PDA

View Full Version : Capitola Skiff fishing

catfish32
08-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Heading to Capitola Friday to rent a boat and go out for Halibut and rockfish. Anyone have any suggestions on bait, techniques, etc. I haven't fished there for several years, but I recall dead squid and swimbaits to work well for both the lingcod and Halibut. Thanks for any Help!

Rusty_Hooks
08-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Catfish...Welcome to the boards..

There are several people here from SC and that area...

Blue crush for one and Allfish, the moderator on the trout board has been down there recently with some pretty good results.

squid, jigs, shrimp fly rigs, some of the new swim baits, and hex bars will all do well for you.

If you can get some live bait for the halibut you will have better luck ;)

blue_chrush
08-10-2005, 10:05 PM
straight out in front of the capitola pier in 50/60ft..
or head north along the kelp beds and where you see a
2 houses on the cliff right around 36/38th ave about
50/100yds out side the kelp is a halibut honey hole...
also fish the edges of the kelp to for lings and cod...
dead squid/herring is good... if its slow theres another
spot in the cove at seacliff beach where the cliff meets
the beach...this spot is south of the pier around the
corner and you fish 25/35' there...in that
corner and that is about 2/300yds off the beach....
row or drift that spot....no current in there..
theres no swell right now,its like a lake and
foggy in the am, and this weekend there is a small south
swell in the forcast but only like 3'. so it should be great....ask ed burrel for some hints too, he knows spots too. have a great time,
I'm off to shasta for kokenee.... :D

Rusty_Hooks
08-11-2005, 08:21 AM
straight out in front of the capitola pier in 50/60ft..
or head north along the kelp beds and where you see a
2 houses on the cliff right around 36/38th ave about
50/100yds out side the kelp is a halibut honey hole...
also fish the edges of the kelp to for lings and cod...
dead squid/herring is good... if its slow theres another
spot in the cove at seacliff beach where the cliff meets
the beach...this spot is south of the pier around the
corner and you fish 25/35' there...in that
corner and that is about 2/300yds off the beach....
row or drift that spot....no current in there..
theres no swell right now,its like a lake and
foggy in the am, and this weekend there is a small south
swell in the forcast but only like 3'. so it should be great....ask ed burrel for some hints too, he knows spots too. have a great time,
I'm off to shasta for kokenee.... :D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o *:o :o :oOMG :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

WOW....that's some good stuff BC...good luck at shasta

AllFishNoWork
08-11-2005, 08:43 AM
We were no threat to the fish population when we were there

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=west;action=display;num=1122881446

but we did have an excellent time. The chunks of squid seemed to be the best for getting bites, just never really knew what was going to be biting. Blue Crush seems to have the spots, we had a hard time staying north of the pier as the current was pretty strong and running the skiff at full throtlle into the waves meant getting pretty wet. Squid, shrimp flys and diamond bars was all we used. We caught flounder, rocks, kingfish(?) and mackarel. The guy launching the boats was really cool to us(he wasn't to some of the people)

Here is a pic of the rig if you have never seen 'em

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1382/capitola151nw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

catfish32
08-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks everyone for all of the great info. We will be leaving the Dock at 6:00 AM Friday and I will definately let all of you know how I do. Thanks.

Rusty_Hooks
08-11-2005, 11:33 AM
In a couple years, I haven't seen that well done a prep in so few posts....WOW

A photo of the boat rental..Honey holes for the fish...bait...lures...

and he's off to go on Friday am.....this one was too cool!!

Nice job guys...that's a real welcome!!

AllFishNoWork
08-11-2005, 01:38 PM
It's all part of the service ;D

Earlyo
08-13-2005, 10:02 AM
So how did your Friday trip go Catfish? May try my luck on Sunday if there are any skiffs available

vini-v
08-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Allfish was that capitola boat and Bait that you rented the skiff from? and only $50.00 for the day?

Earlyo
08-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Went out today on a skiff. $75 a day is the rental. Had a hard time early on finding a good spot. then around noon time found a pretty decent spot. Caught one vermillion, around 5 black cod, 3 yellows 10 mackerels between my buddy and I. We had trouble identifying the type of cod so we threw back a few keepers thinking it was a single fish type cod. When we got back into dock the boat rental had a today's catch cooler that contained a nice salmon, a nice halibut and a nice white sea bass! I wish I would have tried for salmon but oh well.

AllFishNoWork
08-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Sounds like a good day out there. Better to be safe than sorry. The party boats have better catch rates, but I enjoyed cruisin around on our own in the boat.

Vini-v here is the link. I think it was $70-75 for the day. Give them a call, they are pretty good on the phone.

http://www.santacruzboatrentals.net/index.html

vini-v
08-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah thats the website I was looking at thanks allfish that sounds better then a party boat to me, just hope a great white does'nt tip that lil boat over :o

I had bought a kayak for this very thing a few years back and then heard about a shark attach out in monterey that changed my mind and I sold it back to the guy who i bought it from.. :-/

AllFishNoWork
08-14-2005, 11:13 PM
No shark attacks on our voyage :D

Earlyo
08-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Has anyone been fishing out of Capitola lately? We are going out again this saturday and we have heard from the boat and tackle that it has been picking up. Any reports are appreciated!

blue_chrush
08-25-2005, 09:27 PM
if you have a VHF then go to 11 and call for blue crush...
if not then call me on sat...
831-419-2423.......smilin steve
I'll be out and maybe get you on some good spots..
I'll be near the mile bouy or matual bridges...
that would be like a 15/20 min boat ride north towards
the santa cruz pier and out near mile bouy...
stay in touch... ;D

went to the gas docks to catch crabs tonight and
got 6 nice red rockies for dinner.
and saw 2 boats that fished late at so.rock and had
a limits of some nice blues, acually really nice....
the other guys were above 4mile and had asst fish...

vini-v
08-26-2005, 06:33 AM
No shark attacks on our voyage :D

WHEW bet thats a relief ;D

Soon as i get my money back to where i can spend some on enjoyment i'm headed up there, lots of setbacks with $ lately, truck breaking down, cell phone bill out the roof, electricity for all this heat kills me (hey i like to be comfortable after a long days work). Things are going to even out soon.

keep updating guys.

CenCoast_Angler
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey Fisherpeeps!
I'm so excited about going fishing on Sunday! Me and some buddies are renting a boat out of SC. We did it a couple wknds ago (before I got married) and did great around natural bridges and the lighthouse. I hope my fishing skills aren't affected by the jewelery on my left hand! Haven't fished since the big day.
We'll probably be in the same area this Sunday. Gimme a hollar if you see 3 drunk guys with A's hats.
PK

Rusty_Hooks
08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Keep you hand out of the Water around Natural Bridges...

I hear the sirens of Santa Cruz are tough on newlyweds ;) ;D ;D

AllFishNoWork
08-26-2005, 09:09 PM
CCa, your hands/fingers could get slippery out there. I would n't get too tossed out there, it can be a long ride back in the skiff with an 8hp