PDA

View Full Version : Tomales Labor Day Report (a little late)

pikawood
09-08-2013, 09:40 AM
A little late but just wanted to give a report. It's been a while since I posted and have had a great salmon year. This might have been my last trip out in the ocean for salmon this year so I wanted to post something!

Took my dad out on Labor Day Monday for our little family derby. (We have a small annual derby that's just my dad, myself and my uncles and cousins.) We were a little discouraged by the fishing reports for the week before but I have been doing very well every other time out. The last 5 times out I limited out fairly easily and have put at least 1-2 huge fish in the boat each time out. We started out slow trolling off Tomales head while looking for bait. Never really came across a good concentration of bait all the way down to McClures.

We tried the spot where I caught a 35lber the week before - a little bowl on the north side of McClures in about 65' of water. We started marking a little bait and put the trolling rigs away and switched to mooching. After about 15 mins we had our first take down but the fish dropped the bait. This happened about 4-5 times in a matter of about 30 mins. Each time we checked the line we could see that the bait was mangled but not swallowed. This happened another time or two before we realized it was the birds that were screwing with our bait! A couple of times they surfaced right after we got hit.

We moved down to 10 mile and were the only boat1659916600 there. It was about 9:30 am by this time and we had nothing in the box. Discouraged by the lack of fish on deck we tried a few drifts for halibut. Not a touch. We were after all in a salmon derby so we went to another spot I fished earlier in the year - a little hump off of 10 mile. Its a small area that is about 65-70 feet deep and surrounded by water that is 8-12' deeper. The spot is probably about 300' x 300' We started marking bait and killed the motor and started to mooch. We fished for about 45mins-1 hour with no luck. We fired up the motor and started to make a run back to McClures when I marked a big school of bait not 50 feet from where we started the motor. I said to dad, "let's give it just 5 mins and then we'll run back to McClures". He dropped down to the bottom (about 68') and immediately got slammed. After a 15-20 min fight we boated his beautiful 32 pounder. We kept on top of the bait ball often starting up the motor and looking for them after just 2-3 mins of drifting. Over the next 45 mins to an hour we boated 3 more monsters - not as big as the first but every fish weighed between 24-26 lbs. Finished up our limits right around 1. Tried for halibut for the rest of the day without a single strike. Nice salmon though.

JB14
09-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Great job finding them and staying on them. Chrome is salt is tough right now. Good job!

dennis l
09-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Try Try again !! Way to go persitence pays off Nice fish :shocked:

salmonid
09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Beautiful chrome pigs!

Congrats,