PDA

View Full Version : Dungeness crabs

hqly2001
10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Is it legal to keep them? I see a sign on the pier in san francisco that states no dungeness.. and heard that you will get fine for keeping them.

If they are legal in the ocean, then do u need a license for crab? and how do u fish in the coean or bay?
off the pier i would tie it to the pier.. but on a boat.. u dont have much choice.. drop tie to boat fish then check every hr?

charter boat uses floats.. how can u be sure where u left it or if no one takes it? stay near it?

Mr_Ed
10-11-2005, 11:26 PM
I have not "crabed" in SF for a long time. Up in Seattle we go to the docks & throw "ring nets with bait into the water during the tides! The Male's (dungenus) belly looks like an arrow head design; where the female looks like the ace of spades. Only males can be kept with a 7 1/2" distance between the outside shell "horns". all "Rock" crabs can be kept no sex or size; but this was in 1999 Check the "regs"..as always!!

Rock_Hopper
10-12-2005, 06:16 AM
You cannot keep dungeness inside SF bay. You can keep red crabs and rock crabs, though.

You can only keep dungeness outside of SF bay during dungeness season and yes, you need a license.

If you throw a crab net from a pier it counts as a pole. (2 pole limit on public piers). Apart from crab nets people also use snares to catch crabs.

If you drop a crab net from a boat you can use GPS to find your bouy.

If you're ever unsure of the laws then get a copy of the regs. Don't listen to what some yahoo (including myself) tells you. I see incorrect info being given out all the time on every single forum I visit. People might just be trying to help, but you can bet your @ss that they're not going to help you pay the ticket you get for taking their advice!

Fishbutt21
10-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I agree with Rock Hopper. Some of the best advice you can follow is to not follow any and get the regs and learn for yourself whats right and wrong

Team_Sheryl_Lee
10-12-2005, 05:58 PM
we use gps to mark the start and end of our string
i throw a few hoop nets near where i am fishing
but they have a better chance to drift
i put a 4 lb weight in them to help keep them in place
"please" always weight your rope so that it will not float and fowl your and my prop
there is a lot of theiving that goes on outside of bodega bay but normally they just rob your crabs and leave your pot unlatched and unbaited
i am begining to use the larger heavier commercial pots and crabing in deeper water
this may help keep the theives without crab pot pullers from helping themselves to my hard work
last year the legal size for dungies was 5&3/4" between the horns
for the commercial boys they had to be 6&1/4 and only male
sport fishers were allowed to keep females although that is like shooting your self in the foot
with out the girls there will be no more crabs
i have not read the regs on crabs for this year yet but have heard it starts nov. 5th
hope this info helps you out a little
and please do as rock hopper and others say
"check the regs for your self"

TSL