PDA

View Full Version : how to catch pacific halibut?

flobob
07-23-2005, 08:42 PM
What is the best technique for catching pacifics? I have dont some fishing for california's in the bay with limited sucsess, but never tried the pacifics. What kind of tackle? I have heard of spreaders bars and a big ass weight, w/ a chovie dropped off that? What line test? Anchor or drift? No live bait avaliable, frozen chovies? What about plastic baits? Anythig else you can think of? Any tide better or worse? What about setting the hook? Or let the fish run w/ it 1st. In the bay we always used a sliding hook so they could take the bait, and not feel the weight.

Thanks very much

nogimmies
07-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Never fished down in the Lower 48 for them ---YET
Plan on doing it soon though
Fished plenty for them up in Alaska --Cook Inlet
Ninilchick /Deep Creek /Anchor Point.
Up there we used Salmon heads,Big herring and cod fillets
in 180-280ft waterwith a rippin big a-- tide.
4lbs of weight and a certified massuse after the battle-I wish.
Thats about all I know but they are opportunistic feeders and if you can find there lair thats half the battle.
I know they fish for them out of Shelter Cove up along the coast near Eureka. I believe Punta Gorda Reef is the Area they go.
I've also heard about them off Cordell Banks and the Farrallons West side toward the end of the Shelf.
Good Luck and Go Whack Em

Rusty_Hooks
07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
They will go to Punta gorda out of Shelter cove but Delgado Canyon is just around the corner from them, within a mile offshore. There have been some nice fish come out of shelter cove....if you can stand the drive up there. ;D

If your brakes can stand the drive up there!!

SwimswithFishes
07-25-2005, 09:53 AM
I don't think you have much chance at Pacific Halibut off the SF coast even though their range is all the way down to Baja. Honestly I've never heard of anyone catching a Pacific butt out of SF. Gotta go farther north.

basil
07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
The party boats up north make their own hair jigs. Nothing fancy just cheap. I'm sure that herring or anchovie would work fine also.

They also us a curced lead weight (about 8 oz) that has a hook in it. You can catch halibut on the lead weight also. Does that tell you something, not real picky eaters!

Here's the most important part, they go to specific places where they know they halibut hang out. The furthest place south I have heard of is somewhere off of Fort Bragg. In the last ten years they have started going to new places farther off shore that have been discovered.

There is no upwelling this year. That means your chances of getting a halibut this far south goes from slim, to just about zero. I would say your best shot is to find somewhere about 30 miles out where there is a raised floor (mesa) in the ocean.

The halibut fishing improves significantly as you go north. That in itself tells you something.

Bottom line is your wasting your time, unless you have some other fish you can target at the same time, maybe something like shark or sanddabs.

flobob
07-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the replies, I am fishing out of HUMBOLDT bay. People have been catching them in about 200 feet of water. Heard of a couple over 50lb fish last week. Just wondering about the techniques. Thanks very much.

kingsmules
07-25-2005, 03:12 PM
I have a friend who fishes off the Oregon coast for the pacifics in 700 feet of water. He says he doesnt reel up to check his bait very often. :o