PDA

View Full Version : I need some fishing for dummies info

Sierra_hillbilly
08-05-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm a rookie to ocean fishing. My family and I are headed to dillions beach for a week to get away. Is there any decent fish I could catch from shore in that area? And If there are can you help me by telling me what kind of gear I need and how to rig up the lure or bait.
Thanks
S_h

chingolingy
08-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey hillbilly. i just got back from a weeks stay at dillons beach. depending on what you wanna catch? Bring a trout rod with small hooks like size 12 would be great for catching shiners or smelt for bait. Sinkers in ranging from split shots to heavier 1-2 oz and even some 4oz. also bring your heaviest longest rod you got.i caught two rockfish pole poking way north of the public beach. took my 12 foot surf rod and only let out about six inches of line direct hook and poked it down in between rocks hooked and lost and few but kept one nice three pound rockfish. Go during the middle to end of outgoing tide and look for deep pockets and cracks around rocks and poke down to the bottom and lift the tip just a bit off the bottom enough to feel when the fish or eel or crab bites. Or you could throw off the pier or beach with big squid with heavy gear and hope for a leopard shark. Or the best idea is to rent one of the aluminum boats and motors(125.00per day) after you catch plenty of shiners and keep em alive go out and drift the live shiners for halibuts.Need two 5 gallon buckets, one with small holes drilled all through it for good flow.. and rope 10 feet or so.and halibut gear

kromebrite
08-06-2005, 07:01 PM
I hear that it can be good leopard shark fishing around there, in Tomales bay. PM rockhopper or vito and I bet they could help you if you want to do that. That's their territory, and are very knowledgeable about shark/ray fishing.
also good info on this board if you do a search on shark fishing.

nogimmies
08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
s.hillbilly,
follow the advise of the above and go get some butts. Its hot over there now for them.
Also maybe some other Sniffers would take you out if you don't have a boat.Buy them some gas for those boats and you may get a seat or two.
Good luck---Now go Whackem
nogimmies

Sierra_hillbilly
08-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I would love to go out with some one. I've had no replies on the hitchhiker board. I have no problem helping with gas, ect.
S_h