PDA

View Full Version : water flowed after i pulled drain plug yesterday

hrairguitar
08-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Yesterday I went out for about 4 hours. I only drove for 15 mins before anchoring and fishing. The engine probably ran a total of 30 mins (ran about 15 mins for launching/loading at dock). When I pulled the drain plug after loading there was a pretty steady flow of water. I didn't notice anything unusual while I was fishing. Usually when I pull the plug its a tiny trickle or no water. The night before I did pick up a livewell plug because I never use it. The plug didn't fit in the actual livewell but it did fit in the white plastic hole in the back of the boat near the main drain plug so I plugged that. The livewell stayed empty of water. I noticed some water in the bilge but not an amount to be concerned with.

Any thoughts on why I had so much water coming out when I pulled the drain? Did plugging that hole have anything to do with it? It probably drained a steady flow for about 30 secs. I took the boat out the day before and there was hardly anything draining. It was just me and the dog yesterday so no water was brought on other than some morning dew and when I brought anchor up. I didn't notice boat sitting lower or anything like that. And I don't see any cracks under the boat. Taking it out tomorrow night with a 275 lb buddy so just want to make sure I don't have a concern with leak

hrairguitar
08-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Anyone? Is this a dumb question and its normal or does everyone feel too bad to tell me my boat is messed up lol

crawdaddundee
08-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Best way to find the prob is to put some water in the boat while it is on the trailor with the plugs in the same as you had them and check under the boat for leaks. Could be the plug or you may have a small hole somewhere you wouldn't notice. Recently had a similar problem and found a small bb size hole right under the battery. I asume something got under it and the weight of the battery pushed it through the hull. Ya just never know.

salmonid
08-31-2013, 04:48 PM
You have the monark glass boat with the Merc tower of power right? Not sure on the live well or whatever hole you plugged up? Maybe post some pix.

My gut instinct tells me you didn't get the plug installed all the way on your last outing. Unless you struck an object your hull should be fine, but look around the transom area for cracks or rotted out material just to be sure. You could also check your plug, they can get cracked or degraded by oil/gas or whatever over time. At anyrate, have a couple extras on board within easy reach and just replace if you're unsure of the quality for cheap insurance.

Go fish with your buddy tomorrow but keep a keen eye in the bilge area for water and be sure to insert that plug all of the way. Just an idea, but I never take the plugs out of my sled, but I can see if there's water under the floor or not and there never is unless I'm on the big blue with a sporty sea.

Best,

hrairguitar
08-31-2013, 05:09 PM
So when u say put water in it do you mean put water in bilge or those white holes on the sides of the boat?

And yah the monark with the merc (lol tower of power)

Ill take some pics later. I could have not twisted the drain plug tight enough. It was kinda cold and I remember it hurting my hands. Ill use some vice grips next time.

But as a general...is it normal to have some water come out or should it be basically dry after the plug is pulled?

salmonid
08-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Depends on the boat. Like I mentioned, on my boat there is zero water if I'm just on the river. Any water in my boat would therefore have me concerned and looking for why. You're new to your boat, but sounds like that much water is out of the ordinary, so I would be somewhat concerned. Now that you mention it, I'm thinking drain plug installation problem even more. You shouldn't have to torque on it very hard to tighten it. Get a new plug and get some spares. Also, some debris can get in the drain plug hole and cause it to only partially seal. Make sure there's no junk line or other stuff when you plug it.

Best,

But as a general...is it normal to have some water come out or should it be basically dry after the plug is pulled?

FishnBeer
08-31-2013, 05:21 PM
you mentioned the livewell, did you fill up the livewell?

i accidentally let my livewell run and it started to overflow and did not realize it until the auto bilge came on. bilge ran for a good 5 minutes before it was dry

dabalone
08-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Water is coming from your boat drain plug or livewell drain? You should not plug livewell drains or the livewell will overflow down into your hull when in use. Double check your boat drain plug and make sure it is sealing, takes a very small hole to equal lots of water with some pressure pushing it.

Looking further, a aluminum boat is always suspect of leaky rivets or cracked welds. Fiberglass would normally have some visible damage if its leaking thru the hull. But, as was suggested when you just cant figure out where its leaking, empty everything out put the plug in, turn your hose on inside the boat and start looking for the leak on the outside. Until then if you decide to take it out just hit your bilge pump now and then and monitor how much water if any is being pumped out each time.

hrairguitar
08-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Ok just got home from work and checked it out. I twisted the drain plug in and noticed that when I twisted too much it started popping out a little on the seal. Its a pretty new plug . I got it a few weeks ago.

As far as livewell. The main livewell always filled up with water and I never have any use for it. So I plugged this white plastic hole (the only hole that the livewell plug fit into. The livewell remained dry last trip so I'm certain I plugged the right hole.

dabalone
08-31-2013, 06:00 PM
Probably your drain plug leaking a little. Livewells, most I would think, have a on off valve inside of them for the supply, good idea to turn it off at that point when not in use so if the livewell pump switch is accidentally turned on you won't flood dry stuff you have stored in there.

hrairguitar
08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
I think you're right. The more I think about it...I've taken the boat out prob 10 times and there was 1 other time it took on some water in bilge and it was because the plug was bad. Talk about panic haha it was the 2nd time id taken it out and luckily I had a backup so I had to change out while in the water. After that it stayed dry in bilge. That's what led to me buying a brand new plug lol. Ill update Monday morning and hopefully I come home with my boat and not just a trailer lol

salmonid
08-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Good deal! go and get 'em!

Line Stretcher
09-01-2013, 07:45 AM
1. Put a spare plug in the bilge on a chain or cable so it doesn't leave. You can put it in from the inside and it'll get you home no problem.

2. You can put a 3/4" ball valve from Home Depot in between the live well pump and the thru hull fitting and just close it. I have my fresh water wash down system setup that way. Then, if you decide you want to use the live well you can. ABYC calls for all below waterline through hull fittings to be securable with a sea cock and that's what the valve is referred to when installed in a boat.

There is no difference between the so called Marine Bronze version and the HD Bronze version. You can even use a PVC ball valve if you want.