PDA

View Full Version : jackson meadows res./bowman lake area info needed

rc mckokanee
08-30-2013, 04:41 AM
thinking of going to the Jackson meadow area sept 12-15 and need info on camping/fishing/etc. streams?, how is the road between bowman lake and Jackson meadow res? ive been to bowman from hwy 20 before but not the other way. is there any camping at lakes between these two areas. water available at camps? im checking online but I would appreciate any first hand knowledge.

OYD
08-30-2013, 10:37 AM
If no one answers your question, send me a private message. Unfortunately, my info is from 5 or 6 years ago and it is best if you use more up to date info if someone has it for you.

LONO100
09-02-2013, 12:21 PM
camping at bowman is primitive. no water, dig a hole if you need to drop a deuce, and pack all of your trash out. jackson is about 30 minutes away. if your looking for toilets, dumpsters and water, and an easier way in, try jackson. i think its just 15 bucks a night.

i was just out that way this weekend. the road isnt too bad if you are an experienced off road driver, ive seen everything from rock crawlers to subaru foresters make it through. i wouldnt try it in a car or in a wannabe suv like a crv or something. it was dry, not too smokey, and warm days with cool nights probably between high 80's and mid 50's.

the fishing up this way is pretty hard. the fish are pretty damn smart. the fishing at bowman is good if you are willing to be up at 4 in the morning. by the time the sun comes over the mountains and lights up the lake, you only have about thirty minutes before the fish retreat. but if you can get a line wet by 5am, the trout are swimming up right at the surface.

me and my buddy caught two trout each in about a 90 minute window. i will say that the trout here seem to be pretty smart. ive seen them follow my lures all the way to the bank and turn around at the last second. my buddy even caught the biggest crawfish ive ever seen. at first it looked like a small lobster!

if you do make it out there, fish between 430am and 830am, or in the evening right at sundown you will have a good 90 minute window before they go and hide for the night.

power bait has never worked for me out there, go lures or night crawlers. i use kastmasters and rooster tails. good luck!