PDA

View Full Version : Melones 12/17/13

Marv
12-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Short and sweet, action was so fast I didn't take one pic. Doug may have gotten a couple of his brown. We did do some go pro but that takes time to edit.

Tuttletown is on fire!!!!! If you have never caught a trout or if you have wanted to take the kids- go now!!!

I used every lure I had, not because lack of bites, lol. Whatever you are threw got hit almost every cast. All planted but there are some fat boys, I lost a couple pounder @ the bank. Its packed too, every single person caught multiple fish. Guys would launch their boat and never leave, haha.

Got to meet Solimes and Cb101(sp) today, great meeting you guys it was fun fishing with you solimes. Thanks for the rum :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PapaGreg
12-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Marv, saw the same thing happen Sunday, guys launched their boats and were waiting for their buddy to come back after parking, I am not kidding, saw at least two guys catch 7 fish each while they were waiting!!!!!!!!

If you have kids, take them to Melones!!!!!!

Damn, if I knew RNF was going to be there today, I would have met him to check out that lamiglas rod he has for sale.

sollimes
12-17-2013, 08:35 PM
It's was fun fishing with you and RNF. I'm sure between 3 of us we must have C&R 80+?
sorry had to cut it short had an invite to the Dubs game. Hopefully we can set something up soon chasing those BIG hold overs.

rsd
12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
couple of questions guys. where is the boat launch located? whats the best way to get there from antioch? are the boats being inspected there? thanks for any info

RideNfish
12-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Damn, if I knew RNF was going to be there today, I would have met him to check out that lamiglas rod he has for sale.

That's a bass rod you nut. Didn't bring it with me. But I did bring a spinning Fenwick Techna that I might sell. Very expensive rod.

couple of questions guys. where is the boat launch located? whats the best way to get there from antioch? are the boats being inspected there? thanks for any info

Rsd, just google directions. The green arrow here is where we were (approx) http://goo.gl/maps/xURuR Right click the red arrow and select "Directions to here". The water level in this satellite view is when the lake is full. You have to drive way down to the boat ramp and fish the area the boats launch. Either side is fine. This is NOT a secret hole. I don't give away special places but this is a fun one while it last.

PLEASE RELEASE browns folks. I'm just asking....

Had a great time with Marv and Sollimes. Then Cb (Craig) shows up and it was a party! Well not really but Sollimes did have rum to share. Good stuff too!

Caught tons of fish with most not being special so no pics. But Theo helped me out and took a pic of my stubby fat brown. He hit a rapala. The wooly buggers behind a casting bubble did well too.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%202013/IMG_1592.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/ScreaminRK/media/Fishing%202013/IMG_1592.jpg.html)

Lucky Lund
12-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Sounds like you guys had a ball, congrats on a fun day.

Steve079
12-17-2013, 09:45 PM
that pic of Ride holding his brown, looks like you were fishing some High Desert lake. What you have been experiencing here at Melones, has been a recurring phenomena for some time now. It amazes me how fast it goes from a few locals, to near shoulder to shoulder, and everybody is catching fish. Plus, there is a lot more shoreline available to boot.
That's what they put them in here for, and the wily ones survive to be the big holdovers we love to chase. Kind of a Calaveras County Darwin Award program for trout. lol.

clb101
12-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Yeah it is as hot as reported.. I had a hard time leaving the ramp area as there were a wad of trout hanging around in the ramp itself. ha But i wanted to troll for some larger trout. I used a shad colored excel with 2 colors of leadcore and CR 10 fish, big fish was 19 in. But the party was def. back at the ramp... ha Hey nice to finally meet a couple more sniffers, Marv and Sollimes. We have to get a trip together. Sol thanks for the rum... RNF man you guys had them in a crossfire... clb

sollimes
12-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Doug caught that Brown on Mars...lol

RideNfish
12-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Doug caught that Brown on Mars...lol

After Steve mentioned the "desert" looking background I looked again and I thought it looked like Mars too! I should of photoshopped the Mars Rover in the background. ha

Marv
12-18-2013, 09:58 AM
At the end I was tossing a wad of power bait and fishing it on water bobber reeling it in just like a wooly bugger haha. Might talk my bro in law to going with my 2 oldest boy and let them go nuts while I fish big hammer trout swimbaits for a giant bow/brown/bass :) I know some big boys are in there chowing down.

PapaGreg
12-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Just got home from NM, it's still HOT!!!!!!!! Marv you're right, there are some BIG ones cruising in there, getting them to bite is tough.:foottap: I did get one brown around 2 pounds, he went back in to grow-up!!!!!

Fisherman209
12-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Sounds like I need to pay this lake a visit. Probably going to fish TT since that sounds like the hot spot. Any specific time frame or were you guys knocking them dead all day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

RideNfish
12-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Sounds like I need to pay this lake a visit. Probably going to fish TT since that sounds like the hot spot. Any specific time frame or were you guys knocking them dead all day?

Doesn't matter what time. It is only hot cause the cove is plugged with planters. Granted Melones planters are pretty nice. You will have a chance of some nicer fish as well. The lake bite is slow right now due to no rain to get the stream flowing and bring up the holdovers. I really wish they wouldn't of planted the way they did this year. Stringer after stringers are being yanked out which means less holdovers next year. They should just space out the plantings and that also gives a longer time frame of a good bite for people instead of just one super hot week.

Go have a good time and report back.
Cheers,

BigUnInDaBoat
12-19-2013, 08:43 AM
very slow from 3:30-sunset, fish jumping everywhere, threw everything I nailed them on 2 days ago. only caught 1, other guys were doing about the same. Pretty amazed to see so many people fishing off the docks, some old guy was literally laying on the dock targeting the fish cruising around it. Saw him leave with only 3-4. Two guys next to me seems to have 4-5 fish total. I understand it is meat fishing but the lack of respect is pretty sickening.

PS if you are the guy in the high end bass boat that decided to park in front of me and my daughter (who's 4) and toss lures when you have the whole damned cove, I just want to say you're a dick. All I wanted is the kid to catch some fish, moral-less jerks like you can really make it not fun for kids.

BUIDB

Marv
12-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Plenty of those fish will leave and not be caught. I could see several schools with about 100 fish in each school. I would cast into them and 1 would go for it sometimes. Most were skittish, the dumb or hungry ones got caught. If I could see several hundred fish - just think how many I didn't see or already left the planting area.

Please remember if you are going to catch and release 100 fish to not be a caveman while handling them. A guy that catches 50 fish and c&r's all of them but mishandles the fish is x10 worse than a guy that puts 5 on the stringer. Unhook get a pic of the nicer ones and release. Smaller guys not worthy of a pic should be released with forceps while the fish is still in the water.

Sorry not preaching or speaking to anyone directly. I must have seen 20+ c&r fish floating or lying on the bottom belly up.

Not staring a c&r vs. keeping. If your gonna keep then keep, don't cull fish and toss back a fish that has already been strung up.

PapaGreg
12-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Well said, Marv. I saw LOTS of dead fish yesterday. Sunday there were several people THROWING the fish up in the air, after taking them off the hook while wrapping them in a rag, jeez!:sam9fj:

Steve0, I remember the "locals" gathering there from time to time, used to be 3-4 of us that would happen upon each other and fish together and bs, rain or shine! Damn, I hate to remember how long I've been fishing there. It's been so long, I can even remember when Melones had water in it!!!!!:horn:

RideNfish
12-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Didn't know if this should be post as a new thread. Made a little video of the hook ups. No need to show the fish being landed much. Just planters but a lot of fun.

The lake fishing is slow but this cove is choked full due to over planting in one locations to fast. Sad really. But we C&R with barbless hooks. Marv did keep three for dinner.

http://youtu.be/MI37d1DwH0M

Katch
12-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Nice video

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sollimes
12-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Awesome vid Doug! That was funny how Marv try to put that little fish on the stringer and ditto on my hookset lol....
Going this Sunday dragging the boat this time and head out to the flats and coves looking for the famous Melones bows..

Marv
12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Yeah cool video! Solimes and his Bill Dance hook set :) that little fish that escaped the stringer was playing dead till he seen the stringer, lol.

Steve079
12-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Slickest video I've seen on this website, maybe you should start doing Cal's!

I got the think more then a few of these trout will escape to grow into the holdovers we love to catch.
Marv, I'm with you on the C&R practice, its sad to see the uninformed entertaining them selves at the expense of others who fish the same spots. Barbless hooks, with minimal hand contact. Seems easy enough.
When I used bait there, I fished power eggs on a #1 gammagatsu lite wire hook, barb pinched down. Caught plenty and it made for easy release if needed, but I've pretty much been a catch mine and head home kind of guy.

Oh well, your always going to have those who value their own entertainment at the expense of others. Wont make me change my ways, just as I doubt they will change theirs.

But, we can hope.