PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Kickoff Sharking

tmacdaddy42
09-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Hey fellas,

I'm launching out of Emeryville and heading out to Treasure Island on Sunday to try and snag some leopards and hopefully a 7-gill or two (and to check out the new bridge). It'll be my first time out in the boat fishing for them. I've made about 10 land-based trips this summer with mediocre success. There's so much good info on these threads that I feel like I'll have a pretty good approach come Sunday. I'll be out in a 18' skiff so avoiding the wind will be a concern, but the NOAA forecasts look alright. Other than that I'll just be trying to find some holes on the edge of the channels in 40'-70' of water, studying the fish finder, and keeping that bait on the bottom. I'm picking up a smorgasbord of shark candy from the local Asian market.

Any advice from you vets before I get out there? This will probably be my last trip this summer before I head back to school in San Luis Obispo so I'm trying to go out with a BANG.

GNappers
09-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Some salmon have been picked up at California City lately. Striper action is picking up at from the Marin Islands to Pinole/Hercules. I know that doesn't help with shark but, the Halibut bite has been slow this year and I think it would be nice to get some fish or he table.

fishnmike
09-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Sounds like you have it right. I was out there last weekend and caught fish at both TI and Hunters Point.

pikawood
09-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Try and get some salmon bellies (even fins and other salmon undesirables). They are the best shark bait I have used by far. You don't need a huge wad or anything. The bait stays on really well.

If you want to specifically target Leopards, you might also try fishing a little shallower up by the Alameda Rock Wall. I've caught several fish over 5' there in less than 10' of water.

Good luck!

tmacdaddy42
09-09-2013, 06:45 AM
So I ended up going out and fishing right underneath the new bay bridge. It was pretty much the only spot where we were protected from the wind and weren't getting tossed around. Fished in about 40'-50' of water but it seemed very flat and muddy out there (except for a small area under the bridge that was dredged and got down to about 90'. Caught about 6 rays and 4 sharks, 1 small keeper size about 38". All the rays came on squid and the bigger leopard on frozen mackerel. Also, tried the salmon belly with no success, but I've had it sitting in my fridge for over a week so it may have been a little too stinky. We also has 2 HUGE take downs where as soon I set the hook it felt like a train and then the leader snapped off. Pretty disappointing, they were probably the two biggest fish of the day. The wind really limited the places that we could fish and it was pretty difficult to work around TI and mark fish and the deeper holes that we were targeting. Overall fun trip, but I would like to get on some bigger sharks next time if any of you have tips on how to stay protected and find the deeper water where the fish may be holding.

fishnmike
09-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Congrats! Its all a learning process out there. Wind is just something you end up having to deal with during the summer. November can be really nice out there weather wise. You can also head over along the San Fran city line from about the ball park south all the way to Hunters Point and get out of the wind. However you will end up bobbing like a cork in the bay, its just the way it is.

What did the big take downs come on? If on squid it was most likely a big bat ray. If on salmon belly it might have been a big soupfin or seven gill. Were you running wire leader? How big?

tmacdaddy42
09-09-2013, 09:03 AM
One big pulldown was on squid and the other was on mackerel. We were running a 3' wire leader (pre-rigged sturgeon leader) but they both broke off at the swivel where the leader connects to braided line. I guess they were faulty knots or something but I've literally never had that problem before with a fish of any size.

Another question, how heavily do you rely on what you're seeing on your fish finder (spotting fish) and only fishing in these areas where you see fish? Or is more of targeting a certain depths or changes in depth and knowing that the fish will hold in these types of areas?

QueenAnnesRevenge
09-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Depth finders can be a blessing and a curse. Through experimentation you will learn where fish are likely to be during which tides. Lots of guys fish their "spots" regardless of seeing fish on the sonar. Even in 50' of water your cone is only like 15 degrees so a 7.5' circle of the bottom. Sharks and rays especially feed with their senses so they will travel to your baits by smell.
As for your leader. You may be better off buying a spool of wire some crimps and making your own leaders. Cheaper in the long run, quality control, different lengths etc.
We used to kill leopards in the shipping lane in san Pablo in front of the rodeo flats waiting for the right stuegeon tide. If your looking for a different spot, view, wind direction

fishnmike
09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
So was it the main braided line that broke or the wire leader? I run 65lb braid and 130 lb coated wire leaders.

Out on the bay for sharks I rely on my fish finder heavily. There are sharks all over the bay but if you setup where you see a lot of fish and bait on the graph you will have those 20 to 30 fish days. Without a lot of fish on the graph its usually a slow pick.