PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch Fishing

Stinger
08-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Anyone know where is a good spot to fish for perch on the beach either near San Jose in the southbay or near san francisco??

Thanks! ;)

panfish_popper
08-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Yesterday, Somebody told me that they were nailing them at Pacifica Pier.

CORN
08-01-2005, 12:01 PM
YEARS ago, my buddy took me to one of the beaches near Half Moon Bay. He used custom made nets with long handles to catch those small sand crabs, which he then used to catch the perch.

wading2fish
08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
You could try anywhere from the Pacifica pier on the pier or around the beaches there, all the way down to Pescadero anywhere you can find access to the beach. I would use a surf leader with small hooks, maybe size 1 thru 4, and small pieces of pile worm. Sand crabs can also catch perch.

Rock_Hopper
08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Or use 1.5" - 3" grubs. Kalin's grubs are good. Try the following colors:

Amber Hologram
Perch Power
Motor Oil Red Flake
Motor Oil Gold Flake
Brown Crawdad

wading2fish
08-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Rock Hopper,

What size of lead heads do use for those grubs. For line I'm thinking 8-10 lb test? You cast and retrieve those grubs right?

w2f

Rock_Hopper
08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
No lead heads. I just Carolina rig 'em. 8-12lb main line-->1/2oz - 2oz egg sinkers---> 2' - 3' leader w/size 2,4, or 6 hook.

Just cast out into the breakers and give a slow retrieve. Walleyes and redtails in my area. Also some silvers and barred perch.

I've been posting a few reports on pierfishing.com if you're interested in the whole boring report.

wading2fish
08-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanx for the info 'hopper,

I'm gonna try that. I have always caught them on surf leaders mostly w/pileworms, but always willing to learn new approaches. BTW, nice ling on the bottom of your posts, that's a ling right?

Rock_Hopper
08-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Yup. Caught it from shore on 14lb test a little north of Bodega Bay. Was using squid on a rock-cod leader and hooked into a 20" ling. A few cranks into retrieving that ling and the one pictured grabbed onto it. The big ling had the little ling by the head, and had more than half of the length of its body in its mouth. Musta been real hungry. Or just real pissed off.

Anyway, the big ling was never hooked, just holdin' on like a pit. My leader snapped in the surf and my buddy pretty much dove on the fish, but it wiggled free. My other friend tried to grab it by the gills and got the S**T cut out of his hand. I finally got my foot under it and heaved it onto the beach a little. Through all of this the big ling never let go of the little ling.

If videotaped, I'm pretty sure the whole ordeal would've won America's Funniest Home Videos.

Rock_Hopper
08-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Just realized I hijacked this thread and never gave the original poster much info!

Stinger - try Pomponio Beach and San Gregorio Beach. Lots or Barred and Redtail perch being caught in that area. Use the grubs I mentioned above. If it's bright out and the water is clear use light colored, sparkly grubs. (The Amber Hologram is good for these conditions.) If the water is "dirty" or if it's very overcast out try using the MORF or Perch Power grubs.

A little bit of scent never hurts either. I use sardine Smelly Jelly, just because I just started becoming a grub addict and that's what I happened to have already. It does work.

Good luck!

CORN
08-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Nothing wrong with a little hijacking as long as you come back to the main topic(which you did). I enjoyed the story. Sounds like it was a lot of fun... can't believe how long those hitchhiking lings hang on. Thanks for sharing.

I've also heard from friends that small rootbeer/motor oil colored grubs work real well.

wading2fish
08-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Hopper,

Nice story to go along with that nice fish!

w2f

recs1 JBF
08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
wading2fish here is a picture of how the rig for perch looks

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1295/grubslinger7mq.jpg

wading2fish
08-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Recs,
Thanx for the pic of the surf rig, nice setup. It's exactly what I had pictured in my mind, except for the bead. I was gonna pre tie some tonite, but I don't have any beads, I think it's a nice touch. So I'll pick some up tomorrow.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
sounds cool. I will try it when the striper bite is over. ;)

wading2fish
08-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Master Baiter,
Why wait till the striper run is over? I like to bring two poles. One rigged for stripers and the other for perch and alternate my fishing.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-03-2005, 08:44 PM
I should do that. I cant get a striper so I should try for a perch. I want to spend the time I have for stripers. I think the perch will be there when the stripers are gone. I only live like 5 min from the beach.

Double_D
08-03-2005, 10:35 PM
MB..I'm going to go Perching this weekend before and after fishing for Striper's in the surf. ;D

MB_Kevin
08-04-2005, 09:56 PM
let me know I want to see it. do you come out after the striper season just to get perch??

wading2fish
08-05-2005, 07:48 PM
http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/4557/dsc0006421gq.jpg

Got some ideas from RockHopper and Recs for rigging up Carolina style rigs for surf perch.I took a pic of some I just pre tied. Going out with my wife and kids and try and get into some perch. We're going to try Pescadero first and move around if not too much action there. I'm going to bring my striper gear also, see what happens 8)

w2f

Rock_Hopper
08-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Nice!

Any luck with those grubs pictured?

I have some pepper/chartruese grubs that look like the ones on the right, but have never tried the white grubs.

wading2fish
08-08-2005, 02:52 PM
SKUNKED!
Started out at Pescadero on Sunday at about 12:30. Left after about an hour, the place was practically unfishable because of all the kelp and seaweed floating around. Next I hit Pomponio St. Beach. The conditions there were awesome for fishing. No seaweed and the waves were fairly calm. Fished it for about two hours. I started off with the dark pumpkinseed grubs, no hits so I tried the white and some yellow grubs with same results. At about three I headed up north and fished the Princeton jetty. Same thing up there, skunked. there was a ton of people along the jetty. Most guys were crabbing with fishing poles with these weird crab traps I have not seen before. Besides a few crabs the only thing I seen pulled out was a small kingfish that was thrown back. Even though I got skunked I am not giving up, and will be back out hopefully next weekend.

Rock_Hopper
08-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Give the grubs I mentioned a try. My favorite (right now) are the 1.5" Kalin's Amber Hologram and Perch Power.

You might also want to add a little scent. It seems to help a little, although definitely not required.

One more thing to remember also is that a lot of fish are right offshore. I've caught walleye perch by leaving my bait or grub on the sand, and getting hit when the incoming wave covers it.

Good luck! Once you hook into a big old redtail or Barred you'll be hooked.

ken_fishnfool
08-09-2005, 07:49 AM
I think you used wrong colors also. Listen to RockHopper about color choice, it makes a huge difference.
Also don't be hesitant about digging up a few sand crabs and throwing them on the same rig you used. They are the perches natural bait, after all. ;)

wading2fish
08-09-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm going to get those grubs you're using 'Hopper and give them a try, maybe I'll even throw on a sand crab also. Another thing I'm going to do differently this weekend is get out there alot earlier. I'll try to be on the beach by 6 am. I think that will also make a big difference.

w2f

surf_fisher
08-09-2005, 11:46 PM
I was at drakes beach and it was non-stop action on barred perches. Every cast yielded bites until it got to me. I was in knee deep and would get hits by dangling in by my side. I was using pumpkinseed power grub but I don't think it matter what I tossed. I was using a size 1 hook so I would get decent size (10 - 15 inchers) instead of the dinks. there are a ton of them there,so it would be fun for the kids or the newbies. the surf there is not as rough but still be cautious.

one note: calicos and redtails are hard to determine but side by side they are totally different. calicos are rounder with red speckles or dots and the greyish red tails. redtails have yellow bars and the red tails. I took some pics but turned out crappy.

I was stopped by four guys telling me my calicos were reds and they were illegal. Luckily, I had both so I gave them a little education. I like to take only calicos/redtails home to eat. any ways rockhopper has some great pics.

MB_Kevin
08-10-2005, 08:41 PM
wow im going to try surf perch fishing after the stripers are all gone.
what ones cant I keep?? I didnt know there was a difference. Also is there a season that you cant keep them. If anyone has info or pic it would be great.

surf_fisher
08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
My calicos were just under the 10.5 inches which redtails must be. only the redtails have a size limit. In the bay, there is a season on all perches.

Flipper266
08-11-2005, 09:35 AM
MB check out pierfishing.com they have a lot of posts with pics of different surfperch.

Hiking-Jay
08-12-2005, 10:12 AM
I'll jump in here too to say that the colors Rock Hopper has suggested are definitely the way to go. But, I'll also suggest a slight change to the rigs you're using for grubs. I find that I've been a little more sucessful by using Owner Mosquito hooks, either 4's or 6's, and nose hooking the grubs. I think it lets the grub swing around a bit more in the surf providing a more natural presentation. Also, those Owner Mosquitos are just a great hook, definitely my favorite for perch.

Rusty_Hooks
08-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Hey, thanks for that Jay and welcome to the board ;) ;D

wading2fish
08-13-2005, 10:57 AM
thanks for tips hikingjay,
I'm also going to try a twist of my own next time out. I'm going to bring some pile worms, and if the grubs aren't producing any bites, I'm going to use a worm threader to thread a pile worm on that same carolina rig.

w2f

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 06:43 AM
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/3342/pech22jo.jpg

Spent a few hours Sunday at Rockaway. All I have to show for it is this six incher. It was fun though. I finally found some Kalin's grubs like Rockhopper recommended, and I am impressed. Last week I spent all day Saturday with some other brand name grubs and not a single bite. Sunday I had a few bites before landing this little guy, and I credit the Kalin's grubs for that. I was using a Eagle claw baitholder, next time I'll try some Owner Mosquito hooks like a sniffer recommended. I didn't find the colors Hopper recommended, but still looking for them. I had my striper rig ready in case I saw signs of stripers. No signs all day, no birds diving or bait jumping, but about a half hour before I left a bunch of fishermen showed up, mostly lure throwers but also a few baiters, so I decided to throw my Polaris out a few times. Nothing. As a matter of fact that little perch I landed was the only fish I seen landed the whole time I was there. The surf wasn't that rough but the wind was kicking butt.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-15-2005, 08:59 PM
That is a nice surf perch. I know I would be proud if I had cought it. ;)

wading2fish
08-16-2005, 01:25 AM
Hey MB,
I know it's a rinky dink :-[, but I am going thru somewhat of a drought, haven't caught anything worth keeping for some time now. That little guy, well I knew I would probably get a few laughs out of some sniffers for posting that but it's all I caught and talk is cheap. I've been out trying to catch perch and stripers, but because of kids and work it's been hard puttin in some serious fishing time and I just learned how to post pics recently so anything I catch from now on I would like to post ;). I have caught some nice red tails out of Rockaway before but I don't have any pics to prove it.

w2f

ken_fishnfool
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Thats a perfect perch! :D
Throw him out for halibut or striper bait!! ;D
(A buddy of mine once showed me how those little shiners taste DEEP-FRYED! MMM-MMM- GGOOOOOOOODD!)

Rusty_Hooks
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Thats a perfect perch! :D
Throw him out for halibut or striper bait!! ;D
(A buddy of mine once showed me how those little shiners taste DEEP-FRYED! MMM-MMM- GGOOOOOOOODD!)

Placed in the right spot...that perch would make a ling cod VERY happy!! ::)

Keep it up...at least your getting out to fish ;)

wading2fish
08-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah, when I caught that shiner I had two thoughts go thru my head immediately. One, I could keep him and if I catch a few more I could have a nice dinner of fried perch and steamed veggies (which I have had before and fried perch are good). But I caught him later in the day and I was thinking of getting going soon. So then I thought, maybe I could attach him to a double hook rig and see if a ling, rockfish, or maybe even a striper would inhale him. By then the winds were really whippin and I knew I would be going home soon so I threw him back to fight another day.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey MB,
I know it's a rinky dink :-[, but I am going thru somewhat of a drought, haven't caught anything worth keeping for some time now. That little guy, well I knew I would probably get a few laughs out of some sniffers for posting that but it's all I caught and talk is cheap. I've been out trying to catch perch and stripers, but because of kids and work it's been hard puttin in some serious fishing time and I just learned how to post pics recently so anything I catch from now on I would like to post ;). I have caught some nice red tails out of Rockaway before but I don't have any pics to prove it.

w2f
no man I was seriouse I would be proud and posting pic if I got that fish. Its hard to pull anything off the surf. (well for me anyways) I think it is great and I hope you keep posting pic. even the small ones. I know I do ;)

wading2fish
08-17-2005, 07:32 AM
MB,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm gonna try to make it out again next weekend, maybe Sunday. There are nice perch out there in that surf, I have caught nice size red tails with pile worms before. I like fishing with grubs better though, it's pretty exciting feeling the bite as you're working that little grub thru the surf.

w2f

Rock_Hopper
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
I went out to Salmon Creek in Bodega on Monday and all I got were a bunch of walleye perch, (about the same size as the walleye W2F posted) and one single redtail.

Surf was pretty rough and I was having some technical difficulties with my equipment. (Read - I dropped my reel in the sand).

MB_Kevin
08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
W2F PM me on sat if you are going to go on Sunday maybe Ill stop by and make a few casts. Ive been really bussy lately so I'm not sure If I can but I need to get out and catch some fish ;)

wading2fish
08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Will do.

w2f

Castalot
08-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Just thought i would ask you perch fisherman how i could catch larger pearch,i am using Kalins 1 1/2" perch power grubs and yesterday caught 10 fish in about an hour but none over 7 inches,should i use larger grubs or hooks?

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 08:04 AM
All the bigger perch I have caught have been on bait, pile worms and grass shrimp. But then again, I just started fishing for them with grubs. I think Rockhopper would be a better man to answer your question.

w2f

Hiking-Jay
08-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Sometimes the little ones are all there is. But, I generally find that when I use a longer leader, I not only catch a few more fish, but often they are a bit bigger. My preferred leader length is about 30"

ken_fishnfool
08-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Also I've noticed that the bigger ones tend to be in the bigger wave wash. If all you're catching is small ones, look for a bigger break, a deeper hole or channel, and you might start getting into some more size.
On flat beaches with 4 or 5 breaks I find the bigger ones out far in the biggest, or first, break (except top of high tide) so I start throwing way out and work it in.
On steeper beaches with a shore break I find the little ones further out and the big ones right in the wash (white foamy water) right at my feet.
Hope this helps some! :D

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Sure does! I have caught perch before on bait. But with the help of sniffers contributing to this thread I have learned to fish for them with grubs and landed my first grub perch last weekend! :D I have been using an 18" leader and now I will try a 30" and pay more attention to the areas I'm fishing. I'm still looking for Amber Hologram and Perch Power Kalin's grubs that Rockhopper recommended. Looked online, sporting goods stores, bait stores etc. but can't find any >:(

w2f

Rusty_Hooks
08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Try a piece of peeled, raw shrimp...you only need a small chunk.....right in the surf boil.....like ken said..

If you can find a wave break into rocks...shallow but into rocks where the water changes direction rapidly...

just drop that puppy into the mess.... ;)

I was surprised the first time :o

Hope you are too!!

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 12:43 PM
What did ya catch?

Rock_Hopper
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I got my grubs from the dive shop in Petaluma. I can't find them on-line anywhere, either. All I could find on-line was 3" grubs, not the 1.5". So I went back to Petaluma and cleaned them out of every pack of Amber Hologram and Perch Power grubs they had!

As far as targetting bigger fish - I'm not sure. I just started grubbing myself. You could try using bigger grubs. I know a lot of people do use those 3" grubs, but those seem awefully big to me. I usually keep moving down the beach 'til I start getting bites. If they're walleye perch bites I stay awhile to catch a few fish and shake the skunk, but then I'll keep moving looking for the big boys.

However, I've had days where the big redtails were mixed right in with the walleyes and even some calicos, so I'm not sure whether it's better to move off of a big school of walleyes or just try to fish through them.

Other grubs that might be easier to find are:
Motor Oil Red Flake
Motor Oil Green Flake
Motor Oil Gold Flake
Pumpkinseed
Watermelon Seed

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Last week I caught that walleye on a Pink Champagne. I also picked up a bag of Kalin's clear with flakes that looked pretty good and also a bag of Berkely Power grubs in firetiger color that looked pretty cool. If I can make it out next weekend I'll give those colors a try as well.

w2f

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Those red tails are nice looking perch and alot bigger than those walleyes.

w2f

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/6776/redtail7sg.jpg

Red Tail perch. These can reach 3 lbs! :o

w2f

Castalot
08-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Kalins grubs: Try Hi's tacklebox in S.F.,I got some thier this week.

wading2fish
08-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Hi's has a good selection of everything. Will try to go by there tomorrow and maybe checkout Gus's, there not too far from Hi's.

w2f

wading2fish
08-20-2005, 07:34 PM
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2596/jacksmelt00224nu.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/7991/jacksmelt00122kd.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/2156/jacksmelt00323ej.jpg

Hit Poplar beach today. Went grubbing for perch, but I walked right up to a thick school of jacksmelt. On my third cast I started getting into em. I caught about 15 all together, after the first three I stopped taking pics. The smelt action was nonstop for the first hour or so then slowed up. Didn't hook a single perch. As usual my striper gear was ready to go. Thru out the day the birds were diving all over the place. When they started diving I grabbed my striper gear and started casting. Threw everything in may arsenal but no takers >:(. Grubs were Berkeley Bait Power Grubs in Firetiger color, smelt loved em but no perch :-/.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
That looks cool. I would be happy catching anything from the surf. It seems cool. Ive only managed one striper and a few sand crabs.

pulseczar
08-22-2005, 09:04 AM
don't know if you C&R'd the smelt, but there's a new rule saying that there's a limit of 10 of the same species, 20 fish total.

Nice lookin' fish. Congrats.

wading2fish
08-22-2005, 06:21 PM
C&R'd all the smelt. I have never eaten smelt, if I had a recipe for them and if they are any good I might try em one day. I should of threw one out as live bait also, I think that's legal, right?

fathom
08-22-2005, 07:07 PM
don't know if you C&R'd the smelt, but there's a new rule saying that there's a limit of 10 of the same species, 20 fish total.

Nice lookin' fish. Congrats.

In section 27.60(D) it states thereis no limits on these fish.

wading2fish
08-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I thought I had read that one time but was not sure. Those regs sometimes leave me more confused than I was before reading them ???. Thanks for pointing that out fathom.

w2f

KauaiBoy23
08-24-2005, 08:15 AM
;D Hey W2F try the Santa Cruz beaches all the way down to Monterey. Lots of flat sandy beaches down there that harbor nice big Barred Surf Perch. Grubs work well down there as well as bait. When using bait, sand crabs are number 1, then comes Blood Worms. See you down there sometime.

ken_fishnfool
08-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Especially Sunset beach in September. That's where the BIG barred perch come in. Can you say 3 to 4 pounds! :o

KauaiBoy23
08-24-2005, 09:32 AM
;D You too KFF? See you there during the next few months for the big ones.

Rock_Hopper
08-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Man, a 3 or 4lb surfperch would be nice! I've caught striped perch over 2lbs, but that was soaking bait for 'em from a cliff-side in a fairly protected cove. Pulling in a monster like that from the surf would be something else!

Here's my largest surf caught perch from my recently acquired grub addiction. It was just short of 16" but, surprisingly, fought less than a 10"er I caught earlier in the day.

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/images/dsc01890.jpg

KauaiBoy23
08-24-2005, 12:30 PM
:o Wow! That's a fine Red Tail Rock Hopper! If you're ever down south, try the Santa Cruz area for the Barred variety. My wife and I have had many productive days in that area over the years. Lots of long stretches of beaches that the Barred variety like and lots of sand crabs. I had one day where I caught 5 Barred Perch as big and bigger than the Red Tail in your picture. See you down there sometime. ;D

Rock_Hopper
08-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks!

Here's one last pic! ;)

This is the second largest perch I've ever caught. She was VERY pregnant so I had a quick picture taken and let her go. It was definitely bigger than a 16"er I measured the day before, and I estimate 2.5lbs. Unfortunately she was caught while fishing for rockfish from shore, so it wasn't much of a fight on a 10' pole and 20lb test!

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/images/dsc01620.jpg

KauaiBoy23
08-24-2005, 02:37 PM
:o Beautiful Striped Sea Perch! Glad to hear you let her go to replenish the species! I've caught a few of those fishing rocky areas, but never one that big. Way to go! I used a 9' Steelhead rod on 10 lb test rigged with sand crabs to catch the Barred Perch I mentioned in my last post. I thought I had a small Striper on, when I hooked the biggest one I caught, as it was taking my line back and forth parallel to the beach. It was a heck of a lot of fun that day. I'll never forget it! You've posted quite a few nice fish pictures on this forum Rock Hopper. I have pictures of those perch but I'm old school, so I still use those cheap Kodak cameras that you turn in to develop for my fishing pictures. See you out there someday. We do about 95% of our surf fishing in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area. ;D

wading2fish
08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Those are some nice perch 'Hopper! Kauaiboy and Kenfishinfool thanks for all the advice and tips. Love the Sniffer! Looks like I have plans for the fall months now. And here I was feeling bummed out because the surf striper season is winding down and yes, I've been skunked all year >:(. Now I feel all excited about fall perch fishing down south. Of course I'll be hitting the delta for cats and stripers as well but those monster perch down south is all I can think about right now. Kauaiboy, I will post a pic of myself here pretty soon so when I go down south maybe you'll recocgnize. Again thanks a mill guys. 8)

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Those are some nice looking fish rock hopper. thanks for the posts. makes me feel a little better about stiper season coming to an end. :-/ ;D now I need to get some surf perch. I did at least get one surf striper this season.

KauaiBoy23
08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
;D Me too MB. I caught 2 in early June at Mori's. That was it. :( Didn't catch any more even though I was out there every weekend and sometimes during the week nights in June and July. Surf Perch fishing is a lot of fun because of the more frequent action. See you on the surf sometime in the next few months.

ken_fishnfool
08-25-2005, 09:09 AM
MB there is some pretty good surf perch right there in Pacifica. It should be getting better biggining next month.
Try it, you'll like it! :)

wading2fish
08-25-2005, 10:40 AM
kff is right. There are some good perch in Pacifica. I have caught redtails similar to the one Rockhopper posted on pile worms right there in Rockaway. Unfortunately that was way before I was familiar with the Fishsniffer and before I was in the habit of taking pics of my catches.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-25-2005, 09:32 PM
cool im going to get some this year. pile worm or sand crabs or grubs I guess. ;)

ChUbBz
08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
hell ya go to pacific pier!! ;D

pulper80
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I studied the regs tonight and will try to simplify it:

No bag limit or size limit on SHINER Perch (ie keep as small size and as many as you want)

THE ONLY SIZE limit on all varieties of surf perch is a 10.5 inch minimum size on Red Tail Perch.

You can only keep 5 surf perch. Total. Doesn't matter what kind of surf perch they are, just keep 5 total when you go to cook them. (And here's where DFG is infamous...) EXCEPT shiner surfperch, these don't count toward your 5 surfperch total)

Correct me if I'm wrong, applaud me if I'm right, its just hard to keep saltwater fishing regs straight - especially if you've been fishing freshwater for 13 yrs until now like me. However this isn't nearly as difficult as the Rockcod technicalities! :o :o :o

surf_fisher
09-03-2005, 01:44 AM
in the special limits you can only have up to 20 shiner perch. under 27.60 subsection c

wading2fish
09-03-2005, 09:39 AM
I studied the regs tonight and will try to simplify it:

No bag limit or size limit on SHINER Perch (ie keep as small size and as many as you want)

THE ONLY SIZE limit on all varieties of surf perch is a 10.5 inch minimum size on Red Tail Perch.

You can only keep 5 surf perch. *Total. *Doesn't matter what kind of surf perch they are, just keep 5 total when you go to cook them. *(And here's where DFG is infamous...) EXCEPT shiner surfperch, these don't count toward your 5 surfperch total)

Correct me if I'm wrong, applaud me if I'm right, its just hard to keep saltwater fishing regs straight - especially if you've been fishing freshwater for 13 yrs until now like me. *However this isn't nearly as difficult as the Rockcod technicalities! *:o :o :o

Applause, applause. That's my interpretation of the regs also Pulper. Since I don't ever plan on keeping more than 20 shiners I'm not really worried about that part.

w2f

godson
09-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Applause, applause. That's my interpretation of the regs also Pulper. Since I don't ever plan on keeping more than 20 shiners I'm not really worried about that part.

w2f

also just a reminder you can't fish for any perch inside the bay. Careful when using sand crabs the regs say you can only have 50 pieces at one time. If you use sand crabs try to find the softshell, they work the best.

pulper80
09-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Hehehehe, yea I laughed at that when I read that line in the book:

Sand Crabs, limit: 50.

HAHAHA awww man I got busted for too many sandcrabs! ;D

godson, what is a "softshell" sandcrab? The only ones I have dug up have all had a hard shell. Is it a different species, or is it just when they are molting or something?

pinfish
09-04-2005, 01:25 PM
You can fish for perch inside the SF Bay starting Aug 1 to ___I forgot...

pinfish
09-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Any good Surf perch grubbing spots in San Diego?

Fisherman
09-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Heres a few 1 i caught off a pier on live bait

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=130162&anum=7541

this one i caught off portuguese beach (sp) on clams. I dont know why it was bleeding.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=122952&anum=7541

pulper80
09-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Beautiful striped perch, I have not yet caught that species but would love to.

Rock_Hopper
09-06-2005, 07:21 AM
The "rainbow" perch in the picture is a striped perch.

The bleeding perch is a calico.

Anyone know what happened to my post with all the perch pictured in it?

pulper80
09-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Yes, it is on page 1 of the Cleaning\Cooking Surf Perch thread:

url]http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=west;action=display;num=1125595829;s tart=[/url]

pulper80
09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Oops, screwed up the link:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=west;action=display;num=1125595829;s tart=

Rock_Hopper
09-06-2005, 07:50 AM
D'oh! Thanks, Pulper. For some reason I thought that was this thread and that they got deleted...lol.

Redwine
09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Was up at Sea Ranch last weekend, and had a chance to do a little fishing from the cliffs.
Caught four big striped sea perch, all in the 12-14" size range.
Was using a 12' Sealine-X surf fishing rod (keeps fish away from the cliff while reeling up)and my good old Daiwa Emcastplus with 20lb line.
Was using 20lb, 36" surf leader with two dropper loops and size 4 snelled hooks w/7" leaders.
All I had for bait was squid, so I put a 4" piece of strip bait on each hook.
The perch took to it like a baby to a nipple, LOL!

I fished the last hour of the incoming tide, and caught all four perch within 45 minutes.

That night we took the filets and dipped them in milk, then flour, then an egg wash and then in Progresso plain bread crums. Heated a skillet over mediun-high heat and add butter and olive oil.
Cook each side for 3 minutes and served with wild rice and a good bottle of Chardonnay.

A great day of fishing followed by a awesome meal and sunset!

Redwine
09-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Forgot to mention that I was using tobacco pouchs filled with gravel & sand for weights.

KauaiBoy23
09-07-2005, 06:08 AM
;)P80, look for the sand crabs with orange eggs. You'll get the big boys with them. :)

panfisher
09-12-2005, 02:42 PM
can you catch perch anytime of the year or just certain seasons like perch in the lakes?

ken_fishnfool
09-12-2005, 02:51 PM
All year round (in the surf). I have noticed that there are certain times the quality (size) goes way up. That's when I fish for them.