PDA

View Full Version : Tuna reports

Intimidator
09-12-2005, 05:24 AM
Anybody with reports could you please post?

SEEKER
09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Looking like Thursday and Friday were the best bets. Was slow REAL SLOW over the weekend. I am awaiting for a few reports to come in before nights end. I`ll let you know when I get word. TIGHT LINES, Rich

SEEKER
09-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Well, no changes they ran but came up with 2 just inside. The other source has yet to call. I`m sure I`ll hear something today. TIME TO HEAD SOUTH :) TIGHT LINES, Rich

Intimidator
09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for that

judyann
09-15-2005, 07:43 AM
9/14/05 Old School Tuna Fishing (Deadly Dave)

Got to SC with my ‘novice tuna student’ for a session in ‘Old School Tuna Fishing’. He was a fellow co-worker who could only go fishing Wed this week so the only choice was the WW. Only 6 people showed up this morning and we heard that 8 others had cancelled out (If you were one of those who didn’t go, you really don’t want to read any further because you’ll become landsick.)

Now, a six-pak size group on a 75 ft tuna boat…………I was pleasantly surprised that the trip was not cancelled on the spot. Instead, we motored over to BocciBoy for some mixed size chovies, with a lot of racehorse chovies. Settled in for a 40+ mile trip out ‘past the weather buoy’.

Now, the Penn University class was last Fri/Sat and their banner was still up in the galley. But today was time for the ‘Old School’ as half the guys were retired or nearly so.

In the morning hours we motored beyond the buoy and came upon an area loaded with sealife, birds, dolphins galore chasing bait. Worked past the area and then started picking up some jigfish that wanted zuker zucchini’s on both the meatline and rod’n’reel. One fish on the dead bait slide, a classic ‘Old School’ tactic, using a 2 oz chromie sinker, short leader and dead anchovy. Easy to get bit on 25 string on the slide but not quite so easy on the stop unless you had a hot bait. 20 string was bit pretty easy. The morning fish were cookie cutter peanuts, except for one almost 20 lbs that came on live bait.

Early afternoon fish stopped the boat by attacking the old reliable zuker zucchini. These were bruiser class fish of 25-35 lb size range. They wanted to chew on the live stuff. They came right to the stern looking for a handout and inhaled the bait on 20 string and it was game on. These were ass kicking fish and at least a couple fish broke lines. One almost spooled a reel and had to be chased down to land it.

One key point which is not ‘Old School’ was the use of fluorocarbon leaders matched to the size of the line. Examples: 20 lb main line nylon line with 25 lb fluorocarbon leader material. 25 lb main line nylon line wih 30 lb fluorocarbon leader material, etc.

The novice tuna student did well by landing 2 troll fish and one bait fish. He’s hooked for life now…………………………….

Good Luck,
DeadlyDave

Intimidator
09-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Nice report....That Floro is the way to go.
Did you guys use that new seguar knot?
It is the new craz from So-Cal.
Maybe i'll get the call from Captian Ron on the Tuanasish????
I hope,I hope??????

judyann
09-16-2005, 07:14 AM
I just took that report off the coastside board for your info. But I am planning to jump on the Wild Wave soon.

GXC6
09-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Intimidator,
Did you mean this one?

http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar.html

Intimidator
09-18-2005, 09:52 AM
That's not the way we tied them......
But we did make the figure eight?????