PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib Hash

tc
05-20-2009, 04:32 PM
This is my recipe for Prime Rib Hash, using the leftovers from a Prime Rib dinner, it works equally well with any leftover Roast Beef, and very well with leftover Leg of Lamb. My Wife likes it just the way it comes out of the Oven, much like a very thick Stew, me, I like to take a couple of scoops and put it into a frying pan with a little butter, and fry until it's browned and crispy, then add some shredded jack or cheddar cheese until melted, and finally add a couple of basted eggs on top. This makes a great breakfast or an equally good dinner with some salad on the side.

Tom

Prime Rib Hash

Ingredients:
½ lb. slab bacon, diced into ¼” X ¼” cubes
5 tb. unsalted butter
2 medium Spanish onions, finely diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
6 stalks of celery, including heart and leaves, fine dice
2 large carrots, finely diced
1 lb. mushrooms, coarsely chopped
8-12 red potatoes, ½” X ½” cubes
6 cups leftover prime rib, ½” X ½” cubes
1 tsp. dried red pepper flakes, crushed
2 cups beef stock
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tb. fresh rosemary, finely minced
1 tb. fresh thyme
½ cup Italian parsley, finely minced

Directions:
Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium-low heat to render drippings, add butter until melted. Add onion, cook for 1 minute, add garlic, cook for 4 minutes longer. Add bell pepper celery and carrot, and mushrooms, cook another 5 minutes
Slowly stir in potatoes and leftover prime rib into vegetable mixture. Add the pepper flakes, spices, Worcestershire sauce, beef and vegetable stock, mix well. Cook, uncovered, tossing occasionally, for 30 minutes. Add more stock if the mixture seems to dry.
Preheat the oven to 325°. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 45 minutes.

metalmouth
05-20-2009, 05:13 PM
That's quite the grocery list!

I'll bring 2 bottles of Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet.

Call me when it's time for dinner! :D :) :)

tc
05-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I'll let you know in advance, next time I make it, what's your drive time to Reno?
:o :o :o :o

Tom

metalmouth
05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
I can make it before 5 *pm with bells on my toes! *;D

About 620 miles give or take a rest stop or three. :)

okie
05-20-2009, 05:51 PM
tc, i live in stread, barring traffic problems, i could be there in 10 minutes, but we'd have to keep it a secret from my wife.
bill

MB_Kevin
05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Sounds Great TC!

tc
05-21-2009, 05:29 AM
tc, i live in stread, barring traffic problems, i could be there in 10 minutes, but we'd have to keep it a secret from my wife.
bill

Okie, I think you can make it quicker then 10 minutes, I live in Stead also.
:D :D :D

Tom

okie
05-21-2009, 06:10 AM
what a small world, we'll have to get together sometime.

tc
05-21-2009, 06:40 AM
That, we will.

Tom

¿¿¿
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Great looking recipe! I like how you're 'echoed' some of the same herbs in here that you also used in the roast.

That's a big recipe. You go through that much hash? I think you mentioned that you freeze it too. You must pack it away or you'd be eating that for days!

I like mine a little drier than yours - just enough so it 'holds' together. Pan fried with a couple of over-easy eggs on top - now that's livin'. 8-)