PDA

View Full Version : let's talk sinkers....

jon_may
08-24-2005, 07:53 AM
hey all, what do ya use for live bait?what about style and weight... for halibut, striper, rockfish... i use cannonballs , mostly in the 2-4 oz size. i also use a standard bait set-up (36" leader below slider) tried the 3 way swivel and it kept getting tangled... also do you drop bait straight down, or let it out behind the boat a way?

GXC6
08-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Jon,
You're on the right track but I know what you're saying about the tangles on the 3way set up. For live bait like dines or chovys, use a sliding sinker directly on the main line ahead of a swivel for Halibut. Use just enough weight to get it down to the bottom. If a hali feels any resistance they'll spit the bait. You may want to go with a trap rig set up for the hali. 3/0 or 4/0 Gamakatzu Octopus snelled with a treble hook tied about 4 or 5 five inches away from the octopus at the end as a stinger. Hali's are known for short striking so the stinger usually gets them if they don't take the whole bait. I'm from Southern Central Area and our hali's aren't as big as what you'll catch up north so you may want to change the hook size a little. Someone else on the board may offer some helpful info regarding the hooks.

As far as the rockfish, use a standared rockfish rig (available at most any tackle store) for cut up bait. Two dropper loops with up to 1lb of lead on the end if you're rod and reel will handle it. Frozen chovies or the like will not stay on the hooks very well after they thaw out so here's what I do. Catch a couple of blues (they're easy) and filet one. Leave the skin on and cut strips about 1 inch wide and 4 or 5 inches long, depending on how big the blue is. The skin is tough as leather and it won't get pulled off the hooks. These fish are cannibals and have no problem attacking there own. Remember though. The fish you cut up for bait is to be included in your limit, but one blue rockfish (4 strips of bait) will last for hours of fishing. Drop the hook straight down and fast to the bottom and just jig up and down keeping contact with the bottom with your weight. Send it quickly to avoid catching the smaller blues on the way down. The big ones are on the bottom. This is a sure way of catching rockfish but I would always bring some soft plastic swim baits about 5 to 6 inches long with heavy lead heads. I like one color called "rainbow trout" the lings love it. There are many many colors. If the wind is calm, these work very well for catching bigger fish. Some guys swear by the chrome metal diamond jigs. Check those out too. They're suppose to be deadly for the Lingcod.

Well this turned out to be quite the post, I'll be quiet now. Have a blast and good luck
PismoG

ZACK
08-24-2005, 01:30 PM
That is a lot of info. Very interesting. We fish Halibut a little different up here though. The sliding sinker thing would work but the 3 way set up comes in handy when drifting over rock piles with cigar shaped weights like you would for strippers and rock fish. The line and the knot I use from the 3 way swivel to the weight snap is usually much lighter and the knot is usually a couple of granny knots in case I get hung up in the rocks I will lose my weight and nothing more. I also use 10 lb test braided line and for my leader I use 30lb mono with a live bait loop on the hook to allow it to move much more freely so my bait fish can swim better. I use owner octopus 2/0 hooks red. Any larger than this is unnecessary. The larger the hook the larger the diameter of the hook making it that much harder to drive home. Even with Sturgeon I never use anything larger than a 6/0. Your line when drifting should be as vertical as possible reeling in excess when climbing up drop offs so you do not drag your weight and get hung up and also so you can keep fishing when someone on the boat hooks up. It also makes it much easier to weave your rod through other lines when fighting a fish. If your drifting on sandy beaches or flats you can drag it a little but don’t go crazy. A trailer hook is OK but I wouldn’t use anything larger than a 1/0 single hook. A treble will pick up crass and other crap. I personally would just use a single hook through the nose so your bait will swim better. When you get a tap tap point your rod toward the fish and slowly count to five and lift firmly but do not yank and you’ll feel the weight of the fish and its FISH ON!

That will give your butt time to eat from the tail up to the hook. ZACK!http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/7517/fishpics8ne.th.jpg (http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fishpics8ne.jpg)

jon_may
08-24-2005, 03:07 PM
man, i gotta go fishing with you guys.... nice 'butts!! ;D