PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Humboldt Squid

PRENTICE
01-04-2010, 06:01 AM
As previously stated in many forms, Humboldt squid are not the best tasting calamari...I however could not disagree more with this. I have prepared them several times now and I have never tried better calamari in my life. It's tender and down right delicious.

What I have done:
I start by removing the membranes on each side, roughly cutting away 1/8" on either side. Then I soak them in water with some sea salt. This time I let them soak over night. The next day I cut them into 3/4" to 1" strips and pounded them flat.

My batter recipes:
I use both a beer batter and a tempura batter.
Beer Batter:
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1-1/2 cups flat beer
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cayenne

Mix the beer in slowly till you get the consistency you desire.

Tempura Batter:
2 cups flour
1-1/2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
2-1/2 cups ice cold water

Mix the ice cold water in slowly till the ingredients are completely wet making sure not to over mix the batter. Lumpy is good!

Get the peanut oil to a temperature of 325 degrees and start frying.

I also made a spicy Chipotle Aioli dipping sauce.
3/4 cup mayo
1-3 chipotle chiles canned in adobo sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/2 lemon juiced
2 tbsp parsley

Combine all but the mayo in a food processor and blend fine. Add the mayo slowly, blending with each addition.

I made fried calamari Po Boys on lightly toasted rolls with a light coat of dipping sauce and mayo on the bread and lettuce and tomato. I also made them with Frank's Red Hot wing sauce and red onion. Either way they were delicious.

I'm yet to do it in a stir fry, but if I was, I would prepare it in a similar way and maybe marinade it in Soy Vey's Very Teriyaki...hands down the best teriyaki marinade out there.

Any body else have any luck preparing these cephalopods?

willis
01-04-2010, 08:45 AM
ya good luck i guess...every one we have caught we cooked that night with no special prep.just clean batter and fry ...i havent had a bad one yet

tunaman
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
It's not the preparation that made them taste good. I am finding out some catch are good and most are very bad. I wish I knew why. I know everyone who caught squid the day I went out found them bad tasting. It is a hit and miss. On one small part of my squid I ate was actually perfect and it was only that one small part and the rest was toxic to the taste. Very strange. The one thing I can only think why this is the case is that after catching squid on the boat, they are not gutted and iced immediately. That is the one thing the charter does not allow. I guess I'd have to go on my own personal trip and do it myself. Did any of you catch them on the Half Moon Bay trip vs the Bodega Bay trip?

willis
01-04-2010, 01:04 PM
iv heard chooping the heads off right away helps also..gonna b launching out off moss landing tommorow

slick88
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Here's a deckhand cleaning a squid in less than a minute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AchRUc1hFfY

hotdog
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Here's a deckhand cleaning a squid in less than a minute:

I noticed that he didn't remove the membrane from the inside, he just took out the guts.

lawski14
01-14-2010, 02:37 AM
yeah, the membrane part is our job... for when we get home... lol

Salty_Dawg
01-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I'll add it to my must try pile.

Cheers [smiley=beer_2.gif] [smiley=beer_2.gif]

PRENTICE
01-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Salty-
No problem. I love fishing, I love cooking and I love eating good stuff and I'm always happy to share info.

The only thing I suggest about deep frying the tempura batter is watch out. Mixing water and hot oil is a dangerous thing. As I can attest, never look directly over the pot. Hot oil may just explode and somehow it has a homing mechanism that always seems to find your face. Thankfully in my case, I had cold water running in the sink at the time and didn't get burned too bad. Just a little light 3-4" red V shaped mark for an afternoon on my forehead. No bueno. But it's all part of the experience.

joel1316
01-23-2010, 04:53 AM
I caught my Giant's out of Bodega Bay. Within a couple of hours of being caught, they were cleaned.

I simply remove both sides of the membranes, let soak in water or milk (don't notice any difference between the two), soak in egg, then into flour and fry. Pretty dam good without a lot of fuss... I'm scared to season as I've "heard" that Giant's absorb seasoning like crazy!
Anyone want any Calamari? I've still got about 30 pounds in the freezer :D

joez3
01-23-2010, 11:57 AM
At the San Mateo ISE, they had a biologist give a talk about these squids. He said that the squids contain ammonia and use it like a swim blader. The ammonia is lighter then water so its helps them float.

fishnfarmer
01-28-2010, 10:33 AM
At the San Mateo ISE, they had a biologist give a talk about these squids. He said that the squids contain ammonia and use it like a swim blader. The ammonia is lighter then water so its helps them float.

Did he mention anything about why the ammonia taste show up in the meat at some times and not others? Ruptured bladder?

PRENTICE
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Hello Father~

I was thinking the same thing. The deck hand on the New Sea Angler told us it was very important not to pop a bladder inside the squid. It was filled with a red colored liquid and he said it would spoil the meat and burn your hands. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Biologist was referring to the same thing.
I'm sure if you burst one, you pretty much have to discard the entire animal to prevent contaminating the entire group.

Yaker
01-28-2010, 11:33 PM
yeah, the membrane part is our job...* for when we get home... lol
The membrane is what makes them taste so sour.