PDA

View Full Version : Bears in CA?

Reel Fun
01-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Looks like the dog ban has had an immediate effect!!! About 1600-2000 bears are taken in CA each year. This year after the new law.....1005! About a 40-50% reduction in bears killed? I wonder if anyone considered that maybe.......just maybe ....bears will be out of control in a few years because of the new law? RF

LURKER916
01-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Of course they will.....

Well, they might go north to Oregon because we are running out water. Or to SoCal where all of our water is going.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

salmonid
01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Using dogs to hunt bears and cougars was banned up in Oregon as well. I think their numbers will continue to increase all over the west coast.

Best,

redneckpunk
01-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Any chance they can be bred or trained to eat the animal rights folks? just a thought

~RNP

LURKER916
01-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

D. Lloyd
01-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Just my opinion on bears………I guided in AK all summer where black and grizz are a huge part of our lodge. Back in March of 13' before our summer season, we received an email from AK fish and game asking if they could use our lodge to house about 10 biologists, pilots, etc for a 10 day bear "management." Our unit of 19a and 19b have some of the highest bear rates in the whole state. They wanted us to submit a proposal to house them and handle all the skinning of the bears etc and could've made quite a bit of money, but ethically I couldn't agree to it when we had clients coming up paying 10k+ for their bear hunt. They also noted on the email that they planned to shoot 120 bears in that 10 days all via helicopter. After doing a bunch of research I found the same lady quoted in an outdoorlife.com article stating that their estimate on population in this are was somewhere around 150-180 in this "test area" since this is the first year they have done this. To me that seemed crazy to shoot such a high percentage of the population, according to their numbers. They ended up with 80 black bears and 9 grizz and the locals that ended up doing all the skinning and butchering noted that every grizz and one black boar had moose calves in them. The main reasoning behind this although very political, is the decline in moose population in our units.

They tried this over the past 10 years with the wolf issues and the first year they stopped and switched to bears I saw over 20 wolves this summer where in 09 i didn't see a single one. I don't think us people recognize how many of these animals are out there that go unseen and I think limiting hunting will only hurt the animals in the long run, especially bears and wolves.

Apologize for the rant but pretty interesting how methods vary state to state, although completely understandable due to different conditions etc!

Reel Fun
01-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Using dogs to hunt bears and cougars was banned up in Oregon as well. I think their numbers will continue to increase all over the west coast.

Best,

You mean we copied another law from them?......Shocker! RF

PapaGreg
01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
You would think they would learn, first it was the mountain lion and their population has soared! We're seeing more and more of them here in the DAY time! And, speaking of bears, they are also starting to be seen more and more here in Calaveras county. Could be contributed to the drought also?

Reel Fun
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Wait 5 years and they will be hanging on trees in Rocklin! The majority of bear hunters did it to enjoy watching the dogs work.....kinda like pheasant hunters. DFW limits the amount of bears killed each year with a quota.....might as well not worry about that anymore! They will never come near the quota without dog hunters. Just another hunting pastime gone.....whats next deer & pheasants and coons? RF

salmonid
01-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Yep for the most part, let's see...

1. No snares for holding sturgeon. Check.
2. Barbless hooks only for sturgeon fishing. Check.
3. No dogs for hunting bears/cats. Check.
4. Clip all hatchery salmon (not yet, but this one makes sense!)
5. 55 mph speed limit while towing a boat (nope it originated in good ol' California).

Best,

You mean we copied another law from them?......Shocker! RF

Reel Fun
01-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Yep for the most part, let's see...

1. No snares for holding sturgeon. Check.
2. Barbless hooks only for sturgeon fishing. Check.
3. No dogs for hunting bears/cats. Check.
4. Clip all hatchery salmon (not yet, but this one makes sense!)
5. 55 mph speed limit while towing a boat (nope it originated in good ol' California).

Best,

Don't forget the "new" fork length we copied......and even the DFG's new name.....DFW was copied from Washington & Oregon. I just hope we never have to copy their CLOSED C&R ONLY STURGEON FISHING. With all those great laws in place up there I wonder how they have let that great sturgeon fishery go strait to hell??? RF

salmonid
01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Good additions, RF!

I think the sturgeon fishing is open one or two days a year now up there? Sad to see.

Here is one theory that I've read about Oregon.. Lots of people used to target salmon and steelhead, but their numbers were in decline due to dams, seals, and overharvest by sports and commercial netters. Fishing seasons were cut back or cancelled.

So lots of people with gear and time to fish, but salmonid fishing was greatly curtailed, so what to do?? Fish for sturgeon! So then the sturg population got whacked pretty hard by sportsfishers and also by commercial guys in the river. Sea lions from California also "discovered" the dino bonanza when the spawners got kegged up below the dams on the Columbia and Willamette. The population suffered and we have what is left today. Like I said, sad to see.

I'm worried about the sturg here too with the ever decreasing water flows down the Sac R. Is there enough water for them to complete their life cycle anymore? I saw one of Marty's posts about spawners needing high flows, but much of the flows get stockpiled behind dams when the fish need it most. I guess the human thinking is "don't waste the water" but the fish are adapted to free flowing river conditions, of course that has been altered pretty substantially now.

Also, did you notice that the lifetime extra fishing tags don't come with a sturgeon card? I hope that is just because not many people need it rather than that it won't be available in the future!

:bugs-01:What's up with that?

Best,

Don't forget the "new" fork length we copied......and even the DFG's new name.....DFW was copied from Washington & Oregon. I just hope we never have to copy their CLOSED C&R ONLY STURGEON FISHING. With all those great laws in place up there I wonder how they have let that great sturgeon fishery go strait to hell??? RF

outdoordude
01-12-2014, 06:57 AM
Yea well if hsus gets their way we won't be hunting in ca very much longer. They are now attacking preditor hunting and want to ban the use of dogs for all hunting, ducks, pheasant, quail, etc. Scary.

CRABBY
01-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Yea well if hsus gets their way we won't be hunting in ca very much longer. They are now attacking preditor hunting and want to ban the use of dogs for all hunting, ducks, pheasant, quail, etc. Scary.Get The Facts On HSUS (http://www.humanesocietydonations.org/hsus-facts/?gclid=COmol_3G-bsCFZSIfgodhmUAwA)

monkey916
01-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Get The Facts On HSUS (http://www.humanesocietydonations.org/hsus-facts/?gclid=COmol_3G-bsCFZSIfgodhmUAwA)
good job mr. crabby... i was trying to post the link 2 weeks ago...

outdoordude
01-12-2014, 08:25 PM
That's what I'm talking about. Their goal is to eliminate hunting and fishing in ca. No hunting or fishing contests in ca. And more, wish I could post the link, but I'm feeling a bit cavemanish. Great link thanks crabby

Reel Fun
04-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Wait 5 years and they will be hanging on trees in Rocklin! The majority of bear hunters did it to enjoy watching the dogs work.....kinda like pheasant hunters. DFW limits the amount of bears killed each year with a quota.....might as well not worry about that anymore! They will never come near the quota without dog hunters. Just another hunting pastime gone.....whats next deer & pheasants and coons? RF

I guess I was right on with this????

Bear wanders into Orangevale before being sent packing - Crime - Sacto 911 - The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/28/6360815/bear-wanders-into-orangevale-before.html)

salmonid
04-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Maybe someone's pet got too large for the basement?

I guess I was right on with this????

Bear wanders into Orangevale before being sent packing - Crime - Sacto 911 - The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/28/6360815/bear-wanders-into-orangevale-before.html)

Pondmn
05-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Save a bear---feed it a liberal greenie!

PapaGreg
05-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Neighbor had the traper out last week because a bear was eating their chickens, got a 350 pounder! The next day, wife and I saw a yearling crossing the road about a mile from our place, guess they're up and about with Spring.

Reel Fun
05-04-2014, 03:14 PM
I wonder why they do not know that banning dogs will be bad for bears? The hound hunters just tossed in the towel and stopped hunting which will add about 2K bears yearly to an already over populated CA! I predict car accidents involving bears along the highways to severely increase this year as well as personal encounters

redneckpunk
05-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Same problems they had a few years back when a couple midwest states decided not to issue deer tags. Over population, disease, increased accidents and fatalities as well as increased incounters with humans. Anyone with common sense understands that management is key....oh wait, common sense doesnt exist among regulators in this state

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reel Fun
05-10-2014, 02:23 PM
I heard that each county will be able to make the call on dogs for bears????

PapaGreg
05-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Reel Fun, hope you're right, there are more bears here in Calaveras county than people realize, including DFW:embarassed: Bears and mountain lions are damn near daily sightings here, if that doesn't alarm you, ask yourself why they are out in the daytime:o.

PapaGreg
06-04-2014, 06:46 PM
lking to the neighbor yesterday, he lost an ewe and 2 lambs to a mountain lion, BUT, 3 bears spotted at his neighbor's last night, MAYBE a 1/2 mile from me!!!!!! Trapper got one about a month ago, 300-350 pounds up the road from us.

They are definiteley here and getting bolder.