PDA

View Full Version : A shad?

Trout_Terminator
05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I was talkin to some guys at the river today and they said that they deep fry their shad. Was wondering if anyone knows a recipe or two on how to cook these guys. Thanks for the help,

-TT

FisherBoats
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
i find it difficult to eat with the bones, any tips on a way to get the bones out efficiently!?

and as for frying, my uncle just deep fry them and serve or put it in the oven with oil and onions.

Prowler
05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Here are a few recipes. It doesn't look like it's an easy task to de-bone them.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1241403963

sethonious
05-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Cooking Shad all depends on if you catch boy fish or girl fish.

Boys-
Wrap the soft roe with bacon and cook over a smokey grill.

Girls-
Roe can be cooked en papiollets. Make a pouch out of parchment paper sprinkle the eggs with salt pepper dill and lemon zest. Place a pat of butter on top and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 7-10 minutes. Squeeze lemon on top.

If you don't want to buy parchment paper take a paper lunch sack and spray it with the spray oil in a can then put the fish in the sack and fold it up and staple it tight. Works just fine and you don't need to spend money on fancy paper if you have lunch bags lying around.

Trout_Terminator
05-22-2009, 09:22 PM
what does the flesh taste like? i heard that it was sweet because of the omega 3 oils in it.

BIG_ONE
05-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Trim all the fins/tail, scrape off all the scales, gut it and wash it.

Add salt, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, chopped onions, a little bit of fish sauce, soysauce, and oyster sauce, chopped tomatoes, a couple of mint(leaves), basil, chopped asian pepper(if you want some spice, I wouldn't recommend others as I haven't tried it) and add water. this would be for crockpot, cook it 3-4 hours every 3-5 shad in the crock pot, depends how big they are. The bones will all be soft like canned sardine from asian supermarkets.

Sorry I didn't label how much/many of each item should you use, I don't measure my stuff...just grab and cook.

;D