PDA

View Full Version : S.F. Bay/WhereTo Launch?

Klamdog
09-09-2005, 09:52 PM
I've been reading that the halibut catch is still fairly good out in S.F bay/around Alcatraz. I've never fished the bay. Where's a good spot to launch. I'm coming from Concord. Thanks.

triggerfish
09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
klamdog,you are on the wrong board,you should be in the general saltwater board. Anyways I launch out of berkley,they have a bait reciever,and a nice ramp,and it still costs 5 bucks.

CORN
09-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Coming from Concord and going for halibut : launch out of Berkeley and fish the Berkeley flats with live bait.

Klamdog
09-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Corn,
Thanks, it sounds like Berkeley is the place to launch. What kind of depth am I looking at in the flats?
Coming from Concord and going for halibut : launch out of Berkeley and fish the Berkeley flats with live bait.

SEEKER
09-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Looks like the general board to me klamdog. I would have to agree with the Berkely Ramp Will be headed out tomorrow from there. But fishing just out of the bay for salmon. Best of luck TIGHT LINES, Rich

blue_chrush
09-10-2005, 04:40 PM
if you plan to fish alcatraz be careful....
the rips and currents are big....
and not knowing how big your boat is be careful..
my 20ftr has had days that were a no go on the bay.
short big swells and big wind....
this time of year should start getting better as the
fog line should go away, and the water calm down...
just be warned it can be a very dangerous out there...

Klamdog
09-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Blue Crush,
Wow, you've got me worried! I have a 15' Klamath, and go out to Bodega Bay Often. I've never had a worry out there. I didn't think it would be much different?
if you plan to fish alcatraz be careful....
the rips and currents are big....
and not knowing how big your boat is be careful..
my 20ftr has had days that were a no go on the bay.
short big swells and big wind....
this time of year should start getting better as the
fog line should go away, and the water calm down...
just be warned it can be a very dangerous out there...

triggerfish
09-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Duhhh! correct board.I guess i was posting before the coffee was ready. :)

Hooky_Time
09-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I have a 16 foot Gregor and want to fish the Bay tomorrow because of the wind at Bodega. Would it be better to launch in Sausalito instead of Berkeley to avoid the rough ride across the bay in the afternoon? I think there isn't any more live bait available in Sausalito...only downside I see. What do you guys think?

triggerfish
09-10-2005, 07:48 PM
you can surf in accross the bay. Its not bad.

SEEKER
09-10-2005, 08:44 PM
LOL Trigger. Just started the coffee now to keep me going the rest of the night. @ more rods to finish up before my GG departure. Best of luck with the butts. TIGHT LINES, Rich

CORN
09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
The bay can get real rough because of the wind chop ... especially between the Golden Gate and Berkeley. That's why some people like the wind protected areas like Paradise Cay.

Klamdog, I don't fish for halibut much. I just know that the Berkeley flats, Southhampton Shoal, Crissy Field, the west side of Angel Island and Paradise Cay are good halibut spots.

I believe Kenfishnfool had a detailed post somewhere on this board about what areas to target in the Berkeley flats area for halibut. Look for his post. Or look for ledges and dropoffs around 15-25 feet? Watch "Hooked on Fishing the Golden Gate" video. They also tell you where to go. Good luck.

Hooky_Time
09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks trigger...that's quite a way to put it ;D...but accurate...especially in my boat. Besides, nothing like that live bait to trigger the bite.