PDA

View Full Version : Where to park?

Dayah
09-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi, I am new in fishing, just started in April 2013 and loving it ever since. Since I am new, my partner and I have been going to new places to try and catch some fish. We heard about Freeport and Knights Landing. We went to Freeport and wanted to try Elk Slough for catfish last night but couldn't find any parking spot that's near to the slough without encountering something like 'No Trespassing' or 'Private Area'. We drove along Netherlands Road. I'm not sure if Knights Landing is also the same. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me where I can park, legally, or any other alternatives to go to Elk Slough and probably Lisbon Slough. Thanks! :)

WesternStriper
09-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Keep this in your pocket, just in case...

National Rivers: California River Law, on river conservation, river access, paddling, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, fly-fishing, and California river ownership. (http://www.adventuresports.com/river/nors/states/ca-law.htm)

Owlman2
09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
I have only fished a few times in the delta area, and have similar questions. There are numerous signs saying that the levees (even the main river channel levees, apparently) are private property and no access is allowed. I am sure that is not true, but nonetheless it is intimidating to access the water with these signs staring you in the face.

The basic situation is this. County authorities are in cahoots with the local landowners attempting to deny or strongly limit public access to these waterways. They cannot legally do it, and I am pretty sure they know that they cannot do it. But, if you are a county bureaucrat faced with complaints from land owners, and "problems" arising from public access, who cares about the law right? Easiest for them just to try to prevent access.

There are identical problems on other local rivers...such as the Cosumnes.

Bear in mind federal law is on your side, but you might have to deal with some unpleasant confrontations and harassment from local "authorities" to assert your rights.