA

View Full Version : No Halibut

austini
08-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Taking some out of town guests fishing in the next couple weeks, so we went on an sf bay scouting trip yesterday.

Launched in Berkeley, but the bait receiver was closed. Drove over to SF Pier 45 and bought some small-ish live bait. Since we were already over there, went to Angel Island areas for a bit, but only had one hit after a few drifts... moved to Treasure Island... nothing... moved to Emeryville flats... nothing... moved to Alameda rock wall... nothing... back to Berkeley flats before... you guessed it... nothing.

Back at the dock, a couple folks had big salmon from outside the gate, and one guy had some tuna from a two day trip way offshore. Unfortunately, those who stayed in the bay suffered the same fate as us... nothing. I guess the halibut have not arrived yet. Oh well. Boat behaved, weather played nice, and the scenery can't be beat. Good luck.

fishnmike
08-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Some of the 6 pack boats have been doing well but I'm not sure where. If your friends just want to get their line pulled, fish for sharks.

Ray9368
08-28-2013, 02:44 PM
It's been a slow year for halibut so far. I was on the Morning Star out of San Rafael on Sunday with 13 people. Total of only 3 keeper halibut caught - I was lucky enough to get one of those, but even the ones caught were on the small side. All were caught on the Berkeley flats. We did get some rockfish in the morning, and the weather was great, so not a bad day. Some years it seems they are hard to find. Go get 'em next time :)

Ray

striperking13
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Tides are important, u gotta learn how to read them. I would've fish for some rock fish and moved in for hali once the tides were favorable. Didn't check the tide, but just letting u know so that next time you are more efficient with your time. FISH ON

austini
08-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I fish up in San Pablo/Suisun mostly, but head to SF Bay with live bait a couple times per year. I don't have much experience, but have done well (gotten lucky) in years past by just drifting live bait through the areas mentioned. (I don't know where to go for rockfish, but would love to try... any suggestions?)

The tides that day were like +2.x ft to a +4.x ft, with the low at 10am, so I thought that was pretty good for halibut. Oh well. I'll be back down there a couple times in September.

With or without improved reports, I'm going to fish SF Bay with the visitors to show off our beautiful area :-)

saizo
09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
There was a small snap of fish at Alcatraz last week. I saw some of the commercial guys working the area.