PDA

View Full Version : Opening weekend sun 10-20

brimstonne
10-21-2013, 07:55 AM
My buddy pulled reservation#3 for little dry creek. Morning was awesome birds everywhere. Tons and tons of specs. All in all a great day any day hunting or fishing is better than a day at work even though its alot more work lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

hanahou7
10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Nice lookin birds! Still lookin to get out for my first trip...hopefully Sunday. Good luck on your next trip!

brimstonne
10-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Cant wait this sun oct 27 got reservations at delevan. Good luck if ya make it out bud

GNappers
10-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Nice. Tell a novice duck hunter what kind of ducks those are. The dog approves. I think we need some colder weather for the blues to come in the bay. Haven't been out to Richmond in a week so maybe they are already there. Lot's of coots were there and some mallards with wigeon and maybe some canvasbacks.

calamari
10-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Brimstone, I count 3 birds in the photo. Please, PLEASE! Tell me you took a blind with Res. #3. I'm sure there are more if you did.

brimstonne
10-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I had 3 but between 3 of us we got 10 birds lost 4 and missed 3. We took blind 2. Today was slow allll day at sacramento nwr took blind one and got a hen widgeon and a ross goose but still better than being home

K-15
10-28-2013, 07:27 AM
I had 3 but between 3 of us we got 10 birds lost 4 and missed 3. We took blind 2. Today was slow allll day at sacramento nwr took blind one and got a hen widgeon and a ross goose but still better than being home

Sounds like you guys had a good time, may I suggest one of you get a dog,..a good retriever will virtually eliminate any lost birds,..and makes for good company when hunting solo.Have a good season! Mike

brimstonne
10-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Sounds like you guys had a good time, may I suggest one of you get a dog,..a good retriever will virtually eliminate any lost birds,..and makes for good company when hunting solo.Have a good season! Mike

Oh man mike its been on my list for a while my buddy cant have one because he lives in a small apt and we dont have more room for another dog yet. Next season or following all should be good with a chocolate lab and I wont have to hike any longer or loose birds....

calamari
10-28-2013, 05:47 PM
I've hunted ducks for over 50 years w/o a dog and average losing 2 birds a year. Crippled birds that land in water will almost always go to dry land. After you've looked for them for a good long time out in the water, go to the closet bank and look under the vegetation that hangs over the water. They'll let you step on them rather than move so go slow and be thorough. Wait an hour and go back and patrol the bank again.
Dead bird in the water I take as long as it takes to find it or stomp an acre of tules even if that's the last bird I shoot that day. Go slowly and look into the cover instead of at it. You'll be surprised at how you can suddenly see a bird in plain sight that was invisible just a second earlier.

P.S. You've used up a lifetimes worth of luck getting that low a number at LDC. Good job on the draw anyway.

brimstonne
10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I've hunted ducks for over 50 years w/o a dog and average losing 2 birds a year. Crippled birds that land in water will almost always go to dry land. After you've looked for them for a good long time out in the water, go to the closet bank and look under the vegetation that hangs over the water. They'll let you step on them rather than move so go slow and be thorough. Wait an hour and go back and patrol the bank again.
Dead bird in the water I take as long as it takes to find it or stomp an acre of tules even if that's the last bird I shoot that day. Go slowly and look into the cover instead of at it. You'll be surprised at how you can suddenly see a bird in plain sight that was invisible just a second earlier.

P.S. You've used up a lifetimes worth of luck getting that low a number at LDC. Good job on the draw anyway.

Yea this is my first year hunting. A guy that is a friend of the family been doin it for 51years and is teaching me the ropes. The birds we lost we looked a little over a hr for each bird and once again on the way out for 30mins. I dont kill for fun its to put food on the table..

calamari
10-29-2013, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=brimstonne;966971] I dont kill for fun its to put food on the table../QUOTE]

If you're hunting only to feed yourself or your family you'd be better off taking all the money that hunting, and especially duck hunting, costs and buy food at the store. It doesn't pencil out from a subsistence standpoint.

GNappers
10-30-2013, 11:29 PM
I have fun hunting, making duck jerky, making bacon wrapped duck breast, cleaning ducks shooting ducks, being in the blind, reloading when a bunch of ducks come in, putting out the decoys, making coffee or food in the blind, listening to my buddy's small dog bark when we shoot and jump in the boat to get the downed birds. Sometimes crips dive immediately and will not come up for a long time or we chase them raise the motor and by the time we are ready to shoot they have already dove. Reminds me I still have to purchase my hunting license, stamps and some shells. Might clean the gun before I shoot.

brimstonne
11-01-2013, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=brimstonne;966971] I dont kill for fun its to put food on the table../QUOTE]

If you're hunting only to feed yourself or your family you'd be better off taking all the money that hunting, and especially duck hunting, costs and buy food at the store. It doesn't pencil out from a subsistence standpoint.

Well sir its not about the money. I do hunt to put food on the table because I would rather kill my own dinner than buy a piece of meat at the store.