PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Boats

Mako
09-27-2005, 09:18 AM
I may have an opportunity to fish San Diego in the next few weeks.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the 1/2, 3/4 or 1 day boats?

triggerfish
09-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Mako,keep an eye on sportfishingreport.com it will give you each boat count. Then you can decide if would be worth it. I usally dont go unless its 2days or more.

Intimidator
09-28-2005, 05:12 AM
The Legend 1-(619) 722-6461

triggerfish
09-28-2005, 06:26 AM
just whitefish,rockfish.etc. no yellowtail in the counts,on the local trips. not very exciting. :-/

Mako
09-28-2005, 07:34 AM
are there any rockfish or calico bass, seabass, or yellowtail boats that I can get some meat for the freezer?

Pimpinmeat
09-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I just got back from an overnight at San Clemente. It was one of those should've been out yesterday deals. Look for a 1 1/2 day trip, other than that I think all there is freezer fillers bass, rockcod trips.. There was a decent calico bite but we chased yellows all day but they didn't want to go for us. It's been a brutal season for me, private boating and party boating, my timing has been terrible. There's usually a good fall yellowtail bite this time of year so maybe you'll get lucky.

Striperman
09-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Look on the Fishermans Landing website. They have one of the best fleats down there! I dont usually do the day trips but if you want a longer trip the Excel and the RP are both EXCELENT boats! Great crews and will put you on fish, Lots of fish....!!

Striperman

triggerfish
09-28-2005, 07:57 PM
point loma,H&M,fishermans landing, islanda,helgrams in oceanside,and i think there is one or two more. they all have local trips ,1/2,3/4,day trips. you will get rockfish,sand bass,sculpen,whitefish. just remember that those local reefs have been fished hard for the last 40 years or so. so the size of the fish won't be the greatest.But you never know,there is always a chanch of a halibut or yellowtail.

SEEKER
09-28-2005, 09:55 PM
have a look at 976tuna.com ALL the info YOU WILL NEED.

gmdcdvm
09-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I was just down there last week. I visit the family quite often in San Diego, and I take my nieces/nephews fishing every time I go. Usually I do 1/2 day boats with the kids, but I also fish the 3/4 and Full days with my buddies. I probably go out about 12 times a year (whenever I visit the family).

You can find a lot of info. on the website www.allcoastsportfishing.com. These are all mainly southern california people.

They have a section for daily fish reports. Now, as far as local fishing goes the 1/2 day boats are almost a waste of time. Most of the fishing within their range of 6 hours is really hit or miss with miss being more likely. They go for rock cod, calico bass, sand bass, and white fish. On occasion someone might hook into a nice yellowtail, but not often.

A better bet is either a 3/4 day trip going to the Islands for rock or a 3/4 day targeting yellowtail. Your best bet would be a full day (24hrs) or 1.5 day boat. My buddy went on a 3 day boat this last weekend and the yellowtail and yellowfin bit well for them. No bluefin or albies now. It will start to slow down now this time of year.

As for boats (back to your original question): H&M landing has the Fisherman III for 1/2 days and the Malihini for 3/4d's. You can also try Islandia, Seaforth, or Point Loma sportfishing. They all have similar trips. I just went out on the Fisherman III, and although the fishing was horrible (on a half day boat) the crew were excellent. They made sure the kids and less experienced anglers had a chance at some rock fish by casting out for them, showing them how to hook the fish, etc. Overall they did a great job.

I can give you more info. if you like. Let me know. Sorry about the long response.
Gerry