PDA

View Full Version : Question about river flows

Fire_Medic
10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I often see people on here talking about river flows and how they can be too low or too high. For example, the AR apparently has really low flows right now. My first question is what flow range (or cfs) is ideal? I'm assuming the ideal flows for a larger river would be different than a smaller river, so how do you know which flows are best for different rivers? Lastly, where can I find reports on river flows?

Thanks!

Roba
10-28-2013, 05:41 AM
This is the link to the American river. You can research to your hearts content and see the historical flows in prior years. When you have been fishing for years and have see all different flows you will learn what flows do to your style of fishing. Also the Salomon need water to spawn and the eggs to hatch. If the eggs go dry then the fish eggs die, so water level is critical during the spawning times. CDEC - Data Application (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=nat) If you search this website you will find reporting stations on the Sacramento river and feather river.

Robert

Line Stretcher
10-28-2013, 08:30 AM
There is no answer regarding ideal river flows. To understand why, you need to look back in history at recorded flows before the dams were built. Unfortunately there was no need to record them so they rarely exist.

However, if you consider that we are artificially creating flow rates using stored reserves that were not present before the dams were built, I think you will find that the natural flow rates were far lower than what they are now and certainly far less during cyclic drought periods.

BIG_ONE
10-28-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't know about you guys...but - the higher the water, the more fish I catch. It pushes all the fish right along the bank.

:redface::redface::redface:

Fire_Medic
10-28-2013, 03:24 PM
thanks for the info guys. Roba ill definitely be checking out that website

Cali Duck
10-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Let's see what kind of reaction I get to this one...

I'd say the ideal range for the AR (in terms of fishing) is 2500-3500cfs

SHM
10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Yeah that's a good range. Anything below 5,000cfs is fishable and is alright with me. Ideal would be in the 2000-3500 range.

SHM