PDA

View Full Version : New Brighton State Beach (9/9,10,11)

Rock_n_Reel
09-13-2005, 08:21 AM
We got to the beach Friday night. I rigged a pole and cast in. Before I could setup the second pole, I had a fish on. It turned out to be a 9.5" red tail (haven't caught a legal one yet). The next three casts ended up snagging something that wouldn't budge. I had to break off all thee times. Off to the hotel.

On Saturday morning, we were getting double hookups of kingfish. I thought they were shad so I was tossing them back until someone told me I should be keeping them (after the bite turned off of coarse). I managed to keep two that were about 9". The meat was pretty mushy though, maybe they need deep frying. We also caught three jacksmelt at 13", 14", and 15.5" (I always thought smelt were little guys). Those were fun since they really pounced on the bait and you can actually feel them on the line. They're such wigglers, I could barely hang on the them after unhooking. Two had worms in the flesh, but it was easy to get them out. The rest of the catch was mostly barred surfperch and a couple of shiner surfperch. The largest was only 8" and most were palm sized or smaller. We also kept hooking what I believe were dinky cabezon. They're usually about 2" - 4", green, and have horns that pop up when you handle them. I hooked one of them twice. He still had the hook in his throat from the previous catch. I had to leave the hooks in a lot because they were usually so deep. I told them to go get their big brothers, but it didn't work :-)

Sunday was mostly surfperch and a kingfish (one of the two mentioned above). I was hoping for a striper, but no luck. The digital camera's battery door broke so we couldn't take any pictures. Overall, we had a blast. It's my third and most productive ocean trip. I can't wait to go back!

FishinFool408
09-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Congrats Boatless. Sounds like you had loads of fun out there...

h00kie
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the report Boatless. Congrats on the catch.

If you were fishing to the right by the cliff, you probably snagged on the rocks & boulders that were once part of the cliff. I've had that happen to me several times.

BTW, how was the water condition? Red tide? Were there birds working the water?

put_em_back
09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the report. I've been meaning to get back to that area for perch and possibly stripers which are far and few between right now.

The small fish that you caught could have been a bullhead which make good striper bait. When you grab them they flatten their heads and the horns come up.

Rock_n_Reel
09-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys! I'm glad the information was useful.

It did feel like I snagged on rocks hOOkie and we were right by the cliff. I can usually feel the kelp budge or move with the surf and this had no give at all. Next time, I'll rig a banana sinker with a grub and retrieve over the top of them. There wasn't a red tide, fortunately. I've never actually seen one, but things looked pretty normal. There was a lot of kelp when the tide peaked and sometimes, the birds would swarm within casting distance. There was even a sea lion that came right up to the shore and hung out with swimmers.

Put_em_back: I think you're right. On the DFG web site, it says another name for cabezon is bullhead. I wondered if the stripers liked them. I was hoping a striper would go after one of those little guys when I was reeling them in :-)

put_em_back
09-15-2005, 12:20 AM
I looked for a picture of what we call a bullhead and the official DFG name is Pacific Staghorn Sculpin - see link: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mspcont7.html#staghorn

put_em_back
09-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Oops, hit the wrong key and posted. Here is link to Cabezon and the look similar, but they are different:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mspcont7.html#cabezon

h00kie
09-15-2005, 07:52 AM
thanks for the reply Boatless. Let us know how the banana sinker works out for you. There is a channel between rocks there that holds fish so if you hit it right you could do very well.