PDA

View Full Version : Great Day At Hastings Is Pheasant Hunting

Waterdog
11-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Weather not good for duck hunting so I went to my pheasant club Hastings Island. My lab Sprig and I had a great time. He put up 8 birds and I came home with 4 . I shot at 6 and missed 2 easy shots. Sprig performed flawlessly , worked close, responded immediately to my whistle, excellent marking and delivered all to hand. He is an awesome dog. Had a nice breakfast at the clubs and a great shoot. Took Sprig to the delta ( on club property) after the hunt and threw bumpers for him dozens and dozens of times (water retrieves are his favorite pass time) and then drove home listening to our favorite country western music. Got 2 pheasants being brined for the smoker and another 2 soaking in marinade for the grill a little later. Kicken it with a glass of my favorite Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey with Sprig sound asleep on his bed next to my chair. It was just a perfect day. Now if we can just get some weather to get dem ducks movin.

monkey916
11-09-2013, 03:42 PM
waterdog: curious if your lab points?...my brothers chocolate points if the birds hold...

Waterdog
11-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Sprig doesn't point but I had a lab several years ago that did. It is not uncommon for labs to naturally point pheasants after 3 or so years of age. My prior lab just started pointing about age 3 or so. My dog Sprig hunts close and when he gets a scent you can tell immediately. He is an easy dog to hunt over. Best dog I ever had hunting wise and personality wise and most affectionate. You can tell I am high on this dog.

monkey916
11-09-2013, 05:59 PM
thanks for the post...all fired up now...your into your dog just as i was...had to put my shorthair down a month before last pheasant season...haven't got another yet...soon though...nothing like walking up to a dog on point and that rooster still scares the crap outta you... even though you know he's there...fun times...fun times!!!!:krzyhunter4ez:

Waterdog
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I have had to put a few of my hunting partners and best (dog) friends down, I know your pain. Nothing like a new pup to lift your spirits