PDA

View Full Version : GG report 9/8/5

gmdcdvm
09-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Went out yesterday on a live bait Pot Luck trip out of Emeryville on the Captain Hook. Mike was the captain and Rudy was the deck hand.
Short story: Great Crew, Great fishing.
Long story...
We headed out to the Islands. The weather was slightly overcast, with minial wind and light swells.

We started off catching sand dabs to use a bait for ling cod fishing later on. I kept two good size dabs which I ate later that evening (very tasty I might add).
After making bait we moved a little north of the island and started rock cod fishing. The rock cod fishing was great as always, and we had easy limits within 30 minutes of very good size blues and olives, and the occasional odd ball. We were using shrimp fly rigs and 8oz weights. Mike had instructed us to drop our lines for 10 to 15 seconds. It was during this time that I caught my big ling cod. I had just let my line down about 20 seconds when my rod gets bent straight down. At first the deckhand, Rudy, thought I might be caught on the bottom. I mentioned I didn't go down that far, and it appeared I was able to gain some line on the fish. After a few seconds of trying to wide in he finally starts shaking his head and coming up slowly. Got him to the boat, and Rudy was quick with the gaff. At first I thought he might have hitch hiked in, but turns out he just went after the shrimp fly. This one ended up being the biggest of the day for me.

After getting close to limits on rock fish we moved a little further north and started ling cod fishing. Overall the bite was very good, but not quite wide open. We probably were catching between 3 and 5 lings per drift with one hanging probably every 5 to 10 minues. There were about 15 anglers on board, and we limited out on lings by 1:30pm. There were several fish lost today as well. Ended up back at the dock by 3:45pm with a sack of fish. The jack pot fish was probably close to 20lb's. I ended up with 4 lings. The biggest caught on the shrimp fly, and the rest using sand dabs. Basically I caught my biggest fish first, and then went down in size gradually to the smallest one you see in the pictures.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/577/medium/IMG_0928_1_1_1.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/577/medium/IMG_0929_2_1.JPG

The captain and crew were great as always. I have never been disappointed fishing out of Emmeryville on the various boats. I highly recommend any of these boats but the Captain Hook and Salmon Queen are my personal favorites.

TahoeJeff
09-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Jefe,
Great looking Lings! But, correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to stir up s*%$, isn't the limit 2 on Lings?

grammar_police
09-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Jeff,
You are correct. I'm hoping he had a partner with him and donated his other two legals to him/her!

Jefe,

Nice haul man! I've had similar results SWLT fishing for lings and rock fish.

gmdcdvm
09-09-2005, 09:00 PM
You guys are right, the limit is 2 per person. But, they have boat limits. We had 15 anglers and the captain said to keep fishing until we had limits for the boat. I basically caught two extra for the poor guy who got sick and slept the day away in the cabin.

Collegebound
09-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Good job! I need to do some rockfishing. i just wish the islands were closer to us. I hate the 2 hour runs each way.
on labor day, someone on the captain hook caught a tiger rockfish. thats something you dont see around here very often.
Mike

pulper80
09-10-2005, 07:51 AM
"poor guy who got sick and slept the day away in the cabin"

That was me on my first ever charter out for rockfish, 9 foot swells and I was about 13 yrs old >:(

gmdcdvm
09-10-2005, 05:42 PM
I heard about the tiger fish from one of the regulars. Said they didn't kill it. They put it in the bait tank, but he wasn't sure what they did with it afterwards. Might have taken it home to get it stuffed.

put_em_back
09-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Lings seem to really love sand dabs. First you catch the poor guys, then you hook em up and drop em back down. When you get a hit and miss, when you bring the dab back up, they sure are messed up. Fins all torn up with GIANT teeth marks. Must be kind of terrifying getting eaten and the dragged back up.....and then put back out down to do it all over again.

We used to catch live squid and sand dabs out of Monterey and the sand dabs always seemed to work better. And like EJC said, keep a couple of the larger dabs and fry them up. They are really tasty and easy to cook.

gmdcdvm
09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I think next time I will try to keep a few bigger dabs. Of all the fish I caught those were the ones I ate that night at home. Tasty little guys, and like you mentioned easy to cook. The one we were catching were between 4in and 8in. The two I kept for myself were about 12in. If we had caught any more larger ones I would have kept them, especially since there is no limit on these guys. Guess I'll just have to go out again.