PDA

View Full Version : Kayak fishing off Monterey... Lookin' for more...

onlyzero
07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
4 or 5 days a week, fishing from my kayak off Monterey.
Usually between Lover's Point and NPGS(Del Monte Beach) Always able to get the "Rock" fish, but lots of time spent trying to land my 1st. Halibut. Pretty sure I've had one
good "fish on", lite bites, then the big "set". Followed
by big bend, then two short, but strong and steady runs towards the bottom. Next thing I know, fish spit the hook. Trailer and all, using whole squid. A couple turns off the bottom, in 60 to 70ft. off Coast Guard Pier. I know water
needs to be 59 to 61 degrees, or better. Best when water's
clear? Should I use a flasher? Lures ? Any info. would be
cool.

Also, thought about Moss for Salmon. From my kayak, that
would be career!!! Anyone already out there? Mooching or
trolling? Guess that depends on the fish.

Heard about Santa Cruz kayak fishing tourament, what won
that? Any way to learn of these events ahead of time? Love
to do that...

Thanks,

Onlyzero

Rock_Hopper
07-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Here ya go, dude. Just about all of your questions can be answered here: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php

vini-v
07-22-2005, 04:01 PM
I was at lovers point Inn yesterday with my girl we were watching people out there kyaking guess they were fishing in the kelp bed.

I had a kyak a few years back and was planning on going out there then i heard about some shark attacks and said fergetaboutit :o

meatboat
07-22-2005, 09:46 PM
we troll flasher and hoochie and troll from coastguard to del monte. Fish sand bars outside kelp beds. Biggest on kayak was a 40lber, 4' long. 2oz jigs also work great

onlyzero
07-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Rock Hopper & Meatboat... right on, thanks for your help.
I'll post any results. Out today, almost looked like a
"red tide". Water really warm, too. At "barge" by Wharf #2,
saw LOTS of bait on surface. No luck today, but didn't work
to hard.

More questions guys, I hear clear water is better...? Makes
sense... Meatboat, how far off bottom are ya and how big a
flasher? Are you just drifting or moving at a certain pace?
(that 40lb fish must of taxed you!!!) Sounds like you know
what you're doing... "Net" or "other", to land?

I fish from an orange "Sky" kayak, rod holder mounted on front. Don't see many serious guys out there... Good to
bump into one of ya, one day.

Sharks? If we get bit, we deserve it! There's alot more
to be concerned with on the Bay than this...

Onlyzero

meatboat
07-25-2005, 06:56 PM
onlyzero,

I was pretty hard core for a couple of years. Walked the 2 mile trip to BIg sur beach from Andrew Molera, river down to the ocean then crash past the breakers. Best unfished spots around in my opion. YOu will get wet but boats can't get in the mess of kelp you can paddle over. Great hidden sand bars for halibat. Only accesable from a kayak
I have a cuda fishfinder (see's past the kelp) great for finding those reefs hidden under all that kelp.
I love spoon fishing (2 to 4 oz) Caught everything.
Rudder is a must. Had a maliba two and a tub compared to the wilderness I got now, but would never of got that big halibat in without my fishing partner in front. He had to hold in in his lap till we landed. THat was on top of 150lbs of cod.
I practiced in the surf, getting thru and surfing in for a couple of days before I went to BIg Sur.Few bruises and bumps. I was a great torist attraction. Got to have some balls (or no brains) to paddle thru a 6' breaker during a breaking wave. But this is what a serious kayaker must do. I waited for the worst ones and made my attempts.
Get a helmet, I didn't. Ouch

However, I have a boat again and have gotten lazy. It is nice to be able to fish anywhere you can carry it.
One last horror story. Left Carmel lagoon to fish the kelp beds. Great weather no swell. I wad picky so only kept 2 lb fish. Two hours latter a large swell came in 15' to 20'. No way to make it to shore. I just bobbed there for a good twenty minutes and all it did was get worse. I had to paddle all the way to around the corner and found 6' waves to surf in on. *
Have to have a net (FG),
I use a clamp to hook up to kelp and use a small floating gaff to grab it.
Watch for those harbor seals, they will jump on the boat chasing you cod.
Whales get close to. I have had them hovering under me. Bottom came up from 80' to 20'. Then a whale pops up about 50' from me. I went back in the kelp beds till he left. As soon as I was out in the deeper water he headed right back in my direction. *

onlyzero
08-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Meatboat, what do you know about "kayak" fishing tournaments? I know I missed one in Santa Cruz, last
mo.

Helmet... ya, I learned that one on Carmel River. Goggles
aren't a bad idea either.

Knock'm down Meatboat!

meatboat
08-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Never did tournaments, just would throw the kayak on top the car anytime the weather allowed and found a good launch area, anywhere.
May throw it on the boat and mooch for albacore. How much fun would that be.

Meatboat, what do you know about "kayak" fishing tournaments? I know I missed one in Santa Cruz, last
mo.

Helmet... ya, I learned that one on Carmel River. Goggles
aren't a bad idea either.

Knock'm down Meatboat!