PDA

View Full Version : pig hunting northern california

woolybuggin
01-10-2014, 09:10 PM
looking to get some advice on where to go pig hunting around here. im going to spenceville next weekend but highly doubt i will even see a pig. all the good places are private property and i dont know anyone with land. any help is appreciated

49erbassman
01-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Good luck! If I ever get back into hunting it will be to hunt pigs. Something I have always wanted to do.

Fish on!

woolybuggin
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Good luck! If I ever get back into hunting it will be to hunt pigs. Something I have always wanted to do.

Fish on!

Then get back in and let's go

lboban
01-10-2014, 10:14 PM
I've heard rument there is supposed to be some around there but have never seen any. I do have a new 1895 SBL I would love to try out on one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

DRF
01-11-2014, 03:45 AM
I know right where the pigs are out there. Problem your gonna have is spenceville is closed to all hunting this time of year. I'm pretty sure it's only gonna open up for spring turkey season, draw only. Then the dove opener. If you want, I may be able to hook you up with some info on public lands hunt. One other problem you might have is that rifle. Change to a bow and you get lots more public hunting access when it comes to hogs.

lboban
01-11-2014, 06:53 AM
Archery works for me as well. I mostly bow hunt anyways.

woolybuggin
01-11-2014, 08:43 AM
I know right where the pigs are out there. Problem your gonna have is spenceville is closed to all hunting this time of year. I'm pretty sure it's only gonna open up for spring turkey season, draw only. Then the dove opener. If you want, I may be able to hook you up with some info on public lands hunt. One other problem you might have is that rifle. Change to a bow and you get lots more public hunting access when it comes to hogs.

Spenceville is open for hunting until jan 31. I have access to a bow but was planning on using a rifle. I want a hog so badly, maybe I'll even book a guide trip.

outdoordude
01-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Lake sonoma, healdsburg, archery only. Best with a boat.

lboban
01-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I will check out Sonoma.

DRF
01-11-2014, 09:30 AM
I knew it was close to this time of year when it shut down. If your looking for a quick fix try pig point ranch...
He might still be guiding. It's 450 per hog and a 70 acre fenced property. Your gonna see hogs there.. He raises them then turns them lose for you to go hunt. I'll pm u in a bit and share what info I have on public lands.

outdoordude
01-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Come to think of it I think I'm going to plan a trip for next weekend to lake sonoma. Then it will rain for sure.

DRF
01-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Come to think of it I think I'm going to plan a trip for next weekend to lake sonoma. Then it will rain for sure.

If I wanted a pig that is exactly were I would start too. That place is crawling with pigs. That or start knocking on doors and ask for permission to hunt private lands.

GUSANO
01-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Try Cache creek or Knoxville WA not the blm plot. Better chances at cache creek but your going to need to do some serious hiking and maybe plan an overnighter into the wilderness. You guys can get to the spots in knoxville fairly easy and you can use dogs. They are around the west side of Knoxville berryessa road over the first ridge, just push through the thick stuff. Again best with dogs. There are pigs around these areas including Spenceville but they are highly highly transient groups. There one day, then gone for weeks. I've been pushing upper cottonwood creek periodically since august and most of what I've found is old sign. Its just too dry still, which is what is going to be my belief for the other mentioned areas. I'm planning on trying out Knoxville the weekend of the 25th mostly for the quail closer but I will be taking my rifle just in case.

The north part of the state did get some recent rain, not much but it might have been enough to get the pigs rooting around Spenceville. The time to go there is now while the ground is still moist.
~

ILuvFishing
01-15-2014, 02:35 PM
theres a free drawing for wild pig hunt on joyce island by grizzly island wildlife right now. the last day for application is feb 10 2014. shotgun or bow only.

CDFW Announces Drawing for 2014 Joice Island Pig Hunt In Solano County | CDFW News (http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/cdfw-announces-drawing-for-2014-joice-island-pig-hunt-in-solano-county/)

woolybuggin
01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
theres a free drawing for wild pig hunt on joyce island by grizzly island wildlife right now. the last day for application is feb 10 2014. shotgun or bow only.

CDFW Announces Drawing for 2014 Joice Island Pig Hunt In Solano County | CDFW News (http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/cdfw-announces-drawing-for-2014-joice-island-pig-hunt-in-solano-county/)

Awesome I'm going to be sending mine in tomorrow thanks