PDA

View Full Version : First go around with Ribs

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I had never cooked ribs before this past weekend. I am quite the cheff around my house but ribs scared me i guess just didn't want to screww them up. Well I decided i would try it oput for this past weekend had some family over and this is what i did. I made a simple rub salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, chilli powder, etc. Slathered the ribs wih this rub after removing the membrain on the back of the ribs. I coated boath sides of the rib with the rub. I then placed the ribs in my smoker for about 5 hours. I have the little cheif electric smoker they were not done so i wraped them in foil and put them in the oven for about 30 min at 300 durring that time i made me sauce i used normal honey smoke bbq sauce an added some sautayed onion, minced garlic, sirachi (asian hoy sauce) honey, brown sugar, mustard and apple cyder vinigar. After the 30 min in the oven i put my grill on med-low and started baisting the ribs building up layer after layer of yummy carmalized sause. ;D ;D ;D Then i served em up with water melon, fresh bread, potato salad, and some sweet tea yeah beer was there to but man can m wife make some lip smaking sweet tea. The ribs were great family is still talking about them a week later. Now what else should i smoke.

Ben

żżż
05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Ben,

First time out, sounds like you did fine. Two things people usually do wrong with ribs is cook them too fast, and not long enough.

I've always done it 'low and slow' and had great results - deep smoke ring, juicy, melts in your mouth. :)

Just wondering, but could you not have continued smoking the ribs and basted there? Only time I bring them in is when I'm tired of going out!

Ribs and whole chickens are a great place to start smoking. When you're ready to go down the rabbit hole, brisket and whole pork shoulder await. ;)

BTW, you'll have to post pictures next time. We cook vicariously through each other. It's more efficient that way. :D ;)