PDA

View Full Version : Banded Ross

Hof
01-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Ended up with three total but got lucky and shot this Ross with a little ankle hardware. She came for dinner all the way from Canada:krzyhunter4ez::chowtime:

Hof

fishingfrieda
01-08-2014, 01:30 PM
What does the ankle hardware mean?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

DRF
01-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Sweet bling!!!

LURKER916
01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Awesome!

Matt

Hof
01-08-2014, 04:50 PM
fishingfrieda, some waterfowl are banded so they can track their lifespan and migratory patterns. I am sure there is more to it but that is premise behind it. When a hunter shoots a banded bird, you report the serial number along with the location you shot the bird. You then receive information regarding the age, sex, and where the bird was banded. Here is what I received back when I reported the band number.

INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
Species: ROSS'S GOOSE
Date banded: 08/01/2013
Banding Location: 8 S JOHNSON PT, NUNAVUT, CANADA
Sex: FEMALE

Hof

monkey916
01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
good job hof... you got that on your lanyard yet... fire up that smoker....

gadgetman
01-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Well done Hof, I see you have given up my strategy of shooting and
releasing.

Shooting and releasing is my way of describing a missed shot.

DRF
01-08-2014, 06:42 PM
fishingfrieda, some waterfowl are banded so they can track their lifespan and migratory patterns. I am sure there is more to it but that is premise behind it. When a hunter shoots a banded bird, you report the serial number along with the location you shot the bird. You then receive information regarding the age, sex, and where the bird was banded. Here is what I received back when I reported the band number.

INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
Species: ROSS'S GOOSE
Date banded: 08/01/2013
Banding Location: 8 S JOHNSON PT, NUNAVUT, CANADA
Sex: FEMALE

Hof

Man that's some new bling, August last year!! Dang!! Canada to boot. I bet that band has some sharp edges still. Reminds me of when we used to hunt right by a banding station, most of my bands came from with in placer county. I think I have two from Westwood Ca and a card from one of my mallards I shot said it came from Benica Ca. I've never killed a banned ross though, to cool. :thumbup:

Hof
01-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Gadgetman, I still use your strategy A LOT. It is just hard to take a good picture of the release:cheesy: The mods would also have to create a separate sticky titled, "Hof's shoot and release" because there would be so many posts. Thanks to you I consider myself a true conservationist instead of a bad shot......My dog even retrieves my shell casings now just so he has something to go and get.

JrF, the only other banded bird I shot was a wood duck that was banded locally. It was a very young bird. Kind of cool to get one that took the big road trip from Canada.

Hof

K-15
01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Nice bling! always a welcome surprise when the dog brings them back,..got a ross a couple of years back that the band was 12 yrs. old, several thousand miles under that bird. Mike

Hof
01-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Very cool K-15. After 12 years I am sure there were a lot of miles on those wings.

Hof